RCW converts- progress?

Comments

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    RCW can I ask you something?

I took a course of Accutane 8 years ago. It totally did what it was supposed to do, but my skin is forever changed. It used to just be sort of thick and oily and impervious to everything, and now it is thin and delicate, though it is decent at keeping itself pretty moist.

I feel like more than ever I can't leave the house without sunscreen for two seconds. I know you don't like or use them and so have no recs, but any speculation on whether the DY or PSF ones would be more decent than something from a drugstore? I've only ever really found one that I can use without some kind of freaky result and it's Neutrogena and may be discontinued now. I'd like to find one without too gross of ingredients.

I don't like the idea of acids. I've never had a chemical peel or anything, but the permanent condition of my skin seems to be close to what I'd expect soon after such a procedure. I don't like the idea of serious acids for this reason. I do like the idea of vitamin C, though.

Any thoughts?
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    ingredients for PSF 30 sunscreen:

spf30_ing.gif
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sage Skin Care has a really great sunblock in SPF 25 and 40 that I've been using for over 10 years now.

I have highly acne-prone skin and this stuff is completely safe for it. It also is supposed to be good for darker complexions [where other sunscreens leave a whitish cast, it does not].

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Octyl Methoxycinnamate UVB, titanium dioxide UVB, octyl salicylate UVA, menthyl anthranilate UVA. INGREDIENTS: Stabilized aloe vera gel, glycerin, carbomer 940, sorbitan stearate, polysorbate 80, dimethicone, sodium PCA, tetrasodium EDTA TEA 99%, methyparaben, propylparaben, diazolidnyl urea.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Hmmmm, I'm not totally thrilled with the urea and parabens, but it's probably better than what I'm using now. Which doesn't even have the ingredients on it any more. They must have been on the box. Arrgh.

And the price is decent too. Whitish cast is not one of my issues, a product like that would probably blend right in lol.

Thanks!
    It's totally a Skin Cancer vs Other Evils situation, I know.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    RCW can I ask you something?

I took a course of Accutane 8 years ago. It totally did what it was supposed to do, but my skin is forever changed. It used to just be sort of thick and oily and impervious to everything, and now it is thin and delicate, though it is decent at keeping itself pretty moist.

I feel like more than ever I can't leave the house without sunscreen for two seconds. I know you don't like or use them and so have no recs, but any speculation on whether the DY or PSF ones would be more decent than something from a drugstore? I've only ever really found one that I can use without some kind of freaky result and it's Neutrogena and may be discontinued now. I'd like to find one without too gross of ingredients.

I don't like the idea of acids. I've never had a chemical peel or anything, but the permanent condition of my skin seems to be close to what I'd expect soon after such a procedure. I don't like the idea of serious acids for this reason. I do like the idea of vitamin C, though.

Any thoughts?

You would probably like Vit C. It gives a lovely glow and it's not harsh on the skin, even though it's acidic. It's not considered an "acid".

Again, I hate, despise, detest sunscreen, and only use it under protest. When someone holds a gun to my head (or I go to the beach), I will apply some to my face. I usually double-up (or triple-up) and apply both a cream and a spray to try to keep from getting sun damage. I try to find something that protects against both UVA and UVB rays. I also wear a hat and look for shade wherever I can. I wash the crap off as soon as possible.

ETA: for my body at the beach, I slap any old sunscreen on. I don't have any body skin issues with sunscreen...other than it feeling awful. I also try to wear clothing that protects my skin from sun damage...I have several long-sleeved breezy white linen shirts that I wear if I'm going to be out in the sun so I can stay cool and still be protected. Also, I usually wear a high-necked swimsuit, which probably explains why my chest doesn't look all crepey and sundamaged like so many other women my age.
    Thanks!

Yeah, I would like to try some of the vitamin C you have recced. I think I will do that.

I always hated sunscreen too, and especially on my face so I totally know where you're coming from. But my skin is so pale and thin now, I think it is just a necessary evil in my case, even for such exposure as commuting to work and back home.

I hate the sun but love swimming. So at a beach I just plaster myself in sunscreen, swim, and then get dressed as soon as possible. I don't tend to dress in things with my chest hanging out, even in summer. And I do like the higher-cut Speedo swimsuits also. If I only showed you my neck and chest, I could look like I'm 25 (as long as the picture didn't show the way certain things tend to hang from my chest) :)
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    Just to update on my previous posts. I had been having some major pore-cleansing going on and it was showing up in the form of whiteheads, mostly all over my forehead. Fortunately, I've managed to make them go away!

What I decided to do is use benzoyl peroxide, 30 minutes after applying the salicylic acid, at night, for a couple of nights in a row. This worked really well to dry up all the zits that came to the surface.

I am also using Olay Microdermabrasion & Peel kit once per week, and I think the manual exfoliation helps too.

Except for a couple of minor blemishes that still need to heal, my skin is looking really great!

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • Twirly GirlTwirly Girl Posts: 53Registered Users
    OK, I've found the routine and now I have a question!

I have relatively oily skin and don't use a moisturiser, however the routine suggests to use PSF HA (Hyaluronic Acid) a drop or two mixed with either ultra emu oil or jojoba oil or PSF balancing oil as a moisturizer - would this be wise for me? Is anyone else with oily skin doing this?

Also, my skin can sometimes get dry from using the Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid, so I guess if I order the PSF 2% I nee dto tak eit super slow?

Thanks!

I have relatively oily skin and don't use a moisturiser, however the routine suggests to use PSF HA (Hyaluronic Acid) a drop or two mixed with either ultra emu oil or jojoba oil or PSF balancing oil as a moisturizer - would this be wise for me? Is anyone else with oily skin doing this?

Also, my skin can sometimes get dry from using the Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid, so I guess if I order the PSF 2% I nee dto tak eit super slow?

Thanks!

Oily-skinned folks usually don't need to use a moisturizer at all. The HA/emu is good for those times when you get a little dry from acid products. Yes, the PSF 2% would be a good place to start.
  • PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Thanks!

Hi Twirly. I have very oily skin, but it can get dry in places. I am using jojoba oil as a moisturiser and so far am finding it to be very good. It moisturises very well but does not make the oiliness any worse. I even put it on the oily areas and it's fine. :)
    Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
    No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.
  • younggrasshopperyounggrasshopper Posts: 422Registered Users
    okay....I am just about to place an order with PSF, but have a quick question:

My skin is normal....maybe in the dead of winter it is a little dry if I am not drinking enough. If I plan to use a moisturizer, do you think the Castile will be too drying?

Also, aside from uneven(ish) skin tone, my MAJOR complaint about my face is dark under eye circles...any suggestions for this? I tried doing a search...but honestly, I am not skilled at searching for things on this website.

TIA!
    HCC + Kenra Condish + Biotera Gel and Leave In + diffusing = beautiful 3A spirals :)
  • LilahLilah Posts: 916Registered Users

My skin is normal....maybe in the dead of winter it is a little dry if I am not drinking enough. If I plan to use a moisturizer, do you think the Castile will be too drying?

Also, aside from uneven(ish) skin tone, my MAJOR complaint about my face is dark under eye circles...any suggestions for this? I tried doing a search...but honestly, I am not skilled at searching for things on this website.

TIA!

If your skin is normal, I would suggest getting some different samples of the PSF cleansers to see which ones don't dry out your skin. There is the castille cleanser which is recommended for oily skinned people and green tea cleanser which I think is more suited for dryer skinned folks. I haven't heard much about the other psf cleanser (the papaya one). DY sells the wheat germ one which I think is recommended for dryer skin too.

I've seen recommendations for this eye gel from PSF:
    Antioxidant & Firming Eye Treatment

cranberry-sm.jpgThis oil-free antioxidant firming eye gel cools, hydrates and helps to reduce puffiness & dark under-eye circles. Gives eyes an instant "lifted" and "open" appearance. Mimetic peptide (SYN®-COLL) provides dermal matrix stimulation & cell renewal without the irritation of Retinol. Two, double-blind in-vivo studies concluded that SYN®-COLL out-performed the leading pentapeptide in decrease in wrinkle depth, wrinkle density and in wrinkle volume. Results are both immediate and cumulative.
    The combination of toning herbal extracts & marine botanicals provide an instant firming effect, while the tripeptide SYN®-COLL works over time to stimulate the dermal matrix and is known to increase collagen production & thicken the dermal layer which thins with age. Cranberry extract provides powerful antioxidant protection against free radicals & the assaults of a harsh environment. Active soy & wheat peptides firm and help to deliver the active ingredients in this formula deep into the skin.

Key Active Ingredients:
    • Gives eye a "lifted" & "toned" appearance
    • Antioxidant & firming eye treatment
    • Dermal matrix enhancing
    • Non-irritating and non-occlusive, perfect for contact lens wearers
    • Oil-free formulation absorbs deep into the skin, will not smudge eye makeup
    • Fragrance free, dye free, alcohol free, cruelty free
    • Convenient & sanitary pump dispenser avoids contamination by fingers
    Key Active Ingredients:
    • SYN®-COLL - Palmitoyl Tripeptide-3 is a small collagen building peptide with significant wrinkle reducing abilities.
    • Chiral Vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol) - Potent antioxidant, moisturizer, and elastin precursor.
    • Organic Aloe - Naturally calms & cools irritated skin and helps to reduce puffiness.
    • Cranberry Extract - Powerful antioxidant. This ingredient has been discovered to be one of natures most effective antioxidants, rich in polyphenols & natural Vitamin C. Natural vasco-constrictor, shrinks tiny blood vessels to decongest & firm eye area
    • Sea Kelp - Firms and tones sagging skin, soothing properties help to decrease puffiness and dark circles.
    You may want to look at the Over 40 board, I think they had a thread going about eye creams.

Good luck!:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For under-eye circles — of which I have a severe case, hereditary, thanks mom! — I have found these work:
    • Patricia Wexler De-Puff Eye Gel [for puffiness, of course, which most people with under-eye circles have]
    • Wexler Under-Eye Brightening Cream
    • massaging the area with the Clarisonic Face Brush
    That last one is my favorite. You're not supposed to use the brush too close to the eye area, but I find if I carefully sneak it in there a bit, it really makes a difference. Just a few seconds to each eye does it.

I got that idea from an online review of the brush and dang if it didn't work.

TIA!

It is best to get a sample of each of the cleansers, but not the papaya. The papaya contains detergents.

At first the castile was too drying for me, but now it is just fine. It could have the extra dry air of winter...not sure.

Vit C is good for brightening an uneven skin tone and and helping with the eye area.

The BHA/SA also helps with neven skin tone. If your skin is not used to BHA/SA, start with the 2%.
    Thanks so much! I will certainly look into the clarisonic brush.
    Do you know...the creams you recommended, are they compatible with this skin care program?
    HCC + Kenra Condish + Biotera Gel and Leave In + diffusing = beautiful 3A spirals :)
    the gentle castile and the green tea cleansing milk are compatible with the clarisonic brush.

aren't you leaving the US soon? not sure if you want to invest in the clarisonic brush just yet. i realize there are voltage converters, but i have heard/read of travelers frying their appliances with voltage converters. i would hate to see you fry a $200 brush.

have you decided on what you are going to buy?
    Do you know...the creams you recommended, are they compatible with this skin care program?

I'm combining them successfully [the Wexler ones].

That is, successfully in the eye area. I'm still totally on the fence with the PSF stuff on the whole. My skin is acne-prone and I am experiencing some pretty bad breakouts right now with this line, but I'm hoping it's a "purge" situation. My skin was great for about 10 days, then it all went kablooey with cystic stuff like I haven't seen in over a decade. :(

If this line does not work for me, I will go back to my beloved Sage, which works very well for me, but costs a lot more money.

I've been using PSF products for about 3 weeks.
    Yeah...about that country leaving...I was in India for all of February and was supposed to (well, I expected to) make the decision to move there. And that is where my life took an unexpected turn. So I seem to be here in the States for a while. But all that is probably for a different thread.

I will wait on the brush for a bit because I am (based on not moving out of the country) moving toward buying a house...yay tight budgeting! So for now I am going to go with the PSF stuff and get the brush later.

I think I am going to try the Green Tea stuff. I figure I would rather use less moisturizer with that than have something that is drying my skin out. Am I being dumb? Also the 2% BHA, Vitamin C, HA, and get some jojaba oil from the health food store. I am debating over the cranberry eye stuff. My brain is somewhere between wanting the circles to go away and having $40 more dollars toward a down payment or a new couch.....hmmmmmm
    wild~hair wrote: »

I'm combining them successfully [the Wexler ones].

That is, successfully in the eye area. I'm still totally on the fence with the PSF stuff on the whole. My skin is acne-prone and I am experiencing some pretty bad breakouts right now with this line, but I'm hoping it's a "purge" situation. My skin was great for about 10 days, then it all went kablooey with cystic stuff like I haven't seen in over a decade. :(

If this line does not work for me, I will go back to my beloved Sage, which works very well for me, but costs a lot more money.

I've been using PSF products for about 3 weeks.

:(

Wild Hair,
    Which products are using? I had some bad break-outs at the beginning. It has gotten a lot better.
    I think I am going to try the Green Tea stuff. I figure I would rather use less moisturizer with that than have something that is drying my skin out. Am I being dumb? Also the 2% BHA, Vitamin C, HA, and get some jojaba oil from the health food store. I am debating over the cranberry eye stuff. My brain is somewhere between wanting the circles to go away and having $40 more dollars toward a down payment or a new couch.....hmmmmmm

Do you know if seaweed bothers you? There is seaweed in the GTCM. Otherwise, GTCM is a good choice. Why not buy a sample of the eye gel? I just received a sample of it in my last order. It is enough to determine if you like it or not.

2% BHA, HA and Vit. C are all good choices.
    OH! I am so dumb! I didn't think you could get a sample of it because I didn't see it on the sample page.....and then I noticed the "NEXT" button on the bottom of the screen. Oh.....how useful.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ok...since I have backed off on using EVERYTHING I got from PSF and just using the cleanser (Green Tea) the cystic breakout is clearing up. I am going to continue to just use the wash and jojoba (if necessary) for a couple of days and then incorporate the Vit C for a week and then if that goes OK add in the BHA. I did email PSF and they were so responsive - they (like RCW) indicated I probably went to fast with all the products and my skin freaked out. They also said by using them all at once I would never know what product might be causing the issue if that was the case.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    Windflower wrote: »

Buying the cleanser, vit c, HA, BHA and balancing oil from PSF will cost approximately $125 + shipping + tax (if applicable)

How long do the products last? Are we talking $125 every 30 days? 60 days? 90 days?

thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    frxncrls wrote: »
    Routine:

Morning:
    Either warm wet wash cloth or cleanser choice
    DMAE - if you are using this - wait 15 to 30 minutes
    BHA - wait 30 minutes
    Vit C - wait 10 minutes
    Either: moisturize, sunscreen, makeup or all three

How do y'all find the time in the morning with all this waiting? I'm tempting to try some of this, but not sure I can fit it in my morning routine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
    Brio wrote: »

Buying the cleanser, vit c, HA, BHA and balancing oil from PSF will cost approximately $125 + shipping + tax (if applicable)

How long do the products last? Are we talking $125 every 30 days? 60 days? 90 days?

thanks.

I am using very little so I am guessing they will last at least 4 months (if not more) for me. And that is with using them 2x a day.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    Routine:

Morning:
    BHA - wait 30 minutes
    Vit C - wait 10 minutes

How do y'all find the time in the morning with all this waiting? I'm tempting to try some of this, but not sure I can fit it in my morning routine.

When I was emailing PSF about my breakout issues this is what their aesthetician indicated about wait time - I have the Vit C and the BHA 2% and HA serum. She did say you should wait for one product to dry/absorb 3-5 minutes:

The only time you need to wait between products is
    if there is a great vairance in pH between 2 products. But with the products you are using, you'll be fine!
    Central Massachusetts

• Pippa8668Pippa8668 Posts: 163Registered Users
    Brio- I only use BHA and then moisturize, so my wait time is less, but even waiting half an hour is sometimes more time than I have. What I do is take the HA and/or jojoba with me (I have a sample so at the moment carrying it with me is easy) and just dab it on in the bathroom after breakfast and before my first class. If I wait longer than 30 min I don't really worry about it- I just do it at the first opportunity.

On second though, I don't use makeup so maybe this idea wouldn't work for most of you. I guess if you just try to wash your face first thing before anything else in your morning routine and then go back right before you leave the house for HA/jojoba?
    3b-ish i think
    off and on CG-er since 2004
    Products: recently wiped the slate clean and am starting over on the search for HG products on a poor grad student budget

thanks.

The cleanser lasts me many months...half a year or longer. HA and oil last me a year. I go through the Vit C and BHA more quickly...maybe a month or two.
    Routine:

Morning:
    BHA - wait 30 minutes
    Vit C - wait 10 minutes

I guess it all boils down to priorities. I spend a good hour on skincare and makeup every morning. It's worth it to me. I do other things in between (dry my hair or eat breakfast during wait times).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file