what about skin

tmmycattmmycat Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 256
Has anyone tried something similar to the Curly Girl method on your skin? Meaning ... no soap, no silicones that would require soap to wash off, washing with a water-soluble moisturizer instead of soap.

I think I just might try it. I already do the no-soap thing for my face. And my face skin is in much better condition than my body skin right now ... less acne and less dryness.

Anyway I will let you know how it goes ... I started my CG routine yesterday so it can be a dual experiment I guess.
shoulder-length wavy - no shampoo/no cones
currently experimenting with water-only washing

Comments

• mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Registered Users Posts: 1,271 Curl Novice
    There are very gentle, moisturizing soaps you can use for your face.

Using silicones is actually alright for skin, because you shed skin cells every day, so it can't build up.

You can check the makeup/skincare board for healthy skin techniques.
  • CrashingGirlCurlsCrashingGirlCurls Registered Users Posts: 29
    Me! I use hair conditioner to clean my skin. I rub it on allll over and then jump into the shower and scrub. Same with my face. Gets everything clean and smelling nice!
    There was set before me a mighty hill,
    And long days I climbed
    Through regions of snow.
    When I had before me the summit-view,
    It seemed that my labour
    Had been to see gardens
    Lying at impossible distances.

Stephen Crane
  • lapushkalapushka Registered Users Posts: 601
    I have sensitive skin & I've used almond oil to cleanse my face ever since I was a child. Our doctor at the time told my mother she best not use soap on my face, just water and almond oil.

You just put a few drops on a cotton ball, then dapple your way around. You'd be amazed at what comes off. When I've applied make-up I do use a soft cleanser (non sulfate one, and without alcohol).
  • curlywurly271curlywurly271 Registered Users Posts: 286
    since going CG i've been trying to extend the same sort idea to my skin (i.e. no soaps etc). i've found sunflower oil to be a really good cleanser and moisturizer
    UK curly :occasion8:

event.png
  • memesmemes Registered Users Posts: 785
    Not entirely but I do use a soap free cleanser on my face and avoid products that have silicones at the top of the ingredient list. I also use either sulfate free shampoo or conditioner as a body wash....I thought I was the only one but I see others here do the same.

M
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I have been bathing with homemade soaps lately. But before that, I was using a body wash that was made by a lady that basically had milk, lavender, and some oils in it (she didn't write the ingredients down, she juts read the off to me). The body wash didn't lather. It left my skin very moist. Then I used a lavander based body moisturizer once out of the shower. I also currently use an oatmeal sugar scrub (it has some EO's in it to). That really helps with dryness.
  • tmmycattmmycat Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 256
    it is nice to see so many people not using soap! I don't feel quite so weird now. :) those are all very interesting ideas.

my body acne completely went away when I stopped using soap & shampoo. did anyone else notice the same effect?

For the past 2 weeks I have been washing with either sweet almond oil, or hot water, or a homemade concoction of aloe, oil, and essential oils. My skin seems to love all three of those.

There was only one day where I left a soaplike substance touch my skin (runoff from shampoo the one day I shampooed). I rinsed for 10 minutes straight but immediately after that shower I was so itchy and the next day I had zits on my back. So I'm convinced. No more shampoo or soap for me in the shower, ever.

I do still wash my hands with soap though... I haven't quite made that mental leap to stop using soap on my hands. :)
    shoulder-length wavy - no shampoo/no cones
    currently experimenting with water-only washing
  • memesmemes Registered Users Posts: 785
    I originally gave up sulfates for my skin...not my hair but I ultimately found that it was good for both. I had constant skin issues, especially on my neck and back, when I used sulfate shampoos regularly.

M
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file