CO method, shedding

lapushkalapushka Registered Users Posts: 601
I've tried the CO method on several occasions. It doesn't work for me because my hair's too oily and because I shed like mad. I don't know what it is, but conditioners applied to the root are a big no-no for me. If I only use conditioner on the length for CWC, even if the product even just makes slight contact with my scalp, I shed.

I seem to have this with Suave, Inecto, Garnier, L'Oréal, Sunsilk products... I don't have it with Jessicurl products or De Traay, Urtekram (natural brands). Because I use a lot of conditioner, the natural, more friendly brands are way too expensive to use on a regular basis.

I have the same type of shed with some shampoos, but have found shampoos that are okay to use. The only thing is... I can't seem to find a big brand conditoner that doesn't make me shed.

Does anyone have the same kind of problem with conditoners?

Comments

• CuriousgirlgeCuriousgirlge Registered Users Posts: 95
    Yep. I shed like mad. I'm still trying to figure it all out. They say if you have wavy hair co-washing isn't going to work, so maybe our hair isn't curly enough? My hair comes out in clumps sometimes when I co-wash.
  • lapushkalapushka Registered Users Posts: 601
    It is remarkable, because I tried applying conditioner to one side of my head, not the other side. I only had problems with shedding the side the conditioner was on. The other side maybe lost about 10 hairs.. the conditoner side, well it just came out more like 5 to 10 hairs every few inches.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I've been shedding pretty badly since around February. I would only shampoo every 5-6 weeks, but I started shampooing frequently with Chagrin Valley soaps. I think it has helped since the shedding has been reduced.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    I seem to have this with Suave, Inecto, Garnier, L'Oréal, Sunsilk products... I don't have it with Jessicurl products or De Traay, Urtekram (natural brands). Because I use a lot of conditioner, the natural, more friendly brands are way too expensive to use on a regular basis.

If you have it narrowed down to certain brands, that would just about have to be an ingredient sensitivity. Do you have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in your area? They have cheapo condish without too gross of ingredients.
    It does depend on the product, I have the same experience. Not that I've tried CV soaps, but other more natural products.
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    If you have it narrowed down to certain brands, that would just about have to be an ingredient sensitivity. Do you have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in your area? They have cheapo condish without too gross of ingredients.

Sadly, no. I'm European (Belgium). Bio Shops only carry Urtekram, De Traay, ... some others and they cost a lot, especially the conditioners.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I had the same problem with CO washing and I did it for nearly 2 years.

Lost a LOT of hair. :(

Now I'm realizing that even creamy shampoos do the same thing - make me shed like crazy. I've been losing much less hair using clear shampoos and conditioning mainly the ends and working a little bit of conditioner up to the top of my head.

CO washing is a great idea for your hair, but it's horrible for my scalp.

Hope you find what works for you. :)
    Thanks. :) I'll let you know if I find out what it is that makes me shed.

I have a sneaking suspicion though, that it's the alcohol in the conditioner, because I have it with so many conditioners. Could maybe be the preservatives too. Cones, no cones... doesn't make a difference at all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file