So, how much do you spend...?

I was just balancing my checkbook and was *shocked* by how much I'd spent at Curlmart and Jessicurl this month. :shock: :shock: :shock: Of course, I save tons of money by not getting my hair relaxed and cut every 6 weeks. I guess it all evens out in the end! :wink:
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It depends on when you ask me. :) If I've run out of products all together, my staples would cost me about $50('poo, condish, leave in, and gel). But the good thing is that I try to buy larger containers, so that they last me at least 3 months. I just recently ran out of shampoo (two weeks ago), that I purchased back in April. I think a 33.8 oz of shampoo that's used a least 2 times a week, lasting 5 months, is pretty darn good. :)

So, I guess this would be me at the "$25 or less a month" range. :)

There are occasions where I buy new stuff to experiment, but it still averages out to less than $25 a month(spread over 12 months).
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    I voted between $25-50. I think there was one month that I over did
    it. :oops: So, I put myself in PJ jail. I've used up a lot
    of the stuff. I'll be able to start buying again at the end of the month! :twisted:
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • kimmyckimmyc Posts: 551Registered Users
    I pretty much spend $25-50. Once in a while on a special occasion (like a Jessicurl $5 flat rate shipping) I spend a bit more to stock up. Other than that it's the $25-50 range. Last month though I didn't spend anything. I'm sure there are random months in there where I don't spend because I'm stocked up.
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    I spend nothing on new products now, because I'm really happy with a very simple routine.

That's not to say getting here didn't cost me hundreds of dollars, I'm ashamed to admit.

:oops:

M
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    Err...much more than I really should. :shock: But close to the $40 range, althout the last 3 months it's been the 2nd option because I was running out of many things. I'm counting buying stuff off the swap board as well.
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • knhardeknharde Posts: 100Registered Users
    I'm over $75 :( Mostly because of the protein treatments I buy. Those added $30-60--depending on how often I do them. This past month though, was excessively costly: I splurged on a liter of Aveda sap moss shampoo, 3 sap moss concentrates, some Nexxus conditioners, Biolage protein treats, & Rasta leave in condish :shock: Need to cut up the credit card....
    4a/b, a little 3c at the crown; current faves: Anita Grant, Qhemet, Oyin...natural since 2000...(currently 15 inches)
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    mayim wrote:
    I spend nothing on new products now, because I'm really happy with a very simple routine.

curious to hear what your new very simple routine is?
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I've been buying expensive stuff, but I make it last.

PixieCurl wrote:
    mayim wrote:

curious to hear what your new very simple routine is?

LOL

It's scary simple!

I condition wash with Avalon Organics Botanicals (from my old 'cone free formula stash) maybe once a week.

Other days I just massage, rinse, condition the length. Leave a lot in, quick cool rinse.

Do a haphazard combination of microfiber plop, diffuse, air dry.

Spritz on some lavender mist mixed with above condish as it dries.

Sometimes use a smidge of Kenra pomade at the end to define.

_____

If my hair feels blah or weighed down, I wash with the Avalon 'poo (coco betaine). I haven't felt the need lately though.

Once every one to two months I use Aveda Detoxifier followed by the Jessicurl homemade DT recipe.

That's it!

M
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Posts: 370Registered Users
    Less than $25 dollars. I just use store-brands. I haven't really experimented with my hair that much lately. Before I learned to deal with my hair, I'd probably spend over a $100. I tried just about every frizz-fighting thing you could think of. Never worked. I fried my hair by straightening it. It's definitely cheaper to go natural.
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Other than Elucence and Jessicurl products, I only use very inexpensive products that I can easily find at any grocery store or drug store. And I use lots of "kitchen" products, which are also cheap. My hair loves the products I use, so there's no reason to spend more.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    so mayim, if i'm reading correctly, you don't use gel? i wanna see pics!!!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Posts: 343Registered Users
    it varies month to month. i'm terrible at budgeting - sometimes i'll blow a ton of money on haircare products, but then i'll *try* (and generally fail) to be good for a little while. on average it's probably been about $50 a month since i fell under the influence of all you PJ's (*cough* KimberKurl *cough*) out there. :P :twisted:
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
    PixieCurl wrote:
    so mayim, if i'm reading correctly, you don't use gel? i wanna see pics!!!

Yep - that's correct! I was using the Biotera Gel from Sally's, but it was such a soft hold, and I was using so little of it, I thought - eh, let's see what it does without it - and lo and behold!

I know - I've been needing to post new pics! My hair has gotten longer, and I got a different cut too. Someone borrowed my camera, so I'll post new pics as soon as I get it back.

:D

M
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file