Revelation: I'm a Botticelli!!

For my entire 22 years on this planet, I never knew what TYPE of hair I was.
I could not, for the life of me figure it out. I knew my hair was too curly to be wavy, but not curly enough to be curly.
My curls are very vertical and flat. I have a STRONG s-pattern that looks like it WANTS to spiral, but never quite gets there til the very end of the strand.

They're rope-y (my mom says my tendrils look like a rope would if it were unwound) and I couldn't figure it out, until I saw BotticelliBabe's pictures (TY again!).

Her hair is EXACTLY how mine looks. So, there. I'm a Botticelli Babe, too! :)

Here's my question - How do I know if I'm a 2C Botticelli or a 3A Botticelli? I have a TON of fine/medium hair, either way you look at it, but because Botticelli curls look like DEEP waves or flattened curls, I can't figure out if I'm more of a curly or wavy.
Also, aren't 3A's technically with thin hair? I don't have anything close to thin hair.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, I'd love to hear from fellow-Botticelli's!

Thanks!
2C/3A-F-iii

Pics (pw: growout):
http://public.fotki.com/Csteen85/

CG since March 2nd, 2008

Currently Using:
Co-Wash: DevaCurl No Poo
Conditioner: DevaCurl One Condition or AOHR not completely rinsed out
Styling (any of the following): AG Re:coil, MOP C-Curl, La Bella Lots of Curls Gel, Angell, KCKT and/or KCCC, AG Mousse-Gel, PM Conditioning or Extra Body Sculpting Foam

Comments

• SpunGoldSpunGold Posts: 454Registered Users
    CSteen85 wrote: »
    Also, aren't 3A's technically with thin hair? I don't have anything close to thin hair.

I think you're confusing thin with fine. When it comes to typing 2's, A=fine B=medium C=coarse. This is the thickness of the individual hair strands, not the amount of hair in general.

When typing 3's, it's more about the tightness of the curl.

That said, I'm a 3A with very fine strands, but a whole lot of hair (thick).

I'm not very good at typing, but I'm sure someone will chime in with some thoughts.

Hope this helps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fia type: 3a/F/ii Pics! Updated 04/22/10
    CO Wash: Suave Coconut
    Leave-in: Deva Heaven in Hair
    Current Styler: Fuzzy Duck Gel
    finally at waist length!
  • BotticelliBabeBotticelliBabe Posts: 1,574Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You are SO welcome!!! I'm just glad I was able to help in my own odd way! *lol*

I actually call myself a 2c/3a because I have both on my head. My canopy is 2c, and underneath is 3a. So, you may not need to pick just one - lots of us have more than one type, some as many as three (the 3's and 4s are really good at that!)

Your mom described "our" hair well. *lol* I call myself deeply waved to curly - that way I don't have to choose, or I would hurt my brain. :laughing7:

Oh oh oh...I almost forgot - for second day hair, if you're going to plop, wet down REALLY well first. You gotta be pliable. Otherwise, your ropes will not curl up, but fold instead and then dry all goofy. I was going to try just rinsing (not actually water washing, but not cowashing either) to essentially get back to square one for styling without cowashing, but I haven't tried it yet. If you do it, let me know how it goes!

Ok - I really gotta go eat now! *lol*
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    http://www.BotticelliBotanicals.etsy.com
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

Botticelli Botanicals Meringue
    Botticelli Botanicals Smoothie
    Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd w/ double avocado oil and double agave
    Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter
  • Sarah_Smith_BotticelliSarah_Smith_Botticelli Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I just figured out yesterday that I have Botticelli curls! But no matter how much gel I put in, it goes from really curly when wet to really straightened out when dry. I have thick, blonde hair, and it's on the longer side, about an inch (naturally curled) bellow my armpit. I have "Virgin" hair. I shower at night, plop over night and defuse a little in the morning (and three washes ago I started the CG method and my hair's getting curlier). Do I just keep doing the CG method and hope the curls start to stay for a longer amount of time? it takes about an 1/2 hour to flatten out. I'm also in a humid cold climate so I know that really doesn't help and I've been adding more and more leave-in conditioner to my hair every time I wash. Tips and tricks would be wonderful. I'm trying to do all the research I can. but it's actually really hard for me to find anything about Botticelli curls. I'm in the type 2's type of curl but I don't know which one exactly. My hair is a bit frizzy, a lot if I brush it, which I've stopped doing.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to CurlTalk @Sarah_Smith_Botticelli!

Your hair might need some protein to keep the waves going all day.  I can tell when my hair needs protein is when my curls all fall out.

Another thought is that plopping overnight is taking out too much of your gel.  Try taking the plop out before you sleep and see if that helps.  You can do a pineapple up on top of your head for sleeping.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file