Want to go CG but build up!

bibblesbibbles Registered Users Posts: 54
I have tried to go shampoo-less several times, the problem I have is that I get build up. I have fine 3b hair and on a good day I can get lots of corkscrew curls.
At the moment I use Aussie shampoo and conditioner, I can only use a very small amount of condish as my hair becomes too soft and fluffy. I then use Boots pink cream which gives me beautiful defined ringlets (its the best thing I have ever used), Its CG but I need to use a Poo to get it all out otherwise my hair ends up limp and dull.
I maybe one of those people who's hair needs shampoo.
I live in the UK and cg friendly products are hard to find. Any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    Have you tried any of the clarifying methods in CG like lemon cleanse or vinegar rinse?

What technique have you used when attempting to co-wash? The book concentrates on scrubbing the scalp, but if your length feels producty you might have to smooth more conditioner down it and rinse it more.
  • bibblesbibbles Registered Users Posts: 54
    Hi R crrl
    I like the vinegar rinse but not sure if doing it right. Do I use it instead of a poo and if so, do I dilute and soak the hair then rinse away (it smells).
    I have been using co but only a very small amount because my hair can become overconditioned very easily. This may be why I'm not getting on with CG, I didn't realise that co could remove buildup.
  • CalamityMCalamityM Registered Users Posts: 541 Curl Novice
    I tried to go CG, but my hair just did not like it. My curls got weighed down, and I was left with stringly, barely wavy hair. It took a week of shampooing every other day to get my hair back in shape. I have thick hair, but it's fine. I didn't matter what product I tried (and I tried a lot of conditioners), my hair just did not do well without shampoo. I tried all the natural solutions I could think of! Nothing helped much. Some people just can't give up shampoo!

I have switched to a totally natural shampoo now though. I still do vinegar rinses a few times a week, because it makes my hair look really shiny! Dont' worry about the smell. It totally goes away once your hair is dry. I mix about a tablespoon of vinegar in with a cup of water, and then pour this over my hair. I rinse it really well afterwards, then put my conditioner on.
    CalamityM
    I am going to give CG one more try by increasing the amount of co as Riot suggested.
    Washed with co this morning then raked in a small amount of pink Boots and then a smidgen of gel, It's still damp 2hrs later.
    If this doesn't work then I shall have to go back to shampoo!:sad8:
  • prettysinisterprettysinister Registered Users Posts: 67
    When trying CG, are you still using the Aussie conditioner? A few of them have silicones, so on their own, they may build up.
    OMG, I've just checked and yes it has a cone!
    Today I clarified my hair with Aussie poo and put the last of my mop top conditioner in (scrapping the bottle), then a small amount of pink boots, oh and a vinegar rinse. My hair is yuk, no curl on the canopy and a little bit stringy. Now what could of happened to make it misbehave this way?
  • WildflowerWildflower Registered Users Posts: 112
    Ive been CG for just on a month now..and the first three weeks are the worst.

i have fine 3B hair, and have found it to be one of the best things I ever did.

As I said in another post....on the weekend I did the baking soda rinse, which cleaned everything as good as shampoo did, but without the dryness.

I very much doubt I will ever go back to shampoo!

The only products I use now are:
    • MOP Mixed Greens Conditioner
    • KMS Curl Up (clear gel, no cone, a bit expensive, but you only need a little bit)
    • MOP Leave in Conditioner
    • MOP C Curl Definition Cream - not so fussed on this though.
    pw: curls
  • KitaraKitara Registered Users Posts: 1,224
    bibbles wrote: »
    Today I clarified my hair with Aussie poo
    You might want to double check your shampoo. All the of the Aussie shampoos I've seen have silicones. That's not to say they don't make silicone free though, just thought I would throw that out there.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, it's important to clarify first, then make sure you use conditioner (and styling products) that do not have silicones and waxes, as they cause build-up.
    Use a light conditioner to CO wash, such as Suave Natural conditioners or Alberto VO5 conditioners. You might also want to avoid protein in hair conditioner and styling products.
    Hope that helps,

Boomygrrl
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    Boomygrrl wrote: »
    Yeah, it's important to clarify first, then make sure you use conditioner (and styling products) that do not have silicones and waxes, as they cause build-up.
    Use a light conditioner to CO wash, such as Suave Natural conditioners or Alberto VO5 conditioners. You might also want to avoid protein in hair conditioner and styling products.
    Hope that helps,

Boomygrrl

Would also like to add, make sure you are rubbing in the light conditioner into your scalp/hair and let it sit for a few minutes, in order to wash out dirt, styling product, etc.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file