CurlTalk

Did your hair go curly at puberty?

CaliCali Posts: 475Registered Users
When I was reading responses to posts and threads and all kinds of things, I noticed that a lot of you didn't start off curly.

When puberty came around, your hair poofed up! So how many of you exactly did that happen to? I wanna know! When I was a newborn I had..eh..a reasonable amount of hair and it was straight. But as I aged it went curlier and curlier. By the time I was 5 months old my hair went crazy curly. So I can't remember not having curly hair.

Were you born with it or did it come later on in your life? Not that it makes your hair any less special, but I was wondering who.
.png
"Women are made to be loved, not understood."

Comments

• Rubber BiscuitRubber Biscuit Posts: 1,294Registered Users
    I had gorgeous 2b/c hair until I was about 12 or 13 and then I woke up one day with ringlets spiraling everywhere. So I cut it all off and began straightening :( Silly me!
    - Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
    - Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I didn't have curls till puberty. When it was humid I would get little curls in the fine, short, wispy hairs around my nape, but the rest was totally straight.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Posts: 370Registered Users
    Mine did. My hair was straight until I hit puberty and then it went crazy. It started off wavy and then got curlier. I have waves and ringlets, especially underneath. I hated my new waves and curls at first which was ironic since I grew up wanting curls and waves. But I discovered this site and learned how to work with my waves and curls and now I love my hair! No more straightening for me! My mom's hair actually did the same thing, so for me, there were genetics involved too.:flower:
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • msjananimsjanani Posts: 624Registered Users
    Mine got curly with puberty too.
    3A low/medium porosity, medium texture

Current products:
    Stylers: HE Tousle Me Softly, Condition 3-in-1 Mousse
    Conditioners: Terax Crema, Mill Creek Botanicals Henna Conditioner
    Cleanser: DevaCurl NoPoo

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Ftheevolutionofcurl%2F" class="Popup
  • madmb20madmb20 Posts: 117Registered Users
    my hair was super straight when i was young and my mom started perming it in 2nd grade. then twice a year until grade 6. after that it was a frizzy mess which i faithfully straightened every day. in college i cut all hair off and it grew back wavy/curly. now i spend every day trying 2 get it 2 curl more.
    2A/B
    still working on it
    :wink:
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I had a perm in college that never grew out :toothy7:
    2b/3a.
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    Born curly. I just didn't accept it until I was 36. :)
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    born really really curly, probably 3b or almost 3c, then after my first hair cut it settled down in thick 2a-b from 1st grade on. Then puberty and BAM. curly all over again.
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• AmbicurlerAmbicurler Posts: 8Registered Users
    My hair was probably 2A when I was a kid and then around 12-13 it poofed up. If I let it air dry it was like each individual hair went its own separate way and there were no real curls at all (it still does this if I brush it out and let it air dry without scrunching it). So I blew it out with a huge barrel brush every day. For example:

interlochen.jpg

If the hair wasn't bad enough, we had to wear knickers as part of our uniform. This was the summer between 8th and 9th grade at Interlochen Arts Camp in Michigan. It looked like that for the better part of middle and high school. I didn't figure it out until one summer when I was home from college I let it air dry because it was so hot outside and the under layers started spiraling. That was when I started trying to figure out how to wear it curly.

I wish my husband didn't have the camera with him, because I'm having a good hair day today! :toothy7:
    2C/3A, currently:
    CO Wash - VO5 Chamomile Tea
    CO - Suave Humectant Conditioner
    Generic PM The Conditioner scrunched it, followed by Aussie Dual Personality Mousse + Leave in Conditioner, and a few blobs of HESMU scrunched on top.

Scrunch with MF towel, air dry for about 15 minutes, diffuse until mostly dry, air dry some more, come back and scrunch in some more mousse and then diffuse until completely dry. Curls are unusually well defined and clumpy!

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FAmbicurler%2F" class="Popup
  • curlywurly271curlywurly271 Posts: 286Registered Users
    i'm not really sure what my hair looked like as a child because my mum used to blow dry it straight every the whole time. but I would definitely say it's gotten curlier over the years, especially during puberty
    UK curly :occasion8:

event.png
  • RingletCurlGirlRingletCurlGirl Posts: 193Registered Users
    My hair was only wavy when I was younger so I always thought I just had wavy hair. Once I hit puberty my hair went CRAZY! RINGLETS RINGLETS RINGLETS! I love my hair now.
    Type 3a, Medium Texture, High Porosity Happy to be curly :toothy4:
    Currently Using:
    • Co-Wash: Suave Coconut Conditioner
    • Rinse out: Oyin Honey Hemp or AOHR
    • Leave In: KCKT
    • Stylers: AG Recoil, JC CCCS, KCCC
    • Gels: BRHG
    Experimenting with: CJ Products!
    I am a MAJOR PJ!! It's an addiction I know!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FRingletCurlGirl%2F" class="Popup New Pics added 6/29/09!!!!!
    pw: Boing
  • alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,193Registered Users
    Mine was slightly wavy until puberty, then it got really curly. I fought the curls until college, then I set them free! (funny how a busy "grown-up" schedule of class, work and studying lessened my desire to spend time straightening my hair. :toothy7:)

I do love my hair now. The last time I got it flat-ironed, just for the heck of it about four years ago, I did NOT like it.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • CurlyBrunetteGirlCurlyBrunetteGirl Posts: 83Registered Users
    I remember seing a photo of me at three with pretty loose ringlets. After five, mom started attacking with a brush.

So, I'm a born curly, but I blame the hairbrush for any misconceptions I've had that my hair was straight. (I burn it tonight, along with my flat iron and my 'miracle' straightening products).
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    Mine's always been like it is now. The kind of submission it's been beaten into over the years, however, is not fit for public discussion.

I don't remember puberty doing anything in particular to my hair, good or bad.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • NotinabottleNotinabottle Posts: 303Registered Users
    My hair was mostly straight as a kid. I still had a lot of it, and it was thick. Then my mom decided to give me a perm. After that I all i remember is curly hair.
    3a/b Thick, dry, in need of a haircut.
    HG's: Giovannia Smooth as Silk Conditioner and Aura Hypoallergenic Gel.

Whee a fotki!/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FNotinabottle%2F" class="Popup
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Curly from birth 'til present (33 years old). My curls never changed but my hair color did. Blonde until I was 10 and brown until 21 and now brown and grey. :glasses9:

Speckla
  • marybethmarybeth Posts: 342Registered Users
    Went curly in the third grade, after Mom had me get a "shag" so that would have made me about 9 years old. I always smoothed my curls with hot rollers and blew it out with a round brush and blow dryer. Didn't start doing the curly thing until a couple of years ago, can't believe it took me that long, I am 43 now!

3Aer...Botticelli Curls

• KeeweeKeewee Posts: 1,376Registered Users
    As a baby I had some ringlets but then growing up I guess you could say I was a wavy, and once I hit puberty It started curling but of course I was always fighting it. Until 2 years ago, now I have hair I always wanted. lol
  • rejoicingcurlygirlrejoicingcurlygirl Posts: 654Registered Users
    Hey MB, great to see you, i've missed you!

My hair was stick straight until around 2nd grade then it turned curly, i think it was around the time of my first major haircut, maybe we have baby hair like baby teeth and when it's gone the new curly hair is there :laughing7:
    3A; I have HG products!
    Curl enhancer: Mop-C curl cream
    DT: Deva Heaven in Hair; JC WDT
    Gel: B&A; Arc Angel
    Conditioner: Deva OneC; JC too shea
    Frizz fighters: CK, JCS C&S
    PW: curlynow
  • GettinControlGettinControl Posts: 828Registered Users
    I was born a curly and always had hair that expanded. From what I know I had softer hair until puberty hit which is when it started getting more coarse and thicker.
    3a/b medium/coarse combo(w/some fine strands), normal porosity, normal elasticity(strong)
    Komaza analysis 2015: medium to coarse combo(some fine strands), normal porosity, strong elasticity, healthy hair
    Goosefootprints 2013: moderately coarse with some medium; low porosity at roots, normal thru shaft, porous ends, normal elasticity
  • Katina128Katina128 Posts: 560Registered Users
    I was a straight haired child, mostly. A few slight waves I guess. But, nothing like now. I started with a perm in the 5th grade. I grew it out and cut it off, but eventually came back to perms until I was pg with my first child. I didn't want to perm it any more b/c of the chemicals, but I realized that it was curly even without the perm. I think it was pregnancy that really made it curl more.
    Katina, 3a redhead with spirals/waves
    My Faves:
    CJ CCCC Lite, Mirracurls gel, Marie Dean Curly Styling Cream
  • curlylexcurlylex Posts: 104Registered Users
    I was born with barely any strawberry blond hair, and by the age of 2 I had big loopy curls.

This straightened out completely, and by age 9 I had straight hair. I had a big chop and as it grew out, it became wavier and curlier. Puberty hit, and things really went wild. Unfortunately, the hair was still pretty short and the growing out process painful.
    3b, superfine, natural colour
    Complete CG from May 2007 - Mod CG starting June 2008 - no sulfates, no cones

There was a little girl, with a little curl
    Right in the middle of her forehead
    When she was good
    She was very, very good
    But when she was bad she was horrid!

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • amy51373amy51373 Posts: 1,204Registered Users Curl Novice
    Went curly during puberty. Until then my hair had been super straight.
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
  • marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    Thank God someone else brought this up. I was afraid to use the words "curly hair" and "puberty" in the same sentence!:laughing7: Anyhoos that's what happened to me. My father has thick wavy hair (so does my bro) and my Mom and I have curly hair (hers is more than mine) but as a child I had stick straight hair that resisted curling. Then when I was about 12 it began to wave and since I always blow dried it straight I didn't notice how curly my hair got until I was about 18 or 19 when I embraced my curls(though I still didn't know how to care for them). However I had really healthy hair when I used Biolage and the Conditioning balm and had my hair trimmed every 4-6 weeks. Now I can't find what my hair needs.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FTLGuerrero%2F" class="Popup

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz
  • mdwileygrlmdwileygrl Posts: 89Registered Users
    My hair was pretty wavy as a child, maybe 2A, but then 7th grade - and the mullet - rolled around, and it was short enough that I didn't notice any real curl. Then, high school...and Bon Jovi! Perms, teasing, AquaNet... Oh god, the horror! When I was a senior in HS, I got a new, male stylist and he insisted I stop perming, that my hair was curly enough by itself. I've always had very thick and heavy hair, but it never got really curly until I was about 21, when my perm finally grew out after 3 1/2 years. It seems the older I get, the curlier it gets. I'm 39 now, and it's all spirally. Weird - but I love it. I can't imagine having poker-straight hair - curls suit my personality!:laughing5:
    Waist length spirals - 3a/b
    Fave co-wash: Suave Coconut
    Fave shampoo: Batia & Aleeza, Chagrin Valley shampoo bars (once every 2 weeks)
    Fave conditioner: Back to Basics green tea
    DT: Curl Junkie banana/hibiscus
    Styling: BotticelliBabe's gelee, brulee and butter - all natural and AWESOME!!!

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,679Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Born curly here. All I remember of it at puberty was that it was really bushy and frizzy and seemed not that curly, but that was because I brushed it - not knowing any better. It's probably always been basically the same.
    3b in South Australia.
  • ACHACH Posts: 245Registered Users
    I'm a puberty curly. This scares me that I will lose them when I hit menopause. :(
    Amy
    2b/3a-ish at times
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FAHopewell1%2Fhair%2F" class="Popup
    PW hair

Currently using
    Jessicurl HCC
    Aloeba
    CK
    AG Liquid Effects
  • LadyNoaLadyNoa Posts: 320Registered Users
    i was born curly, with tight 3B (maybe even a little 3C) hair. don't really know what happened after LOL my mom always brushed my hair and put it up in a ponytail or something, cause i hated the hair hanging in my face.
    it became more wavy as i got older, and i always wore it up in a bun or in a braid. (i hated my frizzy/weird hair)
    when i was about 15 i started coloring my hair and always wore it pulled back tight so no curl or whatever could escape from it's "prison".
    my ex mother-in-law did the colouring for me after a few mistakes i made, and she discovered my curly hair, and begged me to wear it down.
    i never did until about a year ago LOL. (i even stopped colouring my hair)
    now that i've found the right products to care for my hair, and thanks to this site with all of you beautiful curlies i really love my curly hair!
    i straightened it last week just for fun, but didn't like it at all!! when i was younger i always wanted arrow straight hair, but now i get bored with it LOL!!
    Hairtype: 3A/3B
    Co-Wash: Enliven (Raspberry)
    Conditioning: Nubian Heritage Conditioner, Enliven , KCKT
    Leave In: Shea Butter Leave In, Mixed Chicks, (trying) GDLI
    Styling: L'Oreal Invisi FX gel, Blended Cutie Down and Out Styles,Jessicurl RR & CCSS, CK, (trying) Pink Boots & KY(waiting for CK to arrive)
    Currently: Experimenting.
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users
    Ambicurler wrote: »
    My hair was probably 2A when I was a kid and then around 12-13 it poofed up. If I let it air dry it was like each individual hair went its own separate way and there were no real curls at all (it still does this if I brush it out and let it air dry without scrunching it). So I blew it out with a huge barrel brush every day. For example:

interlochen.jpg

If the hair wasn't bad enough, we had to wear knickers as part of our uniform. This was the summer between 8th and 9th grade at Interlochen Arts Camp in Michigan. It looked like that for the better part of middle and high school. I didn't figure it out until one summer when I was home from college I let it air dry because it was so hot outside and the under layers started spiraling. That was when I started trying to figure out how to wear it curly.

I wish my husband didn't have the camera with him, because I'm having a good hair day today! :toothy7:
    Hey you had my hair !! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

I remember those brushing out sessions only too well. I still cringe thinking of my mother coming at me with the brush. Summer was the worst.

My hair was always curly, but it went more wavy when I was pregnant. It took about 5 years for my curls to return after the pregnancy. It may have actually been sooner, but I started blowing it straight.

It would be hilarious to see all the pictures of us as kids .. I bet we had similar hair styles !!!
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    Yup. I went from a slight wave in 7th grade to a :afro: in 8th grade.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC