co wash vs. no poo

curly01curly01 Posts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Is there a difference between co washing and using something like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Deva No Poo[/buylink]? I'm wondering if it is a waste to even have the No Poo. It seems like most folks here just do a co wash for the same purpose. Or would you co wash daily and then do a No Poo weekly (or some variation of those two).

Comments

• CuriousgirlgeCuriousgirlge Posts: 95Registered Users
    I was wondering that, too. I used the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Deva no poo[/buylink] today and it seemed like it was just another conditioner.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    I have not invested in it for exactly this reason. Cheap conditioner gets the job done fine.
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i consider co-washing the same as No Poo.. unless you use something heavier for co-washing like OneC..

that being said.. i have tried for years to go the cheaper route with co-washing but no matter what, for my hair, nothing works like No Poo.. before she came out with the DevaCurl products i was trying everything on the market and for me No Poo works best.. i've tried to leave it, and i just keep getting stuck with bottles of cheap conditioner :lol:
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • curly01curly01 Posts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ok, well at least it wasn't just my imagination that the No Poo feels just like a conditioner! I have some, so I'll just continue to use that, at least for now. Not quite sure how often to use it though. I wet and condition daily (2nd day hair is extremely rare for me), but I've only been using the no poo 1-2x/week.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    goldy wrote: »
    ithat being said.. i have tried for years to go the cheaper route with co-washing but no matter what, for my hair, nothing works like No Poo.. before she came out with the DevaCurl products i was trying everything on the market and for me No Poo works best.. i've tried to leave it, and i just keep getting stuck with bottles of cheap conditioner :lol:

I know what you mean, I'm addicted to this stuff! :lol: I actually started off with No Poo, so I was spoiled right from the very beginning. TBH, more than anything, I just can't stop using it because of that scent... it's absolutely divine! On the days I use it, I will occasionaly swish my hair just to get a whiff of it...
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
    curly01 wrote: »
    Ok, well at least it wasn't just my imagination that the No Poo feels just like a conditioner! I have some, so I'll just continue to use that, at least for now. Not quite sure how often to use it though. I wet and condition daily (2nd day hair is extremely rare for me), but I've only been using the no poo 1-2x/week.

Basically, you only need to use it when you feel like you need it. I use it once a week in the winter, and twice a week when it starts to get hot and humid.
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG

fotki pw= crrrls
    Ok thanks! That makes sense. I didn't think I should use it daily. But since a lot of people seem to co wash daily, I wasn't sure. Do you just co wash on the days you don't use No Poo. Or do you just rinse with conditioner without the "washing"?

There's a real learning curve with this whole CG thing! (For me anyway). I'm very thankful for the wealth of info and feedback on this site.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Like you I wet and condition pretty much every day. I only do the "scrubbing" step every 2-3 days. I don't have No Poo, but if I did, that is how often I would probably need to use it.

When I used real shampoo, my schedule was the same. Wet and condition daily, only use shampoo every 2-3 days.
    curly01 wrote: »
    Ok thanks! That makes sense. I didn't think I should use it daily. But since a lot of people seem to co wash daily, I wasn't sure. Do you just co wash on the days you don't use No Poo. Or do you just rinse with conditioner without the "washing"?

I just rinse with conditioner.
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:

fotki pw= crrrls
  • CuriousgirlgeCuriousgirlge Posts: 95Registered Users
    I've only used the no poo once, but I didn't see much of a difference between it and conditioner. I wash my hair with clarifying shampoo once a week and the rest of the time I wet and condition. I try to, at least once a week, do nothing with my hair and let it relax a little.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I heard no-poo and other shampoos without sulfates still have cleaning agents (just not sulfates) to help wash the hair. You don't need to rub in the no-poo and no-sulfate-shampoos as much as you do with CO washing. Conditioners may be better (chemical-wise) but no-poo might be better in the sense that you don't have to rub in as much (better physical wise, I guess ???).
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • kristin912kristin912 Posts: 2Registered Users
    can you wash evry day with no poo? or will it dry out your hair?
    I think that the recommendation is once a week or so.
    But individual needs might be a bit different. Depending what your hair is exposed to each day.
  • geminikissgeminikiss Posts: 88Registered Users Curl Novice
    so we have to use a cone free shampoo with sulfates first before CG method and then after that use cone free sulfate free conditioners confused. i mean how often would you use it? please help
    3a, normal porosity, fine texture, normal elasticity
    experimenting with:
    co-wash: suave naturals
    rinse-out: tresemme naturals moisturizing conditioner
    other products: nothing yet

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file