Plopping - Raking & Shingling? And Gel recommendations

Curly CanuckCurly Canuck Registered Users Posts: 37
What exactly is the best method to get my curls under control and defined and to not grow outward? I've heard shingling is a great method? Please explain what shingling is?

I shamefully admit, I've been going to a salon weekly to get flat-ironed, so I have no idea how to style my curls. I've heard so much about Plopping, Raking and Finger Combing...

Could you please explain what is Raking?

What is Plopping? (...I think I can figure out what Finger Combing is.)

What are the best gels - combined with these methods to tame and define my curls?

Thanks!
i'm new to this whole curly thing and slowly learning to be a better Curly Girl!!
Type 3B/c
M ii/iii
Shoulder length curly - BSL straight

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Am I the only person logged on?

Shingling is a technique (created by Curve salon???) where a person with very thick, very curly hair applies a product (custard) to little segments of wet hair, combs it out and sits with it like that under the dryer. When it dries, the curl is looser and more north/south.

Lots of great gels. Are you doing CG? What's you hair type?

• alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Registered Users Posts: 619
    What exactly is the best method to get my curls under control and defined and to not grow outward? I've heard shingling is a great method? Please explain what shingling is?

Go to the Curve salon site for pictures of shingling (www.curve-salon.com). Click on shingling.

If you do a search (or it may be under FAQs) there are pictures of plopping.

On the Ouidad site there is an explanation of raking. Basically you use your fingers like a rake to distribute the products section by section. There are some really detail explanations on this site too. You could do a search with "Ouidad and raking."

For gels, what type of hair do you have? Is it thick or fine, long or short, etc? Do you have a hair "twin" on this site?

On my "humor me" thread the curlies posted some excellent styling product recommendations.
    We're all born mad. Some remain so.

br-flag1.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file