another anti-natural ad- in Essence mag

urbancurlurbancurl Registered Users Posts: 980
Has anyone seen this ad?? It's for a relaxer, so what do you expect, right? But it's *bad.* It's in the September issue with Mary J on the cover. The ad is a 2-pager, on pp. 274 and 275.

page 274, 3 pictures of a model with big, puffy, long (pretty!) hair.
*The first pic has the model holding a piece of her hair and making a disgusted face. The caption reads, "Ugh."
*The 2nd pic is similar, and the caption reads "Yuck"
*The 3rd pic, she is rolling her eyes with her head resting on her hand, and the caption says "Help." Under that, it says, "You don't need just another relaxer..."

page 275
*The punch line is, "You need a miracle!" And it shows a picture of the same woman smiling with pin-straight relaxed hair holding a box of Dr. Miracle's relaxer.

This hits particularly close to home for me because the models hair in the "before" pics look exactly like my hair when it is naked or when I have been messing with it too much while it's dry. It reminds me of my hair so much I did a double-take. I wanted to see what the "answer" to this hair would be. I sure have said "ugh!" at times when my hair has looked like that, but for a relaxer to be the recommended answer-- that pisses me off! How about a little conditioner??
[/b]
"It is wrong to use moral means to preserve immoral ends." MLK, Jr.

Password= urban

Comments

• smallpeassmallpeas Registered Users Posts: 162
    Yup, I have seen that ad. In September's _Ebony_ with Holly Robinson Peete on the cover (blown out). The ad is ridiculous and insulting. Nice mentality to promote there. I almost thought it was a Frizz Ease or Garnier Fructis/Pantene ad from the teased-out hair set-up on page 1.

Parts of my hair look like that too with no product. Her only option for "shiny hair with no breakage and a healthy scalp" was definitely not a relaxer. How absurd to even suggest that. Or to even assert that her hair was necessarily unhealthy to begin with just because it wasn't shiny and sleek.

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur
    I've seen this ad, also. It's sad. The solution for dry/frizzy looking hair is not a relaxer......It's a good conditioner! And to be honest, it just looks like she tried combing her hair dry and/or didn't use any product. There's absolutely nothing wrong with her hair.

They have another ad for their Hot Gro treatment, with a woman on the front pulling at a "damaged" piece of hair. But what's interesting is that this woman has extentions(the kind that is braided at the root, and then worn loose) all through her hair, and the piece she's pulling on is fake hair. :roll: The only thing she needs to worry about is the bad job they did on her hair, not the damage. Oops, did I say that out loud? :twisted:

The same publications that are supposed to uplift are perpetuating the same misguided notion that if your hair looks like the models hair, then the next "obvious" solution is a relaxer. :roll:
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    ive seen it too and i hated it!
  • jada1111jada1111 Registered Users Posts: 829
    The same publications that are supposed to uplift are perpetuating the same misguided notion that if you hair looks like the models hair, then the next "obvious" solution is a relaxer. :roll:

That's why I no longer read them. Not because of this latest fiasco, but years ago when I was reading Essence, it seemed like every year they would do a story on light skin/dark skin issues. I remember it was 3 years in a row with this and I couldn't stand it! I'm like why do u continue to divide the race like this?? :x

Anyway, I digress. If you're one of those people that find natural hair ugly, then you'll agree with the advertisement. Unfortunately, there are many out there who will be customers for life. :(
    Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower
  • alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Registered Users Posts: 619
    jada1111 wrote:
    The same publications that are supposed to uplift are perpetuating the same misguided notion that if you hair looks like the models hair, then the next "obvious" solution is a relaxer. :roll:

That's why I no longer read them.

Me too. I used to subscribe and I stopped because of various issues. I even wrote in to ask if they could show more naturally curlies/coilies who do not have a texturizer, relaxer, or weave.

When I stopped subscribing they called to ask me why (is that standard procedure??) and I told her about the hair thing among other issues I have with the magazine. This was a year and a half ago and I see nothing has changed.
    We're all born mad. Some remain so.

br-flag1.gif
  • CheleighCheleigh Registered Users Posts: 552
    You know I had to get my copy out of the mail basket right (my granny subscribes me). Yes, Essence has a real challenge with the hair stuff. When so many commericals, etc. show women with natural hair, Essence still insists on loading the magazine with weaves (for example, the bun styles were cute, but how many women can do that without some added hair)? Outside of one or two styles, the only naturals you see are from paid ads or from the real world women they interview.

That girl's hair in the aforementioned ad had cute hair (minus the crazy out of control style). And now--she just looks like she's weave-tastic. :(
    Natural pics: http://picturetrail.com/shelacious
    pw: kinky
    Hair type: Spongy & kinky texture. Coily & curly strands.
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    I am disappointed in Essence too. I bought the copy with Terrence Howard on the cover and inside they had a few suggestions on hair styles. One had a woman with a very short natural and she had a tight but obvious curl pattern. The suggestion was to "apply texturizer and cut short" in order to obtain the same look. So that was basically assuming no one could have curly hair unless they texturized with chemicals first?! :? Then in another one, a woman had what looked like a little afro puff and the caption stated "Yes, it's a weave!" Again, it's like there is no hope for even trying to get your natural hair to do that, so might as well cover it up to make it look "natural." It just didn't sit right with me.
  • CurlilocsCurlilocs Registered Users Posts: 821
    I still subscribe but I have less and less faith in the articles relating to hair care and beauty. We must be mindful that not everyone embraces their natural textures the way alot of us do on this board. There are some people who just prefer straight looks and will look at you sideways if you suggest otherwise. I am willing to bet that the majority of their readers and subscribers prefer straight looks over more textured ones. The problem is that they are perpetuating the notion among women of color that if you want a more "natural look", you still have to use chems. That's not true and we all know it! It also doesn't help that the company is no longer black owned. If I remember correctly, Time Warner owns it now? That action in and of itself should tell you something.
    Free your Mind and your Hair will Follow :)
    Curli's pics
    album pw: bangz
    Maybe we need to come up with our own magazine called "Substance." :)

The whole thing just amazes me. I've gotten more compliments on my hair in the past few years than I ever did when it was processed. I guess I don't understand the consistent push towards chemicals and weaves to obtain a certain look (when a little time and a lot less money can achieve similar results)
  • Curlee QCurlee Q Registered Users Posts: 523
    I also seen the add in the black hair mag. and was disturbed because I thought the before hair was pretty. :?
    http://www.youtube.com/Kittykat1374

natural since 6/05
    I just checked this out:
    http://www.essence.com/essence/beautyandstyle/beauty/0,16109,1093140,00.html

The most recent comments are from women who went natural. They are making the same comments we have made here. I wonder if the magazine will do anything to include more natural styles.

(I doubt it)
  • alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Registered Users Posts: 619
    gemini wrote:
    I just checked this out:

The most recent comments are from women who went natural. They are making the same comments we have made here. I wonder if the magazine will do anything to include more natural styles.

(I doubt it)

My comments were posted under a similar article there a few years ago. I even wrote a letter and told them via telephone what I felt about the message they are sending to naturally curlies and coilies.

I just got a "thank you" and I see nothing has changed since.
    We're all born mad. Some remain so.

br-flag1.gif
  • CurlilocsCurlilocs Registered Users Posts: 821
    gemini wrote:
    I just checked this out:

(I doubt it)

:lol: at your fine print! ITA!
    Free your Mind and your Hair will Follow :)
    Curli's pics
    album pw: bangz
  • I'mCurlyI'mCurly Registered Users Posts: 40
    Oh my God! I was just reading that on the train coming to work (late) about an hour ago and I thought about this forum and how the media constantly degrades natural hair to support a money making scheme. You are so right and you beat me to the punch. Thanks for mentioning this!
    3b or 3c (not exactly sure)
    Currently using Paul Mitchell The Condition Leave-in, Paul Mitchell Shampoo, Fantasia IC Styling Gel and occassionally PM Styling Foam

www.fotki.com/Iamcurly/me
    PW: curly
    I read this:
    As the weather cools, you’ll want to keep your curls soft and sexy. Now is a great time to reintroduce yourself to hot rollers, pin curls and roller sets.
    and got annoyed. Why in the world would I trade my 5 minute daily routine for hot rollers, pin curls and roller sets? :roll:
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    jada1111 wrote:

That's why I no longer read them. Not because of this latest fiasco, but years ago when I was reading Essence, it seemed like every year they would do a story on light skin/dark skin issues. I remember it was 3 years in a row with this and I couldn't stand it! I'm like why do u continue to divide the race like this?? :x

Anyway, I digress. If you're one of those people that find natural hair ugly, then you'll agree with the advertisement. Unfortunately, there are many out there who will be customers for life. :(

yes! I agree with all of this - I expect nothing less from Essence. I remember one of my ex's showing me an article by a Black man called something like "why this brother only dates light-skinned women" as if he expected me to be happy about it. In college, I had a letter printed in there about shadism in the Black community. And the constant relaxer ads annoy me too, especially that one. Urban, I hear you, because, since you are my hair twin/triplet/quadruplet, my hair also looks like that sometimes and I'm fine with it.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• urbancurlurbancurl Registered Users Posts: 980
    gemini wrote:
    I just checked this out:

(I doubt it)

Well at least those comments are encouraging.

I don't read magazines all that often so I guess it was a shock to my system. It's easy to forget, if you don't watch much tv or read magazines, that most people aren't on the same page as us. And to each their own, but I'm sorry, it is possible to advertise for a relaxer without without insulting those of us who choose to wear our hair natural.

Password= urban
  • AmberWavesAmberWaves Registered Users Posts: 231
    I saw this ad in another magazine. Her "miracle" relaxed style was cute, but her curls were BEAUTIFUL. I understand that not all people like natural/curly hair, but dang, that is just flat out RUDE.
    AmberWaves
    3c/4a
  • jada1111jada1111 Registered Users Posts: 829
    I posted this:

"African American women look so much more beautiful when they wear they hair in its natural state. It's 2005, can we finally ditch the fake hair now?

Peace :-D
    Marilyn, Los Angeles"

LOL! :D It felt sooooo good to say that! Hopefully, it will be an eye-opener for others.
    Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower
    jada1111 wrote:
    I posted this:

"African American women look so much more beautiful when they wear they hair in its natural state. It's 2005, can we finally ditch the fake hair now?

Peace :-D
    Marilyn, Los Angeles"

LOL! :D It felt sooooo good to say that! Hopefully, it will be an eye-opener for others.

Cool!! :D

Password= urban
  • bubbles76bubbles76 Registered Users Posts: 288
    I saw this ad in a Braiding magazine today. Somehow, I expected the braiding magazine to have natural styles, techniques, and truly embracing. Not really. This same magazine also encouraged getting a relaxer before you get a strawset (and we all now that's not necessary!), supported weaves and extensions as a way to "achieve" a natural look, down played air drying...the list goes on and on. Now, I'm not against weaves or wigs, but it's not the only way to achieve natural styles! Why try, I don't know, your natural hair!!! What is the world coming to when people assume that long, nice looking hair (relaxed or otherwise) on a black woman must be fake? And why do they assume that curls mean texturizer? And why do natural styles equate to "needing a perm"? It's all ridiculous.

Are there any REAL natural magazines out there? Maybe we SHOULD start a magazine called "Substance". The reason so many black women embrace the straight hair look is that honestly, so many don't know any better or that there is another way to do their hair. At least, in the case of myself (formerly) and my family (currently) that has been the reason.

I would write to Essence, but unlike Garnier I don't think it would do any good. Essence calls natural hair a "current trend", so you can't change the mindset.

I'm off my box now. :oops:
    Last Relaxer August 15, 2004
    Big Chop April 23, 2006
    event.png
  • saronbellasaronbella Registered Users Posts: 70
    It's so funny beacuse I saw this ad last night and I was HEATED when I saw it. I thought that the woman had gorgeous hair "before" her relaxer. All she needed was some conditioner and curling custard!:)
    Yeah, I like the "Substance" magazine idea too.

Password= urban
  • CheleighCheleigh Registered Users Posts: 552
    This ad came up this week on nappturality, and remembering Portae's successful letter writting effort with Garnier/Fructris, I decided to write one myself. Here's what I posted on the other site. You guys brought it up first, so I thought you should see it too...

Okay, I put my fingers to work, and wrote this letter. I couldn't find a corporate address readily (too tired to search), so I sent it to the email address on their web site ([email protected])

September 19, 2005

Dear Dr. Miracle:

Earlier this month, I noticed your two-page
    advertisement in the latest issue of Essence magazine.
    In the advertisement, there is a woman with natural
    hair (my hair is similar in texture to hers) recoiling
    in horror over her hair. My take-away was that her
    hair is supposed to be unmanageable and unattractive.
    Of course, after her chemical fire cream treatment, she is happy
    and satisfied.

Imagine my amazement when, in reviewing your web site,
    I find out from your FAQ sheet and product line-up
    that most of your products are also intended for
    people with natural hair!

The additional images in your ad campaign on your
    product website are little better. As a marketing
    professional, I wonder what audience you are targeting
    via your campaign? It seems that the campaign goes
    out of the way to offend people with just about every hair type.
    I have discussed the campaign ancedotally with other
    people on several hair-based user groups, and they
    share my disappointment.

I'm well aware that in the beauty industry, playing on
    women's FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) factors
    are a critical component in selling products.
    However, if the message alienates potential customers
    before they even have a chance to determine the value
    of the product, then maybe the message is being
    delivered incorrectly.

I frequent enough hair-based user sites to realize
    that your products may be of interest to me and
    others. It is therefore unfortunate that my initial
    impression of your products, based upon your ad
    campaign, is that my hair type, and therefore my
    dollars, are not needed nor welcomed. A review of the
    images and messaging used in your campaign might
    likely make a difference in your bottom line.

Sincerely,
    Chele Leigh
    Natural pics: http://picturetrail.com/shelacious
    pw: kinky
    Hair type: Spongy & kinky texture. Coily & curly strands.
    I am so glad you took the time to do this. What a great, great letter! I'm glad that, even though I was too lazy on this one, that you are not and that you took action. Can't wait to see how/if they respond. Thanks for doing this and sharing it with us. Let's just hope they don't send you some free relaxers! :lol:

Password= urban
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    urbancurl wrote:
    I am so glad you took the time to do this. What a great, great letter! I'm glad that, even though I was too lazy on this one, that you are not and that you took action. Can't wait to see how/if they respond. Thanks for doing this and sharing it with us. Let's just hope they don't send you some free relaxers! :lol:

i agree!

lol @ the free relaxers.....
  • CottonCandyCottonCandy Registered Users Posts: 125
    *Applauding* Very good letter, very professional - thank you for taking the time to write that to them!
    3c-like S-waves and random curls
    Fine density; medium & fine strands
    Naturally very dry and very frizzy
  • mandyvmandyv Registered Users Posts: 2,437 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm applauding all of you for caring so much! I'm glad Essence, which I don't read anymore, at least ran the letters for natural hair. Maybe that means they're heading in a new direction.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
  • AmberWavesAmberWaves Registered Users Posts: 231
    Am I the only one who still enjoys ESSENCE? I like the health and wealth type articles that they have. I also like the fashion spreads and I never see that many pics of beautiful Black women in other magazines. I understand that the strong majority of the women who read the magazine are probably relaxed so I don't look to ESSENCE for hair advice. That Dr. Miracle add is simply awful, but I still enjoy the magazine.
    AmberWaves
    3c/4a
    AmberWaves wrote:
    Am I the only one who still enjoys ESSENCE? I like the health and wealth type articles that they have. I also like the fashion spreads and I never see that many pics of beautiful Black women in other magazines. I understand that the strong majority of the women who read the magazine are probably relaxed so I don't look to ESSENCE for hair advice. That Dr. Miracle add is simply awful, but I still enjoy the magazine.

You're not alone, I still enjoy the magazine despite some of the ads/messages that do deserve criticism. It does certainly stand out among Glamour and Vogue and other fashion/beauty mags. I sure do enjoy seeing the beautiful Black models and I like the columns like Iyanla Vanzant and that other therapist... Essence and O are about the only fashion mags I can deal with on a regular basis.

Password= urban

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file