How long?

msjananimsjanani Registered Users Posts: 624
Lately I've been really inspired by old pictures of my mom when she wore her hair in a wrist-thick waist-length braid. Now I really want to grow my curls out down to my waist/hips.

How long do you want your hair to be when you're "done" growing it out?
3A low/medium porosity, medium texture

Current products:
Stylers: HE Tousle Me Softly, Condition 3-in-1 Mousse
Conditioners: Terax Crema, Mill Creek Botanicals Henna Conditioner
Cleanser: DevaCurl NoPoo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theevolutionofcurl/

Comments

• mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Registered Users Posts: 1,271 Curl Novice
    Weren't you just recently talking about chopping it all off? :laughing9:

BSL, I think. Any longer would be too hard to manage, I think. I may not even want it that long... possibly only a couple inches past my shoulders.
  • msjananimsjanani Registered Users Posts: 624
    Hahahahah I knew someone was going to remember. I am so fickle. That day I was like "AAAAH GET OUT OF MY ARMPITS, HAIR!" and now, naturally, I want it extra-long. But really, everyone's comments of "DON'T CUT IT" made me think: "hey, updos are really nice. Long hair is really nice," and it did help me stay away from the big chop and get more committed to having long hair.

Current products:

• mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Registered Users Posts: 1,271 Curl Novice
    One of my good Indian friends had her hair grown out to her butt for the majority of her life. She always wore it in a braid, which seemed to be kind of problematic when she danced (don't want that thing whipping everyone around you). During our senior year, she chopped to a bit above BSL. I always admired her for wearing her hair so long for so much time, but I could never do it.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    One thing to consider is that it will get heavier.

I wore my waist length hair air dried for years (yeah it took most of the day but my office was casual so I didn't care). I believed it was "a little wavy."

Two and a half months ago, I got a few inches cut off the longest part, and layers cut, and started using gel and diffusing. Now it has some Ss but they are much tighter than before, and more and more spirals the more I wear it like this. I recently went to BSL and even more layers, and it's curlier than ever.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    I'm hoping for BSL. Seems to be taking FOREVER to get there though.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I would love between SL and APL. Anything longer would be in my way.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    I would like waist length when wet and a little past that when straight. Right now it is BSL when wet and almost mid back when straight.
    3b-3c CG
  • CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Banned Users Posts: 956
    msjanani wrote: »
    Hahahahah I knew someone was going to remember. I am so fickle. That day I was like "AAAAH GET OUT OF MY ARMPITS, HAIR!" and now, naturally, I want it extra-long. But really, everyone's comments of "DON'T CUT IT" made me think: "hey, updos are really nice. Long hair is really nice," and it did help me stay away from the big chop and get more committed to having long hair.

I'm really fickle, too. This is the second time in two years time that I've been growing out from an above the shoulders cut. I get tired of dealing with long hair, but I forget that above the shoulders hair is more difficult to deal with. It's so much harder to tame at the shorter lengths. When I can tame it, it looks nice, but when I can't, it's hard to get shorter hair into updos, esp. since I like layers. I want my hair to be about an inch above BSL, with layers that start below chin-length (so I can still pull it up).
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    Oh your hair is so pretty don't cut it! LOL

I've always had above bra strap length hair and was never able to grow it longer than that. I think I want bra strap length hair, but I'm going to let it grow to my waist to see if I don't mind it. Mind you, my hair barely reaches my shoulder now and I have a hard time dealing with it LOL
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• cclark1cclark1 Registered Users Posts: 346
    mariag002 wrote: »
    Oh your hair is so pretty don't cut it! LOL

I've always had above bra strap length hair and was never able to grow it longer than that. I think I want bra strap length hair, but I'm going to let it grow to my waist to see if I don't mind it. Mind you, my hair barely reaches my shoulder now and I have a hard time dealing with it LOL

This is so me. For now, I'm aiming for brastrap. I think anything else would be unattractive on me. Since I've stopped relaxing, it's grown like crazy. So maybe BSL in 2 years??
    Dare to be......remarkable!!!
  • alwaysaangelalwaysaangel Registered Users Posts: 55
    I'm right there with you. I remember a girl in Jr. High who had the curliest hair that down was past her butt. But she always had it in a pony tail. I never really realized the amount of work that must have gone into maintaining that hair.

I'd love to get my hair down to my butt - just once to try it. But I doubt it will ever get there. It took 5 years to go from shoulder length (when curly) to mid-back (when curly). It would probably be another 5+ years to get it all the way down and when I'm doing my rotations for med school in a couple of years I won't have time to maintain it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Hey curlies,
    My hair was midback and totally naturally about 5-6 years ago. It really didn't require much work because it wasn't damaged with chemicals. I'm not really sure now what my hair is 3A-C is all across my hair.

I dyed it black and then hated it and stripped the color. My son threw up in my hair and then brought home lice (that I couldn't get rid of) two times and I went to the hairdresser and got it all chopped off. :angry7: We stopped "associating" with some "friends" and the lice never came back...but...back to the point...natural, undamaged hair really is much easier to deal with long than chemically altered hair (and I don't mean coloring...you can color the right way and not damage or destroy your hair).

Speckla
  • HeatherDawnHeatherDawn Registered Users Posts: 300
    I had waist length waves from Jr. High through High School. I miss it. I am shooting for waist length again.

I am feeling the fickleness though! LOL! I waver every time something goes wrong. Like getting too much "trimmed" and starting over - again. :wink:
    HeatherDawn
    2C/3A
  • ParasolParasol Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 291
    I'd like my hair to be BSL too. But I'd also be happy if it was between armpit and BSL.

• all_agogall_agog Registered Users Posts: 22
    I'd be pleased as punch if I could have my hair grow down to my waist. I've calculated, and I think it'll be about that long in 2 years.
    Products:
    Suave Naturals Conditioner and Giovanni 50/50 Conditioner as leave in. Air dry.
  • mitabirdmitabird Registered Users Posts: 226 Curl Connoisseur
    Right now my hair is past my hips when pulled straight. My final goal is classic length when curly, which sits right below your cheeks.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • mikievoramikievora Registered Users Posts: 83
    i'm going for mid-back length, curly. of course, i have no idea how long this is going to take...maybe three more years.
    Frizz Central!
  • curlywurly271curlywurly271 Registered Users Posts: 286
    im aiming for about APL. at the moment im just below shoulder length so i'm thinking i might be able to reach my target by the end of the summer *crosses fingers*
    UK curly :occasion8:

event.png
  • shellynotshellynot Registered Users Posts: 1,140
    i used to have waist length hair that was tail-bone length when wet. That is pretty much my goal again. Right now, my hair is bsl when wet...i'm thinking it will be 2 years to get that length.

mitabird, your hair in your fotki pics is GORGEOUS!!
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

shellynot wrote: »
    mitabird, your hair in your fotki pics is GORGEOUS!!

Thanks so much! You have beautiful hair too. I do need to get some updated pics though.
    Western Pennsylvania

CG since 6/22/04

DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
  • msjananimsjanani Registered Users Posts: 624
    OMG Mitabird I just checked your pictures and WOW your hair is amazing!!! (but I'm sure people tell you that all the time :wink:) You have the hair I dream about having.

Current products:

msjanani wrote: »
    OMG Mitabird I just checked your pictures and WOW your hair is amazing!!! (but I'm sure people tell you that all the time :wink:) You have the hair I dream about having.

Thank you so much msjanani!
    Western Pennsylvania

CG since 6/22/04

Hair photos
  • ibraidhairibraidhair Registered Users Posts: 343
    I'm aiming for the hips. My goal is to make it reach the top of my thighs without pulling it straight. Slowly, but surely......
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I'd like it as long as it can go while still looking something like a 3b. My curls really drag at midback, so I may have to investigate different layering if I want to go past that.

I've only had decent curls for a little under two years. I'd hate to lose them to curl drag, lol.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • Rubber BiscuitRubber Biscuit Registered Users Posts: 1,294
    Oh my, I would just love it if my hair was BSL when dry :love5:
    - Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
    - Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
  • Mass1gBewegtMass1gBewegt Registered Users Posts: 113
    I cut my own layers when I was wearing my hair straight. Had a bit of a scene-y emo look for a bit. Bangs at my nose. I would LOVE my hair to be at least boob length. But I haven't got my longest layers trimmed since November, and I've still got like 5 inches to go. I had it at just above shoulder length last summer. So I think I'll be cutting it off for ease of wear. Try growing it again next autumn. =/
    Band Geek to the Core.
    Geometry Ain't My Thing. XD

http://public.fotki.com/MagicMarkers92/
    Pass: Qtip
  • AmdaAmda Registered Users Posts: 251
    Currently aiming for BSL hair, but I have no idea when it's going to get there - it just keeps shrinking up into tighter curls, and in true 3A style, I still have a flat top. Grr. Mitabird and Msjanani, you both have gorgeous hair!
    Fine and thin 2C in Australia
  • JaxieJaxie Registered Users Posts: 1,282
    My current goal is BSL when dry. I'm about 4 inches from that, which is probably a good year and a couple of months away. After that I want to go about 3-4 inches below BSL where my hair was when I was 20. I cut it to shoulders, then short and I want it back. And I actually can't wait till I go off of the pill because someof my curl and volume left when I went on it.
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • notegalnotegal Registered Users Posts: 560
    My current goal is a long as it will go. It is at the middle of my back and since it's grown out it's not so kinky and I am glad for that.:toothy7:
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• ElithiaElithia Registered Users Posts: 297
    My goal, like Notegal, is as long as it will go! The longest I've had it was hip-length, when I was twelve. That was pre-CG when it was frizz galore! It is currently about a half-inch short of BSL, dry.

I was on a sports trip two weeks ago, and one of the other girls learned that I had never straightened my hair and persuaded me to let her do it! I didn't really like how I looked, but I was AMAZED at the length. It wasn't to my elbows quite, but it wasn't that far from!

And to think....a year and a half ago it was only chin length....
    Proudly CG since 8/10/06 - the story of my hair!
    Type: 3a/b, very thick
    Length: almost BSL wet
    Products: Suave coconut conditioner, coconut oil, Totally Twisted gel

Don't forget to be awesome!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file