Growing 3b Hair!

WildflowerWildflower Registered Users Posts: 112
Ive never had hair longer than it is at the moment (near my shoulders) and its always been layered.

The past few months, I have been growing out the layers and jsut getting them trimmed to keep them tidy as Im trying to grow my hair.

My hair seemed to used ot have more volume and was more frizzy, but Im thinking it might be because im taking better care of it the curl is more "stable".

I had quite short top layers, which of course, will make hair bigger, but Ive noticed the sides above my ears look a bit flatter, and wondering if this is because the hair is growing down?

Can anyone post the phases of 3b hair growth?????
pw: curls

Comments

• wxgirlcurlwxgirlcurl Registered Users Posts: 125
    I'm thinking that it could be flatter because your hair is heavier with it getting longer. Usually layering will help with adding some body there... HTH???
    Curl type: 2c/3a F/M ii (2b F underneath - 3a M on top), normal elasticity, low porosity,
    Modified CG since July 2011,
    Conditioners: Tresumme Naturals for RO and L'Oreal Eversleek for LI
    Styler: Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Mousse: HETMS, HESMU or Pantene Curl defining mousse
    Oils: 50/50 Coconut Oil and EVOO (amazing combo!!)
    My Hair Album - Naturally Curly and Straightened
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
    Just posting to say that wxgirlcurl has GORGEOUS hair, and everyone should check out her albums :D

Also, anyone have good hair growth tips other than a nutritious diet and regular exercise? For example, do trims help or hurt hair growth? What about protein - is it helpful for hair growth or not?
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • urbancurlurbancurl Registered Users Posts: 980
    I don't know about the phases of growing hair. I didn't even know that excercise helps! Darn, another reason to stick with it.

Curltopia, I agree, beautiful hair on Wxgirlcurl!!!!!!
    "It is wrong to use moral means to preserve immoral ends." MLK, Jr.

Password= urban
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    Curltopia wrote:
    Just posting to say that wxgirlcurl has GORGEOUS hair, and everyone should check out her albums :D

YES --Love wxygirl's hair--hope mine looks that good when it gets longer! I was told that trims just make the hair shorter. my hair stayed the same length for the last 3 yrs until Carlos at Devachan gave me the go-ahead to trim once a year. i thought it could never get past 1" below shoulders, but now after 7 months i can see it has grown a bit, and I did not fall down dead of a split end attack :)
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
    I have always wondered about trims... Since I am just over 9 months into transitioning, my "small chop" of 3 inches from my sides and 6 trims of my ends (of about 1/4 inch each time) have helped me return to fully natural hair (I'm not all the way there, but very close). However, since length is now my goal, I am going to stop trimming and see if that helps with growth. I am at shoulder length now and want to get closer to BSL.

I want my hair to look like yours Banjo :wink:
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."

• wxgirlcurlwxgirlcurl Registered Users Posts: 125
    Wow ladies you are just too nice. Most days I feel like my hair is a disaster.

I've been able to grow my hair a little longer faster because I have not gone to the hair dressers in a while. They usually end up taking far more hair off than I want. So now I've decided to try trimming my hair on my own using the method in the link below. This way I have the control on how much comes off.
    http://members.fortunecity.com/feye/trim/
    I blow dried my hair straight before doing it but I am sure you can do it with wet curls.

Also there is a technique called dusting where you just trim the split ends. This is time consuming but allows your hair to grow longer and faster.
    http://splitends.bebto.com/getridofse.htm

HTH
    Curl type: 2c/3a F/M ii (2b F underneath - 3a M on top), normal elasticity, low porosity,
    Modified CG since July 2011,
    Conditioners: Tresumme Naturals for RO and L'Oreal Eversleek for LI
    Styler: Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Mousse: HETMS, HESMU or Pantene Curl defining mousse
    Oils: 50/50 Coconut Oil and EVOO (amazing combo!!)
    My Hair Album - Naturally Curly and Straightened
  • WildflowerWildflower Registered Users Posts: 112
    Beware of the Hairdressers who start to talk!!

I find they start talking and lose concentration!
    pw: curls
  • curlyjenncurlyjenn Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
    My hair grows really fast, like an inch or a little more every month. I think it grows so fast because I eat lots of vegetables. I'm a veggie girl..I just really love salads and stuff. I never trim my hair, unless I see split ends, and then I trim them off myself. I have noticed that my hair grows faster when I'm taking vitamins. Also, the weight of my hair does drag some of the curl out as it grows. Right now, it's past my shoulders. I just chopped it up to my chin last year. As it was growing, it would grow out and then down. I like to keep it long *because* it pulls some of the curl down!
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
    curlyjenn wrote:
    My hair grows really fast, like an inch or a little more every month. I think it grows so fast because I eat lots of vegetables. I'm a veggie girl..I just really love salads and stuff. I never trim my hair, unless I see split ends, and then I trim them off myself. I have noticed that my hair grows faster when I'm taking vitamins. Also, the weight of my hair does drag some of the curl out as it grows. Right now, it's past my shoulders. I just chopped it up to my chin last year. As it was growing, it would grow out and then down. I like to keep it long *because* it pulls some of the curl down!

Sounds good :D Do you just take a regular multi-vitamin?

• curlyjenncurlyjenn Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
    Yep. Just a multi. :D
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    i am taking perfect prenatal and menopause 1 :? but my hair still grows slow. maybe it's the age???
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • alim1216alim1216 Registered Users Posts: 240
    Could be Banjo! I'm in the same boat as you, having a hard time with the growth. That was never a "super" problem, but I have noticed since the mid to late 40's my hair made a drastic change and became very brittle and more delicate than it was when i was younger. Also, I tend to color it with more frequency than I used to. Gotta cover that pesky grey! In my thirties I managed to get it waist length when dry! It looked pretty nice. Then the colorist told me it looked rather dull and I should try some hi-lights and blah, blah, blah. I took her advice and she burned it so badly I ended up chopping it to just below shoulder length!!!! I've not managed to get it that long again, and that's where it want it...badly! What kills me is my mother has hair as straight and fine and as soft as silk! Before she got bored with it and cut it, it was almost to her ankles! My mother is 75!!! Her hair grows faster and better than mine! :?

Anyway, Curltopia, vitamins can help because you are replenishing your body with nutrients it may be lacking. Hair, I've been told, is made of protein, so when you eat protein, it helps strengthen everything that needs it for growth, such as your hair and nails. It doesn't necessarily have to be meat (for all you vegeterians) it can be soy, tofu, peanut butter I hear is high in protein (and fat, unfortunately!). However, I know a chinese herbalist who fixed me up a batch of herbs a couple years ago to strengthen my hair a bit, and during the time I took the herbs, my hair growth doubled! It was fabulous, but the combination of herbs gave me indigestion! Too bad.
    Hair 3a/3b.
    Alim-

Hey - thanks for your post and advice :D If you recall the combination of chinese herbs you used, I'd be interested. But what I do is to eat well, try to get my sleep and (the dreaded because usually inconvenient) exercise... My hair grows steadily, but not fast. For example, I think that I can achieve BSL hair by winter 2006 if I stop trimming and maybe take a good multivitamin supplement - it is just grazing my shoulders now. Anyway, that's my new personal hair growth goal :wink:

• PokahontasPokahontas Registered Users Posts: 184
    Curltopia wrote:

Also, anyone have good hair growth tips other than a nutritious diet and regular exercise? For example, do trims help or hurt hair growth? What about protein - is it helpful for hair growth or not?

Trims help hair growth for me so much! I just got my hair trimmed and it feels like a whole new head of hair! I think it's good to get the dead ends off because otherwise it's just gonna break and split. I used to be scared of trims and never got them and my hair never grew past one length but when I started getting them on a regular basis my hair has been constantly growing, and my better hair care routines have helped also. My goal is to have below bra strap length curly hair, when worn straight it is already below bsl but I have so much shrinkage when wearing it curly. I also do the dusting method like wxgirlcurl talked about.

In my opinion protein is essential to growth but you have to know how to use it. Like using too much of it can cause breakage but if used right it can prevent breakage before it starts. I try to do protein treatments every two weeks or at least once a month because they are time consuming and I stay pretty busy. HTH
  • urbancurlurbancurl Registered Users Posts: 980
    Pokohontas,

I want to grow mine to below or at bra-strap when curly too. It's there when wet or straight, but not quite when curly. It's encouraging to hear that trimming can help. I avoided that for so long (years!), but I love how my ends look and feel since my haircut last month, and I can tell it has grown already. Maybe it's just about trimming in moderation, only when and where you need it.
    "It is wrong to use moral means to preserve immoral ends." MLK, Jr.

Password= urban
  • PokahontasPokahontas Registered Users Posts: 184
    urbancurl wrote:
    Pokohontas,

I want to grow mine to below or at bra-strap when curly too. It's there when wet or straight, but not quite when curly. It's encouraging to hear that trimming can help. I avoided that for so long (years!), but I love how my ends look and feel since my haircut last month, and I can tell it has grown already. Maybe it's just about trimming in moderation, only when and where you need it.

Hey urbancurl. Trimming has definitely helped me and you are right, it is about trimming in moderation. Most of the time I just get my ends "skimmed", very little is cut off, just a tiny bit on the ends to rid them of any split ends, which I unfortunately seem to get very easily. Recently I got more trimmed off when I went to the salon because it was uneven and I'm really glad I did it because my hair looks better than it has in a long time. I just make sure that I don't trim to often (a skim every two months or so) so that I'm sure to not trim off any growth that I have gained.

Hopefully I will get to bsl when curly one day :) . With my shrinkage though, it might seem like forever :roll: .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file