Edited: Proactiv. Which set? -- See last post.

lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
Who's tried Proactiv and AcneFree & which one works better? Or is the cheaper AcneFree just as good as Proactiv since the box says compared to Proactiv? Do they have the same ingredients?

I'd like my teen son to try one as a last effort before taking him back to the doc for a referral to a dermatologist.

He was on some sort of antibiotics from a doc in Arkansas that the doc in Utah took him off of because he didn't want his system becoming used to it & then not being able to treat any illness he might catch. Then he gave him a different type & told him to only take it during flare-ups. His prescribing this after saying what he did about the other doesn't make sense does it?

He's also tried overnight face treatments that dried out his face too much (Retin-A & something most recently that I can't remember the name of). He said it's like a bad sunburn.

Comments

  • CarrollCarroll Posts: 224Registered Users
    Unfortunately the Acne Free is NOT the same as proactiv. I made the mistake of trying it out and my face broke out all over again. :x I will not stray from my faithful Proactiv again!!! HTH :wink:
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.
  • hollyphollyp Posts: 50Registered Users
    My friend had great luck with the proactive sub you can buy at target . I can't remember the name.
    You could also try checking out this site. My skin has cleared completely following their plan.

    What ever you and your son do choose good luck, I know how tough if can be dealing w/acne![/url]
    *Holly*
    2C/3A
    Bentley my dog is my avatar
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I think I'm going to go with the real deal for my son, but don't know which set to get him. There's too many things to choose from & the costs are crazy.

    Should I just get him the basic set or what?
  • CarrollCarroll Posts: 224Registered Users
    LibbyLiz wrote:
    I think I'm going to go with the real deal for my son, but don't know which set to get him. There's too many things to choose from & the costs are crazy.

    Should I just get him the basic set or what?

    The three piece is all you need!!! It's the cleanser/scrub, toner and the repairing lotion....it's GREAT!!!!! The total is about $48.00, and it lasts for about two months. HTH :wink:
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    Thanks for the reply!

    I was confused about whether or not he needed the oil control lotion and the oil-free moisturizer.

    I asked him if he had any over-production of oil on his face & he said not really, it's not like an oil slick. So I guess he's on the normal skin side. Under his bangs is where he might have more oil production & his dad & I have been trying to get him to get his hair cut & keep it off his face. But the style he's wearing is supposedly "in" & he wants to fit "in". :roll:

    I do remember with him using the prescription stuff he ended up with really dry skin, like a sunburn feeling, just in the areas where it was applied. The most recent stuff that did that was Retin-A & Differin. He was prescribed one or two other topical ointments, but I don't remember what they were. One of them might've been benzyl peroxide & I'm thinking he said it didn't work. But he's been known to not give anything a chance before calling it quits. :?
  • CarrollCarroll Posts: 224Registered Users
    Oh, that is fine that he's got a "cool style", good for him!!! That's important stuff at that age Mom!!! :wink:

    Yes, the three piece is great, the other stuff is really not necessary. I did my time at the dermatologist and everything I used did nothing for me...it's so weird that the proactiv is also benzyl peroxide, but for some reason it totally works. I believe it's because it's the combination of benz. peroxide, glycolic acid AND salicylic acid. It's just super and I'm sure it will work for your son. I hate even having ONE pimple on my face so I know how it feels. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out. Oh, and also remember it takes about two weeks for his skin to be clear so don't give up. Chat later :lol:
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    Cool beans then. Thanx! :wink:

    I'll skip the oil control lotion and oil-free moisturizer then & just get the 3-piece set!
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I forgot to mention there's a Proactiv stand in two of the three nearby malls & their 3-piece set comes with a tube of the Mini Mask for $45.95. Everything has the 60-day guarantee & I can save on shipping both ways! :D
  • CarrollCarroll Posts: 224Registered Users
    LibbyLiz wrote:
    I forgot to mention there's a Proactiv stand in two of the three nearby malls & their 3-piece set comes with a tube of the Mini Mask for $45.95. Everything has the 60-day guarantee & I can save on shipping both ways! :D

    OH yes, there is a kiosk in the mall 5 minutes from my house so that's really great. Nothing like waiting in the mail for something that you need NOWWWW!!! Good luck and let me know how it goes. There are actually a lot of gals here that use the proactiv, but they usually just stick on the non-hair discussion board.

    Take care and sending pimple erasing vibes to your darling boy!!!! :lol: :wink:
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.
  • curly_princesscurly_princess Posts: 360Registered Users
    hollyp wrote:
    You could also try checking out this site. My skin has cleared completely following their plan.

    I recommend this site wholeheartedly! Really. There's even some info on the site about Proactiv's flaws, here. Good luck which ever way you go!
    3a/b, fine hair... with a mind of its own!
    PW- frenchfries

    Your hair, it's everywhere. Screaming infidelities, taking its wear.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    Well, I'm probably not getting Proactiv for my son. He doesn't want to bother with even 3 steps! So why waste the money when he doesn't even want to try?! :x
  • CarrollCarroll Posts: 224Registered Users
    LibbyLiz wrote:
    Well, I'm probably not getting Proactiv for my son. He doesn't want to bother with even 3 steps! So why waste the money when he doesn't even want to try?! :x

    Oh no, that's too bad!! It takes one minute...it's so quick and easy!!!! I'm bummed for him, I just wanted him to be happy w/ himself!!!

    Maybe he'll change his mind again, afterall, he is a teenager :o
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    He's also worried about the cost, as is hubby. They both think, as well as I somewhat, that there's something else out there he can use that'll help. Perhaps Neutrogena, because they do have a big line to choose from. He hasn't tried everything, just a few cleansers & creams here & there, so maybe we need to go that route before he breaks down & wants to try Proactiv.
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    http://www.acne.org/
    Check out this site. While I haven't tried it yet...it looks like people are having good luck with benzoyl peroxide.
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

    event.png
  • CarrollCarroll Posts: 224Registered Users
    LibbyLiz wrote:
    He's also worried about the cost, as is hubby. They both think, as well as I somewhat, that there's something else out there he can use that'll help. Perhaps Neutrogena, because they do have a big line to choose from. He hasn't tried everything, just a few cleansers & creams here & there, so maybe we need to go that route before he breaks down & wants to try Proactiv.

    Well, unfortunately you usually end up trying every product known to man and end up spending more money trying to find something that actually works. I tried everything(even from an actual dermatologist) and all the products from Target or Wallie world and nothing did it. It's the combo. of all three that does something I'll tell ya!!! I have totally been there so I understand and I don't want you guys going through what I did before I found something that actually cleared up my skin. The 3 piece kit does last 2 months so if you do the math it really is no more than buying all the stuff from the drugstore. O.K. off my soapbox, just don't want you to go through the "finding the perfect stuff for my face" that I did.

    Good luck!!!! :lol:
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I hear you Carroll, I hear you. But the guys in the family are hard to break.
  • CarrollCarroll Posts: 224Registered Users
    LibbyLiz wrote:
    I hear you Carroll, I hear you. But the guys in the family are hard to break.

    I know, don't ya love it???? :?
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.
  • LipGlassHoneyLipGlassHoney Posts: 230Registered Users
    Carroll wrote:
    LibbyLiz wrote:
    I think I'm going to go with the real deal for my son, but don't know which set to get him. There's too many things to choose from & the costs are crazy.

    Should I just get him the basic set or what?

    The three piece is all you need!!! It's the cleanser/scrub, toner and the repairing lotion....it's GREAT!!!!! The total is about $48.00, and it lasts for about two months. HTH :wink:
    I used the basic set and that worked WONDERS for me. I did buy the moisturizer on EBay after my face cleared.
    Black and Puerto Rican 3c Natural since '95 (15). Growing hair to waist. PJ and Certified MAC JUNKIE and a freakin' DEMOCRAT!!! Visit my other page @ www.myspace.com/LipGlassHoney
    Me @ 6 mos. looking just like my son
  • AliceInWonderlandAliceInWonderland Posts: 32Registered Users
    I concur about the acne.org site. The products are all cheap and readibly available, and he teaches you to be gentle with your skin. I can't remember which message board I learned about it on, but I have been telling all my friends! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file