Help! I need to find a stylist in NYC...

fullofstarsfullofstars Registered Users Posts: 6
Yesterday I had yet another bad experience with a hairdresser in New York. I had heard she was great with wavy hair but apparently not with mine. It seems that everywhere I go in NYC stylists want to carve, razor and splice my hair into a wispy mess. I have thick wavy hair and none of those techniques work well for me - in fact - the carving technique takes the curl out of my hair.

I am so unhappy at the moment and am thinking of cutting my shoulder length hair short again because I've already lost so much volume. Does anyone know where I might find a more "old school" stylist in New York who can cut wavy hair beautifully without all the new techniques? Much appreciated!!!

With sad and drooping locks - Melissa

Comments

• allicatallicat Registered Users Posts: 134
    Have u tried devachan? Or arte salon does a really good job- Kimberly I have gone to at Arte- very good and $90 for a cut.
    CG
    3a-ish & fine stranded, Botticelli type curls
    Currently using low poo/no poo & Ouidad Stylers
    http://public.fotki.com/allishags/
  • fullofstarsfullofstars Registered Users Posts: 6
    Thanks for your reply - but the bad cut & color I got actually happened at Arte. I had read such good things about the salon and thought I couldn't go wrong but my experience wasn't good.

To be fair - there were things I could have done to avoid disappointment - my stylist was at a meeting before my color and never had a chance to see my hair when it was dry - I should have known better but I let it go and she cut my hair as if it were curly not wavy using scissor/slicing. When she styled it she used a ton of product (which I don't like and usually don't have to use) It looked "okay" when I left but a week later it's looking flat, drab and frayed. The color was also disappointing - I was hoping to have some highlights that popped but they were done so fine that I've come away with more of a monotone color and I'm still shuddering over the $300 price tag.

By "old school" I mean someone who can cut wavy hair in layerswithout using these new techniques which seem to work better on curly hair. I'd love to get this fixed and am still searching if anyone reads this!

Thanks again!
  • myCeliamyCelia Registered Users Posts: 195
    By "old school" I mean someone who can cut wavy hair in layerswithout using these new techniques which seem to work better on curly hair. I'd love to get this fixed and am still searching if anyone reads this!

Thanks again!

Sorry about your experience! Hope you find right stylist. *Now I'm getting nervous.*

What layering technique do you mean? (I'm mostly wavy too.) I ask because I'm getting my hair trimmed this Saturday by someone recommended in the CurlSalons section of this site. I'm new to the CG routine. This will be the first time going to a stylist as a wavy. I definitely could use some tips because I've never had a good experience at salons. Thanks!

myCelia :)
    What's working: MOP-C Hydrating Shampoo roots only EOD, Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner or Biolage Conditioning Balm; style with Innersense Quiet Calm Curl Control, and the AMAZING KCCC!
    http://public.fotki.com/myCelia111/
    2'ish, fine/medium ii, non-porous hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file