Spinoff: Post your NATURAL hair product routines...

love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
This is another thread in my series of threads raving about natural ingredients for hair.

Here's what I think I will try for the next month, to see how my hair likes it.

- weekly ACV rinse, followed by a coffee rinse (to make sure there is no stripping of my Naturtint color)

- weekly coconut oil DTs with some conditioner mixed in for better spreadability (and maybe heat up the coconut oil a little too to get rid of any white lumps). and substitute in jojoba oil for coconut oil in the DTs once or twice

- honey rinses a couple of times a week, or spray in some diluted honey or add a drop of honey to gel

Does anyone else have routines with their favorite natural hair care ingredients :?: If so, please post so that we can share ideas :)
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)

Comments

• smallpeassmallpeas Registered Users Posts: 162
    I do ACV rinses about once a week or once every two weeks.

I DT (bi)weekly with a mixture of coconut oil, jojoba oil, and honey. (The honey makes it less drippy.)

I always mix honey with my conditioner (Elucence MB) in the shower. Gives it great slip. I looooove that feeling.

I use LOTD Aloe Vera Gel +/- shea butter as a leave-in/moisturizer after the shower.

Occasionally, I use a spray of water, a little jojoba oil, and rosewater for moisture on dry hair.

• PokahontasPokahontas Registered Users Posts: 184
    ACV every 2 weeks.

Add honey to conditioner for co washes.

Honey rinses and spritzes (made with water, honey and EVOO).

Moisturize with shea butter.

FOTE aloe vera gel to style....sometimes mixed with EVOO.

I'm planning to try Honey mixed with shea butter for a moisturizer.
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
    anicetta wrote:
    I DT (bi)weekly with a mixture of coconut oil, jojoba oil, and honey. (The honey makes it less drippy.)

I want to try this!! But I think that I would mix it with some conditioner.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."

• werenumber2werenumber2 Registered Users Posts: 260
    Weekly ACV rinse after shampoo.

Weekly DT with either DDTA, Suave Humectant, TIGI Oatmeal and Honey (or any combo of the 3 - sometimes I mix Humectant and DDTA to make the DDTA last longer) mixed with coconut oil, honey, and occasionally melted shea butter.

Daily coconut oil leave-in for moisture and to cut down on gel crunch.

I haven't tried leaving in honey yet, and I would also like to try rosewater. I gave up on leaving in shea butter because it got to be way too heavy as the temperatures rose, but I might give it a whirl in the winter months.
    comic-p.jpg

3b/c fine corkscrews and spirals. Naked hair above.

Wash: Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo
    Condish: Shescentit Avocado/Honey Rinse
    Moisture DT: Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk, Crece Pelo
    Protein DT: Shescentit Okra Hair Repair Reconstructor
    Leave-Ins: Shescentit Coco Creme, Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean, Aubrey Organics Primrose Spray
    Stylers: Aubrey Organics B-5, Shea Moisture Curly Souffle

Subject to change!
  • blueskybluesky Registered Users Posts: 45
    every day wet hair, fully (in that case followed with cond and cold rinse) or just wet top layer when bunning-up and apply homemade flaxseed gel

2-3 times a week fully wet, apply honey rinse (2ts in one huge cup), massage and let sit for 3 min, apply cond on top, massage, let sit for 5-10 min, rinse with cold water, sometimes final rinse with cold black tea or green tea, followed with flax-gel for styling

all 2 weeks lemon-aid or ACV+cond for clarifying...ideally before the DT...

in theory once a week (reality is once all 4-6 weeks...) DT of either eggyolk+jojoba oil or just cond+honey+oil or ripe mango+yoghurt+oil

on the theory/project/to-try-list:
    homemade amla oil...still at project-stage :) to massage into scalp at nighttime 3-4 times a week (promotes hairgrowth, diminishes grays, gives a healthy scalp and shine)

...love to keep it simple!
    3b/c, natural products and homebrewn stuff
    love simplified routines
  • O d d i s y~O d d i s y~ Registered Users Posts: 1,042
    add olive oil to my condish
    plop with my coconut jelly -homemade!
    scrunch it FOTE with Honey
    :)
    100% natural. :)
    (excluding my condish and poo of course!)
    And the end of the day , all you've got is yourself..:headbang:
  • amoramor Registered Users Posts: 44
    whats your coconut jelly? :)
    amor wrote:
    whats your coconut jelly? :)

Amor-

It's posted on the Homemade Jojoba Jelly thread on the 3c hair board.

HTH!

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    I try to keep my routines simple and as natural as I can.

I "wash" my hair twice a week with conditioner, rinse, pour a cup of honey rinse (1 T. honey, 1 T. molasses, 1 T. conditioner, 1 T. gel mixed with a big cup of hot water) over my hair and do a very quick cold water rinse, while hair is still dripping wet I add lots of gel, plop in a microfiber turban for about a half hour, scrunch and air dry. On the days I don't "wash" I just wet my hair and do the rinse, gel, etc.

Every week or so, I do a vinegar rinse (1/4 cup vinegar [I use any kind - wine, cider, white, rice] mixed with a couple cups of warm water). Pour through wet hair, scrunch around a bit, then rinse. Then condition, etc, as usual.

Once a month or so I do a conditioning treatment. I mix some honey, molasses, coconut oil, and conditioner together and put it in wet hair. Cover with a plastic bag, then a warm towel, and let it sit for an hour or so. Then rinse, condition, etc.

Once a month I color my hair with a concoction of henna, sage, rosemary, vinegar, and coffee.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • ColochaColocha Registered Users Posts: 344
    Once a week: ACV, brown sugar scrub and DT. With the DT´s I´m still experimenting. TOday I used coconut oil, shea butter and half a leaf of aloe vera. Liked it.

Wash every other day or 2 days with Avalon organics shampoo and conditioning with VO5. Use shea, glycerin, flax and aloe as styling product.

Give it another try: honey. I´ve put honey before and it feels dry or sticky and not shiny. Next time I´ll dissolve it on water.
    sometimes final rinse with cold black tea or green tea, followed with flax-gel for styling
    Bluesky,
    I just bought green tea, how does it leave your hair?
    or just cond+honey+oil or ripe mango+yoghurt+oil

I tried mango with papaya and my hair felt dry...Is there something I´m doing wrong? :(
    "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 18:21

Hair type: 3b/c
  • jabbyjabby Registered Users Posts: 68
    I'm totally jealous of these routines! I've tried honey about 10 different ways, and all I get is wet looking, sticky, crunchy hair. And I've tried adding as little as 1/4 teaspoon to a handful of conditioner, and it still happens. I can't use any straight oils either, or I look like an oil slick for a week.

I guess I'll stick with the ACV rinses. Those work well for me, and I use them whenever my hair and scalp seem to need the help.

I also use epsom salt mixed with some Suave conditioner when my scalp feels icky.
    3A/B hair, fine and lots of it
    currently loving: Suave M&H conditioner, CurlKeeper, B&A gel
    Hi Colocha,

...i'm so useless with computers, can't do the quote thing...don't laugh!!!

Green tea rinses are just leaving a very nice clean fresh feel on the hair,
    not sure if anything happens colourwise in the long run.
    I'm such a huge fan of tea and I know it has lots of "freshen-up"/cleansing properties....
    Black tea definitely enhances the dark and auburn tones and my hair has a slight rough handfeel when wet, once it's dry it just looks pretty shiny it's more for colour than texture/softness.

Sorry to hear your fruit hair mask didn't give great results...maybe twist the ratio of oil/honey/yoghurt and the fruit-part...papaya got lot's of enzymes, great for exfoliating face scrubs...no idea if the enzymes can be stripping the natural hair oils, but then the added oil should compensate this. ??? I've only used mango before, sorry can't really help on this, maybe if you're still up to it try only mango plus the other goodies next time and see this improves the effect?....
    love simplified routines
    I've only used mango before, sorry can't really help on this, maybe if you're still up to it try only mango plus the other goodies next time and see this improves the effect?....

Bluesky,

How´s the ratio when you use mango, yogurt, oil? What are the results? What´s mango good for? :roll: I ask this because there is a VO5 line called Mango Passion, therefore, I thought that mango is a good fruit for a DT...
    "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 18:21

Colocha,
    try 2/3 fruit and 1/3 yoghurt plus some oil as you need it.
    Mango is giving a wonderfull scent and vitamins. I guess any kind of very ripe and "rich" fruit, NOT green, sour, unripe,acid will give lots of benefits.
    Make sure it's very finely mashed, so you don't have the little bits and pieces left sticking in your locks after rinsing!

good luck!
    love simplified routines
    one more natural treatment I forgot to mention:
    pure coconut-juice out of the can as a DT.
    if coconut oil works well for you this may be nice, the creamy texture is so yummy and the ratio of oil is just right, rinse with cold water afterwards and then you're ready.

also for the green tea fans: use it as a toner on your skin, great for mild clarifying and cleansing and refreshing!
    love simplified routines
    bluesky wrote:
    Colocha,
    try 2/3 fruit and 1/3 yoghurt plus some oil as you need it.
    Mango is giving a wonderfull scent and vitamins. I guess any kind of very ripe and "rich" fruit, NOT green, sour, unripe,acid will give lots of benefits.
    Make sure it's very finely mashed, so you don't have the little bits and pieces left sticking in your locks after rinsing!

good luck!

This is very creative, and sounds like a fun thing to try on vacation or on a lazy weekend afternoon!

Colocha - Have you tried it yet??

Curltopia and Bluesky,

Yes, I finally used a mango on my hair!! :lol: Used a ripe mango, plain yogurt and and egg white. Really, I don´t know what to think about protein DTs.

I put a picture on the blog. I see that my hair looks dry...

Hi Colocha,

pretty girl! I really like your haircolor!

why are you avoiding oils?...just curious....

..the reason for the dry feel after your mango mask may be the egg-whites...
    I've never used eggwhites, only the yolk, which is rich and nutritious.

What kind of natural stuff are you using to get moisture into your hair if you can't use oils?
    Do you live in a dry climate?...maybe glycerin will help, it's a humectant...
    Are you feeding your hair from the inside with extra vitamins and minerals with your food-intake?

My yoga teacher taught me a great and very simple thing to do, excellent for nails and hair: Soak 5 almonds (natural with skin, untreated=not roasted, salted,) organic are the best! in some water overnight. The next morning before you eat or drink anything else, peel the skin and eat, enjoy this simple and delicious natural gift.
    In very short time your nails will become healthy, strong, shiny...the hair will follow.

Did you ever try an avocado mask? it's not oil per se but you can benefit from the very rich oils in it ...
    love simplified routines
    Colocha-

I see the new picture and I like it :D Your hair is such a changeling... In some of the pictures, it looks just like Urbancurl's and in others it has a totally unique look. Regardless, I think you should play around with oils and just enjoy all of that purty hair! :P

• banjocurlbanjocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    Colocha wrote:
    Curltopia and Bluesky,

Yes, I finally used a mango on my hair!! :lol: Used a ripe mango, plain yogurt and and egg white. Really, I don´t know what to think about protein DTs.

I put a picture on the blog. I see that my hair looks dry...

Colocha--when your hair looked like this
    DSCF0390.jpg

you said it was BEFORe. Before what? I think this is incredibly gorgeous. Your hair after is really nice too and looks longer but I do like this BEFORE look too!! I would be thrilled if my hair could look like yours but i do not think it is thick enough---also a ripe mango would be in my belly too fast to use on my hair :)
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
    bluesky wrote:
    Hi Colocha,

pretty girl! I really like your haircolor!

why are you avoiding oils?...just curious....

..the reason for the dry feel after your mango mask may be the egg-whites...
    I've never used eggwhites, only the yolk, which is rich and nutritious.

What kind of natural stuff are you using to get moisture into your hair if you can't use oils?
    Do you live in a dry climate?...maybe glycerin will help, it's a humectant...
    Are you feeding your hair from the inside with extra vitamins and minerals with your food-intake?

My yoga teacher taught me a great and very simple thing to do, excellent for nails and hair: Soak 5 almonds (natural with skin, untreated=not roasted, salted,) organic are the best! in some water overnight. The next morning before you eat or drink anything else, peel the skin and eat, enjoy this simple and delicious natural gift.
    In very short time your nails will become healthy, strong, shiny...the hair will follow.

Did you ever try an avocado mask? it's not oil per se but you can benefit from the very rich oils in it ...

Bluesky,

Thanks! :D I´m avoiding oils because they made my hair dry!! My ends felt like straw. I asked here on NC.com, and it seems that other curlies had the same problem. I first started using shea butter every time i washed my hair. I really loved the results. But then, I ran out of shea and tried with coconut oil that my friend brought from the US. After a couple of weeks I noticed that the coconut oil dried my hair! Running out of shea butter threw off my routine, I have to find something that works in my hair.

I live in a humid weather. And also try to eat healthily, like eating fruits, brown rice, salads, bake bread, etc. I take vitamin e and coenzyme Q10.

Moisture? well, I use glycerin and aloe vera, but since I got thrown off my routine, I´m not using them that often.

I tried the avocado mask but I didn´t see any good visible results. My hair is just complicated--or it´s just me--.

Mmmm...I better try those almonds!

Curltopia,

Thanks! :D:D Any suggestions of oils? have you had dryness by using oils? How often do you use them? I love shea butter, probably will be getting it in October.

Banjocurl,

Thanks too! :D:D The "before" picture is my naturally curly hair. The rest of the pictures are of my hair texturized. I'm growing it out.

Your comment encouraged me to love my hair!

Hi Colocha,

...mmh...understand...I got that fried/dry effect with the use of coconutoil, almondoil and peanutoil.
    Did you try jojoba-oil yet? My hair loves it...it's quickly absorbed and really "thinner" than the other oils....and it's fantastic for your skin too!

..aloe vera...has that same weird drying effect as well...on me...be glad if it works for you!

..if coconut is ok for you, then you could try this little twist:coconut juice out of the can, the milky, creamy kind straight into your hair as a mask...yummy!

do you have access to any other butters? ...mango-, cacao-, avocado- etc?

...if my ends feel really dry i would put my regular cond just on the ends and then style as usual with my flaxgel on top, this helps a bit.

bye!
    love simplified routines
    Bumping for Nearly Erudite Latina.......................

bluesky wrote:
    Hi Colocha,

...mmh...understand...I got that fried/dry effect with the use of coconutoil, almondoil and peanutoil.
    Did you try jojoba-oil yet? My hair loves it...it's quickly absorbed and really "thinner" than the other oils....and it's fantastic for your skin too!

..aloe vera...has that same weird drying effect as well...on me...be glad if it works for you!

..if coconut is ok for you, then you could try this little twist:coconut juice out of the can, the milky, creamy kind straight into your hair as a mask...yummy!

do you have access to any other butters? ...mango-, cacao-, avocado- etc?

...if my ends feel really dry i would put my regular cond just on the ends and then style as usual with my flaxgel on top, this helps a bit.

bye!

Don´t have access to any of the butters, jojoba oil or milky coconut juice(there is a lot of coconut trees here, the thing is to make it and I don´t have time for it :) )

Yesterday I did a papaya, olive oil and organic honey DT. Washed it out with Avalon shampoo and a little bit of Nature´s gate condish. Put some flax seed gel and regular gel on. It turned out all frizzy, with minimum curl formation. I guess it´s because there is a tropical depression passing through the area and it´s raining a lot and very humid. The only good thing I can say is that my hair is softer and my ends don´t feel dry.

Hi Colocha,

...oh those nasty humid storms are horrible for our curls!
    ...we got our share of typhoons here in Asia....

did you try the soaked almond routine? it's really good....

also sesame seeds have lots of natural calcium and magnesium...great hair-food too...eating a handfull each day is recommended

:) but it's so easy to forget all this in the little time I'm home mornings and evenings..
    love simplified routines
  • O d d i s y~O d d i s y~ Registered Users Posts: 1,042
    wow.. i hv heard abt this almond routine.. maybe i'll start doing soon!!!
    i've been only drinking coffee religiously.
    :?
    And the end of the day , all you've got is yourself..:headbang:
    Hi Oddissy,

you've added cookiemonster to your name....loving cookies? ;)

are you still in Bejing?...it's an amazing city isn't it?

the almonds work great, but I also need my morning dose of green tea...as an eye-opener!
    love simplified routines
    Odissy,
    Got an addition to your name? 8)

Bluesky,
    No, I haven´t done the almond thing. I should soon! And yes, I´m feel dragged today...it´s so dreary, rainy and dark! The passing of hurricane Stan has left a lot of rains and clouds! Yes, I need some coffee too! I guess green tea has caffeine, right? Last week I had some green tea at night and then I couldn´t sleep :shock:

Bluesky,
    I forgot to ask you...do you have pictures? I would like to see them!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file