Best brands of eyeshadow?

internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
I need something better than drugstore eyeshadow. They always end up too light. I want to invest in some good eye makeup. I have heard great things about MAC, but there is nowhere near me that sells it. I would have to buy online. Other than the official MAC site, where else can I buy it? Any other names you would recommend?

Comments

• VanedaVaneda Posts: 402Registered Users
    I absolutely love (love, love!) Bobbi Brown eyeshadows - especially her shimmer wash shades. They have just the right amount of shimmer to them. My all time favorite eyeshadow shade is her stone shimmer. I have used these shadows for several years and always come back to them.

She comes out with really nice limited-edition eyeshadow palettes from time to time. I bought her "sandwashed nudes palette" a few months ago and I am really happy with the shades (its contains shades of taupe/brown/neutrals).

If you are looking for a good eyeliner the BB gel eyeliner is also awesome.

I have also tried shadows from Meow Cosmetics and Everday Minerals and they are really nice too (and probably more inexpensive than BB...). I just don't like the messiness of mineral shadows, I prefer to use pressed eyeshadows.
    2/b-2/c - I shampoo daily with non-sulfate shampoos - right now am *loving* L'Oreal Everpure shampoo and conditioner
    For styling: homemade flax seed gel, Curl Keeper, and/or KCCC
    Current favorite product: *KCCC*!!

• internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I was considering the EM shadow since i was ordering a kit, but assumed they wouldn't have much pigment in them. Maybe I should give it a go and see how I like it. They don't have enough colors to choose from though. Where do you buy your BB from?
  • VanedaVaneda Posts: 402Registered Users
    I just buy BB from the website directly (bobbibrown.com). I have been a registered customer with them for so long I always get free shipping, which is a plus for me.

Maybe BB is not what you are looking for though - you will have to check out her website - because I think her makeup is very "neutral".

I have no experience with MAC, but I have heard that many love this brand because they offer so many color options. Again, no personal experience so I don't know but maybe its worth a look at..?
    2/b-2/c - I shampoo daily with non-sulfate shampoos - right now am *loving* L'Oreal Everpure shampoo and conditioner
    For styling: homemade flax seed gel, Curl Keeper, and/or KCCC
    Current favorite product: *KCCC*!!

• 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    BB eyeshadows are great, but I also really am pleased w/the Stila eyeshadows. The color I have (Kitten) has a nice shimmer and there's no creasing at all. You can "try before you buy" them at Sephora, if there's one near you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i have an awful lot of MAC eyeshadows, so i'm VERY biased!

:lol:

i like Stila for lighter shades, i find their darker ones don't have good colour payoff.

NARS shadows just don't have enough pigment - today i'm wearing Cairo and it looks like a gorgeous, deep sandy brown in the pan, but goes on as pale tan.

my sister wears Benefit and REALLY likes their product. she tells me that it even stays on during a dance performance for an entire evening (she teaches belly dance).

is there any particular colour you're looking for? perhaps i could recommend some MAC shades...
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    I do need a highlighter, but I am already following the thread about that. A nice navy blue, I love purples, maybe a goldish hue that isn't metallic or too shimmery. I have super dark brown eyes, dark hair, and light/medium kind of olive/maybe tan toned skin with yellow under tones. I am open to any color suggestions that you think might work. Here's a picture that most closely(at least on my monitor) depicts my skin tone.

l_62b11b7e3a828e11e445d4945e9baabb.jpg
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I know don't you want drugstore, but Wet 'n Wild eyeshadows are amazing. Good color saturation, lasts all day. I always look forward to their new color palettes each season.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
    i have very dark brown eyes, too, and Shale is my favourite purple. it isn't too red, so doesn't give you that crying look, or so blue you get the bruised look - the undertones are very grey. also look at Plum Dressing and Satellite Dreams.

my favourite navy blue is Contrast, it's got a more subtle shimmer than Deep Truth, which is a frost.

Gorgeous Gold is a softly shimmering gold that you might like more than Goldmine, which is also a frost.

and if you were thinking of green at all, try Sumptuous Olive or Swimming.
    My blog:

• HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
    I was actually about to post a thread about some super great eyeshadow brands I've been hearing about on what else other than youtube. . I've heard the same about lighter stila shades as well. Alright, here goes.

1. MAC- I know you can't buy their eye shadows online, but I found a place that sells real pigment samples for like $4 and they're half a teaspoon (about 40 uses). These sites were approved by MAC artists as being authentic. http://thebodyneeds.com and http://cherylsshinyeyes.ecrater.com/

2. NYX cosmetics- Extremely comparable to MAC as far as color pay off is concerned, AND 1/7 of the price. Great color selection as well. They also carry pigments, shadesticks, and shadows. They have a site http://nyxcosmetics.com, but http://cherryculture.com is cheaper.

3. L'oreal HIP- This is pricey for a drugstore brand, but often on sale for BOGO at places like walgreens or cvs.

4. Napoleon Perdis- Australian guy with very pigmented products. You can find him on sephora.

5. La Femme Cosmetics- I just saw a review on these products and I was extremely impressed. They are very pigmented, high quality but very budget friendly. Apparently a hollywood secret. you can find them at http://makeupmania.com Their blushes are also very pretty.

The next few are MMUs that have awesomely beautiful colors AND offer samples for like $2. Real sizes are still pretty cheap around $5.

http://taylormademinerals.com

http://pureluxecosmetics.com

http://beautyfromtheearth.com
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i'm almost exclusively a mac girl because of the range of colors and textures. you literally can have any color you want and with my lumene eye shadow base my shadow stays all day and i have the OILIEST eyelids.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    hmkenny wrote: »
    I know don't you want drugstore, but Wet 'n Wild eyeshadows are amazing. Good color saturation, lasts all day. I always look forward to their new color palettes each season.
    I guess I don't mind drugstore brands, just that so far I haven't had much luck as far as eyeshadows go. I was in today and was looking at the Loreal HiP eyeshadows and thinking they might work. I could get some one a buy one get one free sale.
    I1. MAC- I know you can't buy their eye shadows online

where did you get that idea?

www.maccosmetics.com

and they often have free shipping deals!
    My blog:

rouquinne wrote: »
    I1. MAC- I know you can't buy their eye shadows online

where did you get that idea?

www.maccosmetics.com

and they often have free shipping deals!

I meant at some place other than their website. Sorry, I should've finished my thought.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in

HN I forgot to ask, have you used the NYX stuff? If I can get something comparable to MAC but cheaper, then I am all for cheaper. ;) Does it last as long?
    Milani also makes MAC knock-offs.
    My blog:

HN I forgot to ask, have you used the NYX stuff? If I can get something comparable to MAC but cheaper, then I am all for cheaper. ;) Does it last as long?

I personally haven't used it, but I know plenty of people who have and say it's extremely comparable to it. It has great pigmentation with a nice selection. Like any eye makeup especially if you have oily eyelids, you want to use a primer. Everyone's fav seems to be Urban Decay Primer Potion. It's colorless and silicone based. You can also use something like paintpots or shadsticks to act as a base. It prevents the shadow from creasing, makes it more true to what's in the jar, and last longer. I'm about to ransack cherry culture for some shadows. I definitely recommend youtubing (ha like googling) NYX eyeshadows so you can see just how great these colors are and even give you an idea of what colors you might like to try.

I love MAC, they really, truly set the bar, but people use it like the end all be all for measuring high end makeup when the truth is, there are much more expensive high end lines. NARS single shadows are like 22 bucks or something and their duos are 32. The best advice I have is unless you really really just love the brand, there's nothing wrong with finding a more budget conscious alternative if it's good quality. This goes for things like neutrals. EVERYONE makes neutrals, but not some of the vibrant bright colors that MAC makes. So decide what you really want to spend your money on.

Oh yeah, I've heard people complain about the MAC online swatches being inaccurate and I pretty much agree with this from what I have from them. If at all possible, get to a store or I know alot of women on youtube do swatches on their skin so that will give you a good idea.

I have heard about Milani being a good drugstore brand as well.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in

• riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Urban Decay Deluxe Eyeshadows have the best texture and pigment I have encountered so far. They are powder but are so fine the feel like cream and you can apply them like a powder or a cream.

They are pricey at $16-18 each but each one is huge and will last a very long time. The shade Scratch is the perfect neutral pink that goes with anything. Graffiti is the perfect true green. Its not lime, teal or olive, just true green.

The regular UD eyeshadows are pretty good too. Before I got into UD, I was a MAC die-hard, and I'd still recommend them.

I just tried some Bare Ecsentuals e/s and bleah. Bad pigmentation, hard to blend. Back to Ulta they go.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
    Urban Decay really does have pretty colors and the texture is nice. They get left out alot. You like the Deluxe collection, riot? I saw them and felt like a 5 year old again "Ooo, look at all the pretty colors" lol.

Their matte selection is lacking, though as well as Stila's. MAC has the best matte collection hands down. Sometimes you just don't want sparkles or sheen.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in

I love MAC, they really, truly set the bar, but people use it like the end all be all for measuring high end makeup when the truth is, there are much more expensive high end lines.

just because something is more expensive doesn't make it better.

NARS eyeshadows have horrible colour payoff for the price you're paying - which is the reason i only have two.

and every Bobbi Brown neutral can be found at MAC for less.
    My blog:

I love MAC, they really, truly set the bar, but people use it like the end all be all for measuring high end makeup when the truth is, there are much more expensive high end lines.

just because something is more expensive doesn't make it better.

NARS eyeshadows have horrible colour payoff for the price you're paying - which is the reason i only have two.

and every Bobbi Brown neutral can be found at MAC for less.

No I know that, and you know that, but alot of people don't they think if you're not wearing MAC you might as well not be wearing anything. There are hardcore devotees out there everywhere. Some people aren't even willing to try things if it's not from that specific brand. I agree with you. I wasn't saying more expensive brands are better, I was saying that for those people that use MAC as a status sort of thing ("Oh I use MAC you can only get it here etc) there are more expensive lines out there. MAC is considered on the inexpensive end of high end. Which I guess is a good thing since you get addicted to it. Better than being addicted to Chanel.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in

^^^ or, heaven forbid, Sisley.

the people with the $45 mascara and $70 blush!!!!

:shock:
    My blog:

• riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah I love the UD's Deluxe line, and the bright colors actually aren't that shimmery. The neutrals are a little bit. UD came out with some matte shadows, and they are ok. I have Yeyo, a pure white that I layer on top of the Deluxe shadows to make them more matte and subtle for work.

I just have never found anything that blends like the Deluxe shadows. I did this look using 3 different colors on the lid:

DSCN0652.jpg
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
    Rou, where do you find Milani products? Their website only lists an online shop, and I would like to see the colors in person. I am going to check out Rite Aid and Walgreens later on, and one video reviewer mentioned K Mart(I'll call them, since it would take about 20 minutes to drive to).
    Also, has anyone tried the Palladio brand that is carried at Sally Beauty?

I really wish there was an Ulta or Sephora nearby. sigh.gif

Or maybe that is a blessing. teehee2.gif
  • oethereal1oethereal1 Posts: 327Registered Users
    our local CVS carries milani products.

what do you guys think is the longest-lasting eyeshadow? i like to layer it over my eyeliner, and i'd like a rich, cool-shaded dark brown that will hold on for awhile.
    Using a primer made a big difference for me as far as how long wearing(and crease free) my eyeshadows are. I use the Monistat chafing powder relief gel(I think I named it correctly) that RCW(I believe) got a lot of posters using. I am by no means an expert, since so far I have just tried drugstore eyeshadows. However, the L'Oréal Wear Infinite shadows go on well, don't crease, and last a long time.
  • oethereal1oethereal1 Posts: 327Registered Users
    i'm a drugstore makeup chick too, except for my bobbi brown liner. i was wondering about l'oreal infinite e/s.

i tried my almay pore minimizer as an eyeshadow/liner primer today. worked pretty well. do you use the monistat stuff as primer for everything? does it reduce shine too? hide pores? if so, that'll be my next purchase...
    oh, yeah, the chafing relief gel has an almost identical ingredient list to most of the higher-priced primers on the market.
    My blog:

oethereal1 wrote: »
    i'm a drugstore makeup chick too, except for my bobbi brown liner. i was wondering about l'oreal infinite e/s.

i tried my almay pore minimizer as an eyeshadow/liner primer today. worked pretty well. do you use the monistat stuff as primer for everything? does it reduce shine too? hide pores? if so, that'll be my next purchase...
    I find that it does minimize my pores, not sure if it reduces shine or if it's my mineral makeup(Everyday Minerals), and my makeup looks much smoother with it on. I am really happy with it. It hasn't given me any breakouts either. I have acne prone skin and this hasn't bothered it one bit.
    oh, yeah, the chafing relief gel has an almost identical ingredient list to most of the higher-priced primers on the market.
    And I am all about saving a buck when I can :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file