Also need some support

enelyaenelya Registered Users Posts: 69
I saw the wonderful advice given in the other support thread and thought I'd post aswell.

I'm a 2c but also think I might have some bott. curls aswell.

Anyway, I've tried the curly girl method for wavy hair the past two days. So far I like in that it definitley helps hold and shape the curl better, but so far I have not been happy with the way the top of my head looks or the way the rest of my hair looks.

Right now I am finding the the top of my head sits funny. Last night I pinned it to prevent flat top, but I got these weird kinks in my hair, so tonight I pinned it a different way and now I kinda have "rooster head", where my top sits a bit high and then just falls against my face and the rest of my hair looks flat compared to the top (think of a less dramatic mullet... dosen't look good)! My hair is also less shiny and more frizzy. But again, it does hold the curl better. But I think I might try wetting and conditioning it every other day, rather than everyday... I am not sure my hair likes being wet everyday (hence the frizz).

I'm also trying a new conditioner that I bought because it contains alot of the ingredients that the book said to look for, but it also has a lot of protein so I am wondering if I also might be protein sensitive?

Anyway, I know the book said that it might look worse for the first bit and that I'll have to give it three - four weeks, which I am planning on doing, and I also know I'll have to play around with it a bit, but here is what I'm doing, any advice or stories from when you first started would be great:

Once a week (yesterday):

brown sugar scrub with conditioner (1 tbsp sugar, three conditioner)
lemon juice wash, mixed in with 1 tsp conditioner
after shower, rinsed hair with cold water to help reduce frizz
scrunched dried per method descirbed in CG with gel

Tonight:
Conditioned: 1 tsp of conditioner, with a quick, few second rinse
after shower, rinsed hair with cold water to help reduce frizz
scrunched dried per method descirbed in CG with gel

And here are the products I'm using:

John Masters Organics Lavender and Avocado Intensive Conditioner:

Aqueous Organic Extracts of Rosemary, Nettle, Chamomile, Horsetail, Comfrey, Hops, Burdock, Cherry Bark, Stearalkonium Chloride (Nitrogen-based Softening Agent), Glycerin, Jojoba Oil, Cetyl, Cetearyl Alcohol (Vegetable-based Emulsifier), Safflower Oil, Shea Butter, Avocado Oil, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Evening Primrose Oil, Essential Oil of Cedarwood, Lavender, Honey, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Polysorbate 60, DMDM Hydantoin

Curelle Medium Hold Styling Gel:

Purified water, galactoarabinan, xanthan gum, glycerine...vegetable, lonicera japonica, organic lime oil.

Comments

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    I don't know if the brown sugar scrub and lemon cleanse are meant for the same day.

Lemon juice at all tends to make me dry and frizzy. I would experiment with finding other cleansing methods besides that and see if it helps maybe?

Also, the book states you can use a gentler detergent once in a while if you are a 2. So I wouldn't be totally afraid of that.

Can't help with clipping, sorry. I just can't go to that place or it will take me five hours to get ready.

Welcome! Oh and if you really want some support you could post some pics of your waves so we can say how pretty they are :)
  • enelyaenelya Registered Users Posts: 69
    Thanks!

I use the lemon juice for my dandruff as I find it helps (or at least did until this week...) with the flakes and itchyness. But I think I'll skip on that next week when I do the sugar scrub again, and I'll see how it goes. I do have a shampoo I can use:

Curelle Hydra Shampoo:

Purified water, decyl polyglucose, na coco hydrolysed soy protein, sucrose cocoate, hydrolysed wheat protein, wheat oligosaccharides, xanthan gum, panthenol, lonicera japonica, citric acid, coconut, corn, coco and soy (no GMO).

Any advice on dandruff treatments?

And I'll look into possibly posting some pics when I get a chance to take some :)
    Without googling every single one of those ingredients, they look fine to me unless you are sensitive to protein. It definitely has a lot of protein, which it seems like most wavies are not sensitive to. So unless it's building up or causing some protein thing, I think it seems fine.

Hmm, what color is your hair and do you want to change the color? If it's anything other than black and you don't mind a stain of holy freaking red, then henna will clear up dandruff. I'm not sure if cassia (similar to henna but imparts no dye and the conditioning and other benefits are somewhat lessened but still there) will but it could be worth a try.

If you don't want to go the plant route, the active ingredient of many dandruff shampoos are sulphur related things. If you are not a vegan and your hair isn't protein sensitive I would try an egg yolk scalp treatment. Sounds nuts but it's really the same thing only gentler and not mixed with detergent.

To get off any flakes that have already flaked, I would just keep going with the brown sugar scrub. But make sure to rinse it out good, and careful with the lemon, which can be more drying on scalp skin as well as hair.
  • eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    You may find that if you cut out, or at least keep shampoo to once a week, that your flaky scalp will clear up. Shampoo doesn't just dry out your hair, but can dry out your scalp, too. Give it a good 4-6 weeks, though, because your scalp will need that time to adjust.

You will probably need to use more than just one tsp to detangle and condition. Depending on how rich the conditioner is, you could use from a quarter size blob to a couple of palmfuls. You will have to experiment. Your hair should feel like seaweed, kinda slimy, after rinsing. Be sure to scrub/massage your scalp with your fingertips.

You may have to try leaving some conditioner in your hair, too. That can help reduce frizz. Also, apply the gel to soaking wet hair and scrunch to get the drips out. You can try plopping or using a tee shirt to scrunch more of the water out. Expect to do a lot of experimenting to find out what combination of products and techniques work best for you. Keep reading these threads to learn more. Have fun!
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • InfraredheadInfraredhead Registered Users Posts: 335
    I had the same trouble with clips when I first started using them. I tried different kinds and have found the best bang for your buck is at Sally Beauty Supply. My hair hates any kind of clip with teeth on it. The best ones I have used so far are these:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Metal+Section+Clips/SBS-292515,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair14-02

I usually co wash at night then apply product to sopping wet hair. Tonight I mixed some Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee with HE Totally Twisted Mousse. After I plopped for a few minutes I took it down, scrunched it around to try and get the darn waves to turn into curls.

After that my normal clip routine is to do the following: 1. I take three clips and run them straight (horizontally) across the top of my head. 2. I then take two more clips and run these in a front to back direction underneath the three that are sitting horizontally on top of my head.

All of the clips sit as close to the root line as possible. If they go up any further the dreaded crimp line shows OR if I put too much in the clip section. I had to experiment a while before I figured out what I was doing but this works a heck of a lot better than any root lifter spray I have tried.

OMG my neighbor knocked on my door a few days ago and I answered it with the clips in my hair. They never hurt so I usually forget they are in. He looked at me like I was an alien from Mars.

Before I forget, I do not take the clips out until my hair is probably around 80% dry. I usually get a nice even lift on my head when I do the above. Hope that helps. Keep at it...my hair looked and felt funky too when I started. Sorry for that long winded explanation :laughing7:
    Mod CG since April of 2007.
    Wow! Thanks so much for all the advice! :)

I'm happy to report that the day after I wrote my first post, my hair settled down a bit. The top lost its rooster / mullet look and some of the frizz went down. I guess my hair just needs time to settle after being conditioned (usually it seems to settle after I've slept), so I'm thinking I'll condition at most every other day instead of everyday.

Course, even if it did go down, frizz was a bit of a problem. I had to pin back the front layers in my hair when I went to work on Friday, beause my hair just looked too heavy with all of it down.

I just conditioned my hair today, but so far I can't quite say how it's going. I scrunched with a t-shirt today instead of a hand-towel and noticed that it's definitley during scrunching that my hair gets frizziest.

When I got out of the shower, I rinsed again with cold water from the fridge, scrunched with a t-shirt and then scrunched with my hands and gel. I then very gently rubbed down some gel on my hair after scrunching to smooth some of the frizz. I'm thinking I might try geling it first next time, but I am worried the t-shirt might remove the product...

Now I am letting it hair dry with no pins except two in the front for my front layers (which give me the most problems- they don't hold the curl, they just frizz and poof out).

I'll let you know how it works out once it's dry (in 5 hours... :wink:)

I might also take and post some pics.

Oh and, this Tuesday is my day to use the sugar scrub treatment again. I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to do that and shampoo in the same day, would it? I'm just trying to figure out when I should shampoo. I used the lemon rince last Tues, so my hair will be okay until then, but then if I don't shampoo on Tues then I won't be able to do it until Thursday (as again, I've decided to not condition / wet my hair everyday).
    Well my hair has had a couple of hours to dry and so far there is still quite a bit of frizz, especially in the back. But I am not too worried about that as I expect some of it will go down when I sleep tonight.

I have the opposite problem in my front layers. They tend to give me the most trouble and tend to hold less curl so I really focused on making sure that part had a good scrunch and amount of gel. Well I think I overdid it on the gel because there's no frizz in those layers, but they also feel crunchy and despite feeling dry, they look wet. I dunno, personally I think I'd rather a bit of frizz and soft feeling hair than crunchy hair that looks wet.

But I guess that's good because that means next time I can use less gel, and I'm always happy when I can use less product, it's better for my sensitive face and cheaper :toothy7:
    When it's totally dry (not a minute before, that will just create frizz) scrunch it again. That will get rid of the crunchy wet look.
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Registered Users Posts: 3,823 Curl Neophyte
    One thing that helps with dandruff or a dry, flaky scalp is tea tree oil. You use about 8 drops per oz of liquid and can put it in your conditioner, just make sure you rub it into your scalp. It's stinky, but the smell goes away as your hair dries.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file