Are you beautiful?

Pacific PoppyPacific Poppy Posts: 253Registered Users
I was reading this article:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/adtrack/2005-08-28-track-dove_x.htm about those Dove ads, which I have yet to actually see. What I found interesting was this quote:

"The study found that two-thirds of women believe that media and advertising set a standard of beauty unattainable by most women — and that just 2% of respondents considered themselves to be beautiful."

I'm just interested what you all think.

ETA: I had another option "I don't give a dang how I look... stupid poll!", but it didn't show up. :?
3c, CG Fine hairs, med growth.
Formerly "Rainyday"
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I think I'm beautiful....some days I even catch myself in the mirror and think I'm stunning :D

I think alot of it's how your raised instead of whats in magazines. We happen to have a few very good sets of genes running through our family tree and I've been surounded by pretty good looking, very confident people growing up. My friends also happen to be very confident and have very healthy self esteem. We're all diffrent shapes, sizes and colours, but all very happy with ourselves and I think that makes more of an impact than any magazine or commercial ever could.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • MephistoMephisto Posts: 555Registered Users
    I am totally friggin' gorgeous. 8)

Sometimes, I look in the mirror and I say to myself, "Man, if you weren't already taken, I'd f**k you!"
    The good people do is interred with their bones. Their mistakes live on forever...
  • Aphro-DeeziacAphro-Deeziac Posts: 983Registered Users
    depends on what day it is :D
    26560_1412644406072_1531382664_31035658_3971206_n.jpg
  • zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Posts: 3,826Banned Users
    im the hottest thing since sliced bread. 8)
  • kimmyckimmyc Posts: 551Registered Users
    zmanzzzz wrote:
    im the hottest thing since sliced bread. 8)

But we already knew that! :mrgreen:

Me, I'm just okay I think. :) That's okay, I wouldn't want to cramp zmanzzzz style.
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm not beautiful, but I'm damn cute. :D
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I would not use the word "beautiful" to describe myself because I do not think I conform to the idea of a classic or conventional beauty, but thank God I don't.

I do think I am very attractive/striking/head-turning/unique looking/sometimes cute/alluring/sensuous - and I also think that that is about more than my looks. As CurlyCanadian said, it also has to do with confidence, self-esteem and so on, and also the way you take care of and present yourself, which is important to me to do well.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    depends on what day it is

:lol: same here

Seriously though, Face wise I'll say yes. Body wise now that's a different story. :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • j'adorej'adore Posts: 1,966Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Amneris wrote:
    I would not use the word "beautiful" to describe myself because I do not think I conform to the idea of a classic or conventional beauty, but thank God I don't.

I do think I am very attractive/striking/head-turning/unique looking/sometimes cute/alluring/sensuous

This is how I feel about me, too. :D

When you say "beautiful" in a strictly physical sense....well, I am a nice looking person. Some would say beautiful (and I love and appreciate those people immensely :D ). But...eh...you could find many, many things "wrong" or "awkward" about my face. There's pretty, then there's flawless beauty like Halle Berry or Salma Hayek. That ain't me.

But I am a unique looking person. I like the word "striking" :D Besides the flawless beauty, there are those who have enough stand out features to be above average. That's a cool spot to be in. :wink:
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
  • alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Posts: 619Registered Users
    I have been called beautiful by strangers, family, friends, friend's parents, etc.

All of them say that I am beautiful because of my features, posture, and I have a certain sophistication with me/carry myself a certain way that is not seen too often. All of those people cannot be wrong, right? LOL

Do *I* consider myself beautiful?

When I look at myself I see the beauty of my mother and grandparents and because they are beautiful I feel that I am beautiful too.

ETA: "hottest thing since sliced bread": post your picture for us to judge! :wink:
    We're all born mad. Some remain so.

br-flag1.gif
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Cehua wrote:
    I have been called beautiful by strangers, family, friends, friend's parents, etc.

All of them say that I am beautiful because of my features, posture, and I have a certain sophistication with me/carry myself a certain way that is not seen too often. All of those people cannot be wrong, right? LOL

Do *I* consider myself beautiful?

When I look at myself I see the beauty of my mother and grandparents and because they are beautiful I feel that I am beautiful too.

Though I still personally wouldn't call myself beautiful, I can relate to everything you wrote. I too am often called beautiful, and I too see the beauty of my family members (and the beauty of God's creation) in me.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• j'adorej'adore Posts: 1,966Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wanted to add that I feel the most beautiful right now (being pregnant and all). People pass by me everyday and say "You look beautiful!"

That makes me feel just wonderful!
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
  • Swirlycurly ChemistSwirlycurly Chemist Posts: 335Registered Users
    I used to be good looking, but I voted ooooglleee now. I am old, chubby, pregnant, and my hair has been ruined by a bad haircut and possibly pregnancy.
    3A canopy with 3B underneath
    Low poo, not afraid of amine-based silicones or polyquats, silk proteins are good as well.
  • alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Posts: 619Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:
    Though I still personally wouldn't call myself beautiful

What is your definition of beauty? I think that is what it comes down to.

For me, beauty cannot be compartmentalized and does not belong to one group/look or another; there are all types of natural beauties.

For me there is Audrey Hepburn beauty and Sonia Braga (who I have been compared to) beauty. There are millions of other types of beauties too. IMO, the "classic" beauty is not the end all be all epitome of beauty.

When I lived in Brasil my aunts taught me to say "I know" instead of "thank you" when someone said that I was beautiful (I also heard that was a French thing). So, I grew up thinking I was beautiful too. And when I have children I will tell them the same thing.

J'adore and Swirlycurly: Nothing is more beautiful than a pregnant woman with a gorgeous belly.

ETA: Beauty is not relative; it just is. In other words, I do not think of my beauty in relation to someone else's looks or certain people's idea of beauty; I just am.
    We're all born mad. Some remain so.

br-flag1.gif
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I am old...

Dear god, I hear ya on this one. It's a terrible thing, watching it slip away....

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    Yes, there are many "classical [read, western] beauties" like Catherine Denueve, Ingrid Bergman and Isabella Rosellini. But there are beautiful women in every culture or mix thereof, including as exemplars, Gong Li, Iman, Salma Hayek and Thandie Newton.

I think the best beauties have a combination of physical and more internal attributes, like Susan Sarandon.

And then there are the more quirky, unconventional beauties like Holly Hunter, Katherine Hepburn and Debra Winger.

It's all in the eye of the beholder, most of the time.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Gretchen wrote:
    I am old...

Dear god, I hear ya on this one. It's a terrible thing, watching it slip away....
    :? C'mon! You're not that old. It's all in the attitude.:wink: Altho, the compliment that I got this w/e sure kicked butt. :lol:
    In fact, we might be neck & neck.

:shock: 8)
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Gretchen wrote:
    I am old...

:? C'mon! You're not that old. It's all in the attitude.:wink: Altho, the compliment that I got this w/e sure kicked butt. :lol:
    In fact, we might be neck & neck.

:shock: 8)

True. I don't feel old. But the sags, the bags.... :)

How nice you got a good compliment! And welcome back, btw. Sure is nice to see your login again!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • hayseedladyhayseedlady Posts: 646Registered Users
    I'm just plain, it's my hair that is always called beautiful. Even when I consider it a big old dandelion fluff.
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    I think real beauty is timeless. Tina Turner and Sophia Loren come to mind.
  • Pacific PoppyPacific Poppy Posts: 253Registered Users
    Swirlycurly Chemist, I felt that way too when I was pregnant and for a while after. But being pretty came back! I look 5 years younger than I did 3 years ago. My body just sort of slowly went back to place...

I wish I could say beautiful instead of pretty, but I only find it in my heart 10% of the time to be beautiful, good looking the rest, at best. I think in another 5 years I might be beautiful.
    3c, CG Fine hairs, med growth.
    Formerly "Rainyday"
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Like HSL, it's my hair that makes me stand out. I believe it's my best feature. I used to be called 'cute'. I hate that term. Puppies and babies are cute.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • slinky1slinky1 Banned Posts: 1,612Banned Users
    I'm undeniably ugly. There's no escaping it, even on my best day...and I'm not even fat or old yet.
    ;)
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    My mom tells me I am beautiful every day and my mom wouldn't lie to me!! :lol:
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    slinky1 wrote:
    I'm undeniably ugly. There's no escaping it, even on my best day...and I'm not even fat or old yet.

You always say that about yourself! STOP IT!!!!!!! :x I don't think ANYONE is undeniably ugly!

I know I'm really cute and I kinda get sick of being called cute all the time...I think I can have beautiful days.
  • FidoGwenFidoGwen Posts: 92Registered Users
    I'm cute! I don't mind being called cute because people always think I'm older than I am and "cute" makes me think that people think I'm closer to my actual age. Make sense?
    I just get tired of people thining I'm older. For years people have been offering me alcohol without ID. (I'm 20 and have never had alcohol in my life.)
    I'm a 2something/3something. Started modified CG routine on 6/6/05
    Cut more than ten inches from my BSL hair on 8-10-05 and growing it long again
    But we're STILL adjusting. ;-)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I do not think I am attractive at all....well I do have nice feet. I have always felt like I look trashy and not well put together. Maybe If I bought dressier clothes or something......hell I don't know WHAT would help besides $$$$$ in plastic surgery.

All that matters is that my kids love me! :wink:
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    I at one point thought I was ugly...but at that point my self esteem was pretty shot. But today I recognize that I am beautiful. I am told I am beautiful by my family, friends and strangers. I may not be what society deems "conventionally" beautiful...whatever that may be, but in my opinion, the beautiful thing about beauty is that it comes in all shapes, sizes, colors, gender, ages. How many times do we see different types of people walk down the street and think they are beautiful? :)
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    I can be beautiful, and I can be ugly. Thankfully, I am having more days where I am leaning toward the beautiful side. :D

Beauty is not a physical characteristic or quality, to me. Pretty, really pretty, is what I use to describe someone's outward appearance. Beautiful is the term I use to describe intrinsic qualities that just make me feel good, or like I am a better person or truly benefitted from having been in the presence of the person (or art, or song).

I do think it helps humans to see beauty in other people when they are physically attractive, but it is not always necessary, and the closer the person is to that inner goodness/peace/joy/love/patience/kindness/self-control/gentleness, the easier it is to see their beauty despite or enhanced by their physical attributes.

So, no, I am not a beautiful person yet. I still have too many imperfections in my character to consider myself so. I am happy, though, that I am getting closer to my ideal step by step (NOT day by day quite yet), and I can see that beauty in myself at times and others can recognize it in me, as well. The more I work out the ugliness within me, the more beauty others will see/feel/experience around me.
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    slinky1 wrote:

You always say that about yourself! STOP IT!!!!!!! :x I don't think ANYONE is undeniably ugly!

I know I'm really cute and I kinda get sick of being called cute all the time...I think I can have beautiful days.

I agree completely. I like more interesting looking people, unique qualities are sooooo much better than your average run of the mill "beauty". Just because you meet the "requirements" of the media standards, I think that there is so much more to it. Aside from that, you - from what I can tell here :wink: - are a very interesting person - that makes you so much more attractive in my book!
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file