Where my fitness gurus at?!

curlynikkicurlynikki Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
I need advice :compress:

Now that I've found an awesome protective style to wear, I'm even more motivated to begin some type of workout routine. Nothing too strenous...just enough to maintain my weight and improve my cardiovascular health. I figure, if I start a routine early in life, it'll be easier to continue down the road when my metabolism slows :sleepy3: I've already revamped my eating habits and I'm slowly improving in the water intake category, so this would be the last thing on my list.

I impulsively bought a space-saver treadmill today. I've been walking the neighborhood for the past week or so when I came to the realization that I'm much more into controlled temperatures, lol. I belong to a HOA that has a gym, but I hate gyms... so I decided I needed something I could do indoors, in my own house.

I used it today, on the fat burning mode...moderately fast (not jogging, just power-walking...i'm not a jogger) and walked 2 miles. If I do this 3 or 4 times a week, would that be enough for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Also, any tips on proper form or tennis shoes would be appreciated as well!

Thanx in advance!!!

Comments

• 1Joy1Joy Registered Users Posts: 356 Curl Neophyte
    Hey CurlyNikki
    Unfortunately I can't give you detailed info because I do paid seminars around the U.S. However, I am sure other fitness professionals will chime in and give you some great advice. I will give you kudos for focusing on the WHOLE lifestyle change (ie. fitness, eating, supplements etc). Continue with that mindset now (with having your wedding as your goal) and beyond. I will let you know that my favorite running shoes are NB, Saucony and Mizuno's. Dicks sporting goods and similiar shoe stores can evaluate your arch and other factors to determine your best shoe. Also take your old shoes into the store with you so they can see how you wear them down.
    My quote: Supercharge Your Superhuman w/my 4-part brain Activation System:
    Body, Mind, Emotions..oh and curls!
    http://www.Joythedetoxcoach.com

• ItsiRCItsiRC Registered Users Posts: 335
    hey nikki, what space saver treadmill did you buy? i've been thinking of buying one since i don't want to join the gym here b/c i don't know how long i'll be here and the workouts on exercise tv are getting old. thanks.
    I'm going to Mexico until this bills business blows over.

pw:master shake

.png
  • teshonteshon Registered Users Posts: 1,127
    Hey girl,

I wear Nike Shox, I believe. I saw them in an Essence mag. four years ago and I've been wearing'em every since. I thought the orange and silver combo was sooooo cute! I have other tennis shoes but these are my fave. You have to walk in style, but in your case you don't really have to worry about this. I feel you on the temperature changes but I walk in the rain and cold. I warm up once I get goin. It's more motivation for me to "just do it." I think if I had a treadmill at home, I would be least likely to exercise. Simply bc it's at my convenience and would be easier to dismiss. Anyway, I walk 3 1/2 miles 3X's per wk. and I think that is sufficient. I feel so much better since I started this routine. It's a keeper. I walk backwards part of the way. It tones the legs better than any other excercise I've ever done. I love it!
    3c-4a; Protein Sensitive(forms of wheat, keratin, soy and anything "hydrolyzed"). My hair hates coconut oil and jojoba oil(sometimes).
    http://photobucket.com/teshon PW: crazycurls
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/teshonandfamily
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Don't keep those running shoes for 4 years LOL. They wear down fairly fast (a year). I like ASICs because they are good for my foot. Every foot and need is different.

Here's a shoe finder at runnersworld
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
    ItsiRC wrote: »
    hey nikki, what space saver treadmill did you buy? i've been thinking of buying one since i don't want to join the gym here b/c i don't know how long i'll be here and the workouts on exercise tv are getting old. thanks.

Girl!!! Do you shop on craigslist.org? It's my fav website. I found a 6 month old Pro Form 7.5 space saving machine for a quarter of the price it's worth!!! It's an awesome machine!

As far as shoes, I NEVER buy or wear tennis shoes. But Nike Shox are cute :D I think I'll pick up a pair this weekend. Thanks for the tips ladies, keep 'em coming! :blob3:
  • ItsiRCItsiRC Registered Users Posts: 335
    Don't keep those running shoes for 4 years LOL. They wear down fairly fast (a year). I like ASICs because they are good for my foot. Every foot and need is different.

I like Asics too, i wear 2120. i also like new balance and nike, but asics are my favorite. I have to change shoes every 3-4 months.

i'll have to look at craigslist, i've found quite a few good finds there. off to browse now.
    I'm going to Mexico until this bills business blows over.

pw:master shake

.png
  • midgimidgi Registered Users Posts: 2,409 Curl Neophyte
    Fortunately for me, I live right next door to the gym I attend. I go three days a week (Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday) and workout for about 1.5 to 2 hours.

First I do some light stretching and get on the treadmill. I do a 5 minute warm up at a moderate pace and then I'll walk fast-paced (so fast that you're not running, but you still can't hold a conversation) on an incline for 30 minutes. A trainer once told me that I'll burn more calories that way, especially since I despise running.

Since you're at home, you could integrate some floor/mat exercises too like light weight lifting (I started with 5-10lbs weights), lunges, squats, leg-lifts, crunches, and push-ups and maybe even some meditation and yoga poses.

When I do floor exercises, I do 2 sets, 15 repetitions each, but you can do however many you can and build up from there. When I first started I could only do 5 leg-lifts and now I can do all 30 with no breaks in between.

Don't forget water and some good music! And one trick I've learned is to NEVER look at your time. I usually cover it up with a towel and once my treadmill cuts off by itself (I set the timer for 30 minutes) is when I know I'm done.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • teshonteshon Registered Users Posts: 1,127

I know my tennis shoes are trash bound but they would have to literally fall apart on my feet, while I'm walking on the track before I throw them out. lol. I still get lots of spring in my step! :walk:
    3c-4a; Protein Sensitive(forms of wheat, keratin, soy and anything "hydrolyzed"). My hair hates coconut oil and jojoba oil(sometimes).
    http://photobucket.com/teshon PW: crazycurls
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/teshonandfamily
  • maracasbeachmaracasbeach Registered Users Posts: 310
    Personally I am an outdoor activities and gym lover. I am in a few hiking groups as well as head to the gym at least 4 times per week. But if you want to work out at home, I would change up the settings sometimes on your treadmill to "interval" or "hill" and not only on the fat burner setting. Also great exercises that you can do at home are squats, lunges, push-ups, and plank. They work major muscles and really rev up your metabolism. I like nike footwear.
  • motherearthamothereartha Registered Users Posts: 355
    i'm an asics fan as well..speaking of treadmills my ironman motor just went kuput---conveniently a few months AFTER the warranty expired....so until i save some moolah i have a dead treadmill in the basement.:mad:

i've been told resistance training is just as if not more important than cardio...now i just have to will myself back on my regimen
    thick, kinky, nappy, hair w/ dashes of curls
    pw: bearhair
  • momo7momo7 Registered Users Posts: 478
    I think I saw someone mention NB (New Balance) sneakers. I second that. They are REALLY good!

Nikkie:

If you're just starting out Nikkie, I think (others may disagree) that you should start SLOWLYYYY!!!! Maybe about 3x (every other day/4x max) per week of about 30 min of cardio (then to 45min after a few weeks, then 1hr max). The heart can get a SHOCK if one who is just starting does an excessive amount of exercise. Also, doing it gradually will make it easier to stick to and will most likely not discourage you. (ie: one who is just starting does 1-2hrs of intense walking and feels burnt out....they feel tired for most of the week and misses their other routines of over exersion (if I spelled that right). This could discourage them and eventually they may give up) :coffee:

Alot of times when the body is strained...especially in lifting heavy weights (body builders) and running (long distance runners)...the heart can become enlarged over time. For me it's hereditary, but by the grace of God I don't have one. I've been working out since elementary school and even I had to chill on the heavy weights cause I was straining myself. My best strength (results last MUCH longer) is when I do more reps with smaller weights/my own body weight (2 or 3 sets of 20) like wall/floor pushups; crunches (a variety...bicycle..leg lifts, etc). When I do this I find that my muscles are leaner, stronger and more toned. :blob3:

Just listen to your body. It's good to start out with the small and increase as the body gets used to it all. You don't have to OVERDOSE in exercise to get more than wonderful results.

Anywayyyyz gurl, start out slow and most likely you'll feel good and not worn out after the workout. LISTEN to your body if you feel funny or out of breath or whatever. If you feel at times you need to slow down then do it. Don't beat yourself up if you may not do as well as you did on another day. ALWAYS keep that water at arms reach. OH YEAAAAAAHH....OMGGGGG Richard Simmons is EXCELLENT for the heart....guuuuuuurrrrrrrlll :walk:I remember doing Richard Simmons (especially Sweatin to the Oldies....the 4th one is my fav) when I was in the 1st grade!!!! Thank God they came out with the DVD cause my video tape is fried!!! But as any tape can get monotonous after a while, it's cool to balance with other cardio.

Teshon:

OKay, Teshon gurl, I tried the whole backwards thing and I LOVED LOVED LOVED it gurly!!!!! BUT....it sounds like my bike belt is gonna snap or something. :mad: My moms said she used to love workin out backwards til her other stationary bike broke, :(. How the heck do you walk outside backwards 8-O or did I read wrong, lol!!!!:laughing3:
  • preciousjewel76preciousjewel76 Registered Users Posts: 679 Curl Novice
    Congrats on your newfound fitness regimen!

As far as shoes, it is actually appropriate to wear good running shoes for walking. I would go to a running specialty store to have the people their help you pick out a good shoe. They will help you determine what type of shoe you need - stability shoe, arch support, extra cushioning, etc. They will typically examine your gait in the store to determine how your foot strikes the ground, which determines how your shoes will wear down over time. New Balance, Mizuno, and Nike are solid choices.

I happen to require a stability shoe because my foot "over-pronates", and I'm on my third pair of Nike Air Structure Triax (men's, believe it or not!). They work really well for me, and I'm also a walker. Or at least I was, until my recent foot injury!:angry7: I can't wait until my cast comes off so I can hit the treadmill again.
    4A - dense, medium strands - APL/BSL - 3+ years natural!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
    They work really well for me, and I'm also a walker. Or at least I was, until my recent foot injury!:angry7: I can't wait until my cast comes off so I can hit the treadmill again.

Omg what happened?
    Thank you ladies for the wonderful advice!!!!

I went to WF's today to exchange a hair product when I noticed a sporting goods store next door (obviously never seen it before). It's called Fleet Feet Sports. I went inside and the lady evaluated my feet...she made me walk around barefoot, she made marks on my foot using some device and finally told me that I needed a light stability shoe (and that my feet roll in a little when I walk). I ended up buying some expensive a$$ pair of shoes, but I guess it's a good investment.

As far as a routine, I'm going to stick to 3-4 workouts a week- 2 miles each time- walking briskly. I also plan to DT while I'm on the treadmill :D I hadn't even thought about incorporating other exercises into my day. I have a pair of 2 and 5lb weights, so I'll put them to use as well. I'm not a squatter, but I will begin some kinda routine to keep this stomach tight.

thanks again!!!
  • missmoniemissmonie Registered Users Posts: 920
    o.k. reading this thread has motivated me to start working on tightening up this post-baby belly. i'm going to commit to exercising twice a week and get me some good shoes!
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
    missmonie wrote: »
    o.k. reading this thread has motivated me to start working on tightening up this post-baby belly. i'm going to commit to exercising twice a week and get me some good shoes!

Sweet! Let's hold eachother to our commitments :) Do check in on me once a week, lol...it doesn't take much for me to fall off the wagon. I've started a routine before, but I always stop after a month or so.
  • motherearthamothereartha Registered Users Posts: 355
    i'm in!!! this is great. some of my girfriends and i have started a bringing sexy back 08 group. we're SUPPOSED to be putting money in a pool but i'm not so sure how that's going to go. this is just added support...i'm also visualizing my body 30 lbs lighter!!!

cn, we have 2 fleet feets in the washington d.c. area. it's a good store. what i usually do is go in, get fitted, check out what they have, and then go home and see if i can find the shoe online for less..i feel bad but then again i need to hold onto every penny..roadrunnershoes and ahhh i can't think of the other running website..but even zappos sometimes have more reasonable prices.
    thick, kinky, nappy, hair w/ dashes of curls
    pw: bearhair
    cn, we have 2 fleet feets in the washington d.c. area. it's a good store. what i usually do is go in, get fitted, check out what they have, and then go home and see if i can find the shoe online for less..i feel bad but then again i need to hold onto every penny..roadrunnershoes and ahhh i can't think of the other running website..but even zappos sometimes have more reasonable prices.

Yea, Zappos is really cool. www.eastbay.com has a very wide variety of fitness footwear as well.
    i'm in!!! this is great. some of my girfriends and i have started a bringing sexy back 08 group. we're SUPPOSED to be putting money in a pool but i'm not so sure how that's going to go. this is just added support...i'm also visualizing my body 30 lbs lighter!!!

Dammit! We'll I guess that'll be my one splurge (actually the second, lol, after the treadmill) for the month. I'll definitely check out Zappos next time...I completely forgot about them. I like that, "Bringing Sexy Back '08" :blob7: But you do know, that all of us NC girls are already sexy enough ;) Working out regularly will only hurt the game further!
    omg your new pics are AMAZING and your hair gets better and better. I'm having so much trouble with my hair right now. What have you been using lately? Although I like the results of sheamoisture, I always got flaky white stuff in my hair when I used it. Maybe I did it wrong. Also, I wish I could find cassia in stores or @ least cheaper somewhere else online. It's hat day 4 me 2morrow cuz my hair is busted.:sad8:
    Thanks lady!!! I'm still using the same stuff for my wash and go:

-Tigi MM to Co-wash (twice or three times a week...sometimes only once a week)
    -SheaMoisture Leave-in (work it in really well...I never have white flakes)
    -a TINY amount of Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic

But, lately, I've been wearing a bun to keep my ends protected. When I bun, I do and use the following:

-Tigi MM to co-wash (once a week)
    -SheaMoisture Leave-in and a little AOHSR on the ends
    - Seal with a grapeseed and sweet almond oil mix

I moisturize on the intervening days w/ AOHSR and the oils

I DT twice a week w/ out heat and I henna twice a month.

hth
  • preciousjewel76preciousjewel76 Registered Users Posts: 679 Curl Novice
    momo7 wrote: »
    They work really well for me, and I'm also a walker. Or at least I was, until my recent foot injury!:angry7: I can't wait until my cast comes off so I can hit the treadmill again.

Omg what happened?

I was in a car accident about a month ago. I was very blessed to only have a foot injury & a few other minor injuries! Hopefully the cast will come off in a couple of weeks.
    4A - dense, medium strands - APL/BSL - 3+ years natural!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
    curlynikki wrote: »

But, lately, I've been wearing a bun to keep my ends protected. When I bun, I do and use the following:

hth

Wow, you and some other curlies on here should open a school or sumthin. I feel so edumacated!!! :toothy7: Thank You CN...you're so helpful!!!! :blob7: I'm gonna give SheaMoisture another try (I might as well...I got a brand new bottle I never touched yet). So, OIL, that's something I noticed I NEVER use and seems to be what my hair is lacking!!! Luckily I have a brand new stash of sweet almond oil, the only thing I'm missing is grapeseed...is almond good alone?

Omg what happened?

I was in a car accident about a month ago. I was very blessed to only have a foot injury & a few other minor injuries! Hopefully the cast will come off in a couple of weeks.

OMGGG.....:occasion9:THANK GOD YOU'RE ALIVE!!! :occasion9: Yes you were very blessed. Still, I hope for you a speedy and well rested recovery. :compress:
    curlynikki wrote: »

hth

Wow, you and some other curlies on here should open a school or sumthin. I feel so edumacated!!! :toothy7: Thank You CN...you're so helpful!!!! :blob7: I'm gonna give SheaMoisture another try (I might as well...I got a brand new bottle I never touched yet). So, OIL, that's something I noticed I NEVER use and seems to be what my hair is lacking!!! Luckily I have a brand new stash of sweet almond oil, the only thing I'm missing is grapeseed...is almond good alone?

Both are great oils. I just happened to purchase grapeseed a day before I found the sweet almond...this is the only reason I use them together, lol. I can't pick just one of them :blob7: If you do a search on oils on nc.com, you'll see that there are a lot of curlies (of all textures) using grapeseed and sweet almond. They're both much lighter than EVOO, so I'm liking it.
    quote]

Both are great oils. I just happened to purchase grapeseed a day before I found the sweet almond...this is the only reason I use them together, lol. I can't pick just one of them :blob7: If you do a search on oils on nc.com, you'll see that there are a lot of curlies (of all textures) using grapeseed and sweet almond. They're both much lighter than EVOO, so I'm liking it.[/quote]

:compress:Thank you SOOO much gurl!!! :compress:
    No prob :) Glad I could help!
  • krwkrw Registered Users Posts: 87 Curl Neophyte
    Hey Nikki,

Congratulations on your new commitment to work out and stay in shape!

I work out regularly and my hubby is a personal trainer so it's just a way of life around here.

If your goal is to lose weight, the most important thing to know is the 80% rule - food contributes to 80% of your weight loss success. If you just clean up your diet alone you'll see results. The other 20% is a combination of cardio, resistance/weight training and genetics.

The three combined - diet, cardio and weights - are the winning combo.

With regards to cardio you should perform intense cardio 5-6 times a week, along with lifting heavy to tone your muscles if your goal is to lose weight.

By intense cardio I don't mean over extended yourself, but it should be a challenge for you, regardless to what level of fitness you are at currently, and you should break a sweat. Aim for 25-30 minutes of intense cardio. You can get away with 20 minutes of intervals because intervals get more done in less time - but it's challenging!

With regards to weight training, you should lift light with high repetitions - 12-15 per set. The key here is that at the end of each set you should be "feelin'" it and almost to the point of muscle fatigue. The way to know you're there is to ask yourself this simple question: "Could I have kept going?" If the answer is "yes", then your weights are too light. If the answer is "hell no" then you're right where you should be.

It is difficult to successfully lose fat and gain a significant amount muscle at the same time, the focus should be one or the other, but it is possible to gain some muscle definition while losing fat so don't skimp on the resistance training.

There is A LOT of information when it comes to fitness, but if you don't want to feel overwhelmed, stick with the basics of diet, cardio and weight training.

My favorite fitness magazine is Oxygen. They provide a lot of really good information that is easy to understand. I also recommend Body-for-LIFE - www.bodyforlife.com. They have an easy program to follow that works and you can get started no matter what level you're at. I have a blog on the website under "Jahid & Kitara Wilson". I don't post daily, but I do post regularly if you want to check out some of the fitness topics I write about.

Congrats again and let me know if you have any questions. If I don't know the answer I'll ask my hubby so I can make sure I'm giving you accurate info.

Good luck!

Kitara
  • foxycus02foxycus02 Registered Users Posts: 918
    Hey nikki,
    joining this post late. I'm a gym person too. I like attending the classes, it forces me to push myself harder and they're fun in a grueling sort of way. Some of the best exercises to maintain weight but keep you healthy and toned are Yoga and Pilates.

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg
    krw wrote: »
    Hey Nikki,

Congratulations on your new commitment to work out and stay in shape!

I work out regularly and my hubby is a personal trainer so it's just a way of life around here.

If your goal is to lose weight, the most important thing to know is the 80% rule - food contributes to 80% of your weight loss success. If you just clean up your diet alone you'll see results. The other 20% is a combination of cardio, resistance/weight training and genetics.

The three combined - diet, cardio and weights - are the winning combo.

With regards to cardio you should perform intense cardio 5-6 times a week, along with lifting heavy to tone your muscles if your goal is to lose weight.

By intense cardio I don't mean over extended yourself, but it should be a challenge for you, regardless to what level of fitness you are at currently, and you should break a sweat. Aim for 25-30 minutes of intense cardio. You can get away with 20 minutes of intervals because intervals get more done in less time - but it's challenging!

With regards to weight training, you should lift light with high repetitions - 12-15 per set. The key here is that at the end of each set you should be "feelin'" it and almost to the point of muscle fatigue. The way to know you're there is to ask yourself this simple question: "Could I have kept going?" If the answer is "yes", then your weights are too light. If the answer is "hell no" then you're right where you should be.

It is difficult to successfully lose fat and gain a significant amount muscle at the same time, the focus should be one or the other, but it is possible to gain some muscle definition while losing fat so don't skimp on the resistance training.

There is A LOT of information when it comes to fitness, but if you don't want to feel overwhelmed, stick with the basics of diet, cardio and weight training.

My favorite fitness magazine is Oxygen. They provide a lot of really good information that is easy to understand. I also recommend Body-for-LIFE - www.bodyforlife.com. They have an easy program to follow that works and you can get started no matter what level you're at. I have a blog on the website under "Jahid & Kitara Wilson". I don't post daily, but I do post regularly if you want to check out some of the fitness topics I write about.

Congrats again and let me know if you have any questions. If I don't know the answer I'll ask my hubby so I can make sure I'm giving you accurate info.

Good luck!

Kitara

WOW! Thanks Kitara :toothy7:
    What wonderful information! And how lucky are you. It must be awesome living with a personal trainer :blob7: I'm sure you guys keep eachother motivated.

My major goal is weight maintenance (I could stand to gain a few pounds of muscle...i'm 102 now, but I'd like to be at 110ish). I want toned arms (are 5lb weights enough?) and would kill for a six-pack. I'm not into crunches...is there any other way, lol?! Also, my legs are ridiculously skinny (always have been...i hate them!) and I'd like to incorporate something to bulk them up a bit.

I walked the neighborhood today and I think next week, I'll incorporate my free weights. Foxy, I'm very interested in yoga, and my hoa has classes at the gym three times a week, but I'm too lazy to go. I need to look into that further.

I've totally revamped my eating, but I still find myself CRAVING McDonalds and BK. It's really sad, because I know that stuff is horrible... I guess its the crack they put in it. I've upped my fruits and veggies and found that if you try to get in your daily allotment of the good stuff, you don't really have the time, or the appetite to eat the not so good stuff. My major problem is that my fiance brings home fast food all the time, and its hard to eat grilled salmon when he's having a cheeseburger. I've read that it takes 21 days to learn a good habit, and I'm hoping that eating well and working out for a month (and getting a set routine) will make it like second nature. For the past month or so, I've done a good job at shopping the perimeter of the grocery store...fruits, veggies, meat, dairy, etc.) and it has worked out great. I feel better when I eat healthy and I think I sleep better too.

I've also become very interested in all things anti-aging, as far as my skin is concerned. I don't wear foundation, just the occasional eyeliner and lip gloss. I use Aubrey Organics SeaBuckthorn moisturizer every morning and every night and use sunscreen when I'm out and about. I wear huge, dark sunglasses even when there's an overcast, to prevent squinting, which eventually leads to wrinkles.

My fiance said that I've turned into a health/fitness/beauty fanatic, and maybe I have, but I think he'll appreciate it 10 years from now :D

Kitara, if you could, can you help me work out a week long exercise plan, incorporating my treadmill, free weights and anything else I need to do to accomplish my goals (I hate crunches!!!). Like I said, I'm not trying to lose, just maintain and gain muscle.

THANKS!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file