Good (portable) foods for 1 year old

SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
My son is at daycare, where they don't cook meals or have a microwave, and I think he's ready to get away from having so much "baby food" during the day. I've been buying jarred food because it's easy to pack and serve at daycare.

He's starting to do more finger foods (loves cheerios, baby goldfish, small bits of fruit) but I'm struggling with other "lunches" that I can pack for him. He doesn't seem to like straight meat yet (small thin bit of chicken, ham) he just spits it out. I can try some of the graduates meals, but those get pricey, and most leftovers would be best served warm.

Any suggestions?
Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.

Comments

• M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Cut up hard boiled egg, or scrambled egg, maybe some avocado, pasta (small elbow or macaroni noodles - you don't need sauce on them or anything), it gets messy, but maybe brown rice? I was also thinking something like cooled green peas or green beans cut into smaller pieces.

Have you seen the jarred Gerber graduates? They have tiny chunks of pear, apple, carrots, peas, etc. You can do the same thing, but get a bag of frozen carrots and peas,and just over cook them slightly, so they are soft enough. Same thing, but LOTS cheaper.
    :rambo:
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    hummus (or pureed chick or white beans w/ a little bit of salt & garlic & parsley)
    avocado
    brown rice
    hello.world.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    Those Gerber Graduates meals are sooooo high in sodium.

Cooked vegetables (the frozen mixed variety are the perfect size for their fingers)
    Cut up fruit
    Cut up bagel or toast
    crackers
    cheese
    cut up pizza (DS's favourite - cold or warm, and one the only ways I can get him to eat meat)
    homemade granola bars
    pasta (DS likes whole wheat fussili the best)

I have to prepare one snack and lunch for DS at daycare. His lunch usually consists of cut up left overs from the previous night's supper and some fruit. His snack will be more fruit and a fibre or whole grain snack. I also send him with a sippy full of homo milk and they provide milk throughout the day.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    • Smooshed cheese sandwich on soft bread, cut into bite-size pieces
    • Any cut up fruit or veggie...my little ones used to love tomato pieces
    • cooked beans
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    River is 9 months but he likes grown up food better than most babvy food. He eats:cut up bananas, pears, avacados, pasta, apple, cooked carrots, green beans & looooooooooooves toast.
    (Please don't slam me- I know babies are supposed to need only milk/formula until they are one or whatever but we do food too at my house.)
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    shelli wrote: »
    River is 9 months but he likes grown up food better than most babvy food. He eats:cut up bananas, pears, avacados, pasta, apple, cooked carrots, green beans & looooooooooooves toast.
    (Please don't slam me- I know babies are supposed to need only milk/formula until they are one or whatever but we do food too at my house.)
    same here. majerle loves big people food. we bought her her own bunch of mini bananas which was too cute.

spider-could you do couscous?
    Oh and I forgot to add Pinto Beans. not too many of them though b/c I don't want him to get gassy. Just a few off my plate.

We use these: 29yqc0g.jpg

The lids stay on nicely and they hold a good amount of food and snacks. They were really handy on our trip back to the states.

• Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    string cheese
    fruit bars
    pretzels
    cereal
    gold fish crackers or pretzels
    grapes (cut into halves or quarters)
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Great ideas ladies, thanks. And yes Shelli, we do have some bowls like that (not sure where the lids are LOL) as well as I wash out the retangular Gerber plastic containers.

Many of these he's never tried or I'm not sure he could "chew" well, but we'll practice under close supersvision at home and start using more choices next week.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    I used cheesesticks cut into little bits, they are very portable, a good source of protein and just the right size. Raisins were also a big hit. I also sent the Lil Milks (like a juice box only they are milk) in 2%, they do get expensive, but don't leak and are shelf stable. I know that BJs sells Horizon Milk boxes, but the ones near me are vanilla flavored and contain a lot of sugar.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    Spider wrote: »
    Great ideas ladies, thanks. And yes Shelli, we do have some bowls like that (not sure where the lids are LOL) as well as I wash out the retangular Gerber plastic containers.

Many of these he's never tried or I'm not sure he could "chew" well, but we'll practice under close supersvision at home and start using more choices next week.

It's really surprising how much they really can do. Even if your son may not have a lot of teeth, they actually do a lot of chewing and mashing with their tongue. They use their tongue to push and mash food against the sides and top of their mouths. Honestly - watch him when he eats...it's very very cool.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    Spider wrote: »

It's really surprising how much they really can do. Even if your son may not have a lot of teeth, they actually do a lot of chewing and mashing with their tongue. They use their tongue to push and mash food against the sides and top of their mouths. Honestly - watch him when he eats...it's very very cool.

oh yes! majerle has no teeth but can eat/has eatten most of the foods listed.
  • Scuba GalScuba Gal Posts: 383Registered Users
    Lunchable juniors! We use those a lot when we are out and about, the turkey is cut into really small cubes and I just rip the cheese into smaller pieces.
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    edemame's a good one too
    animal crackers
    or graham sticks
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just discovered this weekend that DS is getting his top canines in, but the two top front teeth havent come in yet. I started calling him Baby Dracula.:laughing7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file