Nausea meds for two year olds?

DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Does such a thing exist? If not, any home remedies to help soothe his tummy? He has had two instances of vomiting in the last week. It lasted for about 6 hours the last time and about 2 the most recent. I know something is going around because I ended up with it too. He doesn't seem incredibly miserable but I can't get him to understand that he has to run quickly to the bathroom when he feels the urge. Or at least lean over into his little potty in his room. The only time he really seems to be bothered is when he is actually trying to vomit.

If it happens again, should I just ride it out so he can get out what is hurting him or can I do something to help him? I am especially worried since we moved his surgery to next week since we were both sick last week. It would suck to be trying to recover and in pain and vomiting too.
image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    DarkAngel wrote: »
    Does such a thing exist? If not, any home remedies to help soothe his tummy? He has had two instances of vomiting in the last week. It lasted for about 6 hours the last time and about 2 the most recent. I know something is going around because I ended up with it too. He doesn't seem incredibly miserable but I can't get him to understand that he has to run quickly to the bathroom when he feels the urge. Or at least lean over into his little potty in his room. The only time he really seems to be bothered is when he is actually trying to vomit.

If it happens again, should I just ride it out so he can get out what is hurting him or can I do something to help him? I am especially worried since we moved his surgery to next week since we were both sick last week. It would suck to be trying to recover and in pain and vomiting too.

Check with your doctor, of course, but anti-vomitting and anti-diarrheal meds are usually not a good idea to give to children (or adults either if the occurance is relatively mild). The old adage: better out than in, certainly rings true. The body's response to poison (and a lot of intestinal illnesses are indeed poisonous) is to get it out. It's not always true, like if someone is nauseas from something non-pathological, then stopping the N/V is OK to do. Or, if the child is getting dehydrated from extended vomitting or diarrhea, then stopping it is better than not stopping it. But, if he has bad stuff in there, it's usually better to get it out, rather than to let it sit in there and fester. Two incidences of 6 hour duration vomitting doesn't sound (to me) like something should be done to stop it. I'd just let him carry around a basin with him, just in case.

Just an aside, but in some of the e-coli outbreaks that have occurred in recent years, the children who died were the ones whose parents gave them immodium to stop diarrhea and kept that bad stuff inside them to cause serious damage.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    agree with RCW. However, there are still some things you can do to ease his discomfort.

I've found that a very warm large rice sock is good to ease the cramping that comes along with any intestinal discomfort. Ian now asks for it the minute he's not feeling well as he finds it soothing. Once the first several hours of him vomitting have passed you can give him chamomile tea with ginger. Also in the naturally healthy babies book she has a homemade electrolyte replacement drink recipe for those extended bouts of tummy bugs.

eta: for the rice sock you can just fill an old pillow case with about 6-8 cups of raw rice and tie a knot at the top. Nuke it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes at a time.

And if Xander isn't big on tea make it as usual then splash in a bit of apple juice (literally just a splash).
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    awwww...poor Xander.

Just do your best to keep him hydrated and give him lots of cuddles.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    These are the answers I expected. Thanks you for the tips, Marielle and RCW. I talked to his doctor and he said that I can give him some pepto if I think it is necessary but that he would rather everything be out than in.

My main concern is that after his omphocele (hernia on steroids) repair it will be extra painful to vomit because of the abdominal strain. I will just mention my concerns to his surgeon when I see her next.

Curly_keltie, he won't snuggle with me anymore. :( He is too manly now.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Poor Xander
    There is something going around. It's virulent in our area. Kennedy had a really bad cough on top of the flu and turns out, she had pneumonia. She had a flu shot but still got it...what's up with that?

Keep comforting him and give him a kiss for me.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    DarkAngel - my DS is such a cuddly suck when he is sick. He spent that last week sick with...something...and all he wanted to do was cuddle.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file