Praise for Lorraine Masseys brown sugar scrub

I have been curly girl for nearly two weeks. I was about to give up because my hair was yuck - but then i used conditioner and brown sugar scrub then conditioned.....

talk about shine.....clean scalp, non smelly hair, volume and perfectly coiled curls!

I'll keep trying CG!!
pw: curls

Comments

• CalamityMCalamityM Curl Novice Posts: 541Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yay! I am glad that you found something that worked for you. I am gathering together a list of products that I can mix with conditioner, to use to clean my scalp instead of shampoo. I have heard many people talk about the brown sugar scrub, so it's great that it really does work! It's on my list of things to try out! :)
  • jillipoojillipoo Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Great! Several of the recipes in the Curly Girl book are really wonderful (some are not!). Whattacurl Wants, the brown sugar scrub, and Lemon Aid are my favorites. They do for hair what many higher-priced products claim they will do (and often don't).
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Every time I see this thread I really want to do one. I've only been clarifying right before hennaing and I'm afraid of abrading my scalp and then it taking a tattoo, lol.
  • jillipoojillipoo Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    Every time I see this thread I really want to do one. I've only been clarifying right before hennaing and I'm afraid of abrading my scalp and then it taking a tattoo, lol.

Ha ha! That would be pretty funny. :laughing7:

But really, the brown sugar melts a bit once it hits the conditioner, so the abrasive effects are very mild. In fact, I've found I need to scrub sooner rather than later once I mix up the potion because otherwise, I won't get the friction I want.

Somebody here mentioned that they use turbinado sugar, and I think that's brilliant. I will probably use that in the future!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • growingitlonggrowingitlong Posts: 122Registered Users
    Glad to hear that it worked for you. I plan on trying this for the first time tonight.
  • CurlyBrunetteGirlCurlyBrunetteGirl Posts: 83Registered Users
    Isn't it great? I used it a few hours ago, and my scalp has finally stopped itching, plus my hair is all soft and smells delicious.
  • pinkwolfpinkwolf Curl Novice Posts: 430Registered Users Curl Novice
    I do this as well for when I get build-up on my scalp. I add brown sugar to my Nexxus Phyto Organics Humectin.
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
    If you ran out of brown sugar, I can confirm that white works too. :)

Brown is probably better. If you have molasses you can "make" brown sugar by adding the molasses to the white.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I normally don't need anything like this, but when I get sick my scalp gets gross. The oil it produces gets more greasy, and my scalp feels all built up, so I may have to try this.

I still shudder at the lemon aid! I know it's great for some people, but my hair HATES lemon juice! It is just too harsh for it. However, my hair loves ACV, which is too harsh for others. It's great that we have so many different suggestions to try so we can figure out what works for us! :)
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
    I'm right there with you on the vinegar love and lemon juice hate. No idea why, it just is. I'm sure that some folks are probably the opposite.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Curl Connoisseur Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have used lime juice as well with the same effects of lemon. Just an FYI.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • curlydanicurlydani Posts: 45Registered Users
    Newbie here!
    So do you just add the brown sugar to your conditioner while your in the shower? to the roots or all of the hair? How long do you leave it in for?
    3B/Cish- thick, just above shoulders

Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50 Balanced
    Conditioner:Suave Daily Clarifying Conditioner
    Leave-In: still looking...
    Styler: KCCC

event.png
    Yes, you add it to conditioner. You put it on the roots and scrub to exfoliate the scalp. You rinse it out after you're done scrubbing with it.

Sometimes it melts before I scrub as much as I want, then I have to do another serving of it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file