RedCatWaves, need your opinion

hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
RCW, I need your opinion on a skin issue that my mother has had for a while. My mom has always taken care of her skin, always used sunscreen, ie. Her skin is soft and supple, no blotches (my roseacea did not come from her) with very few wrinkles. The problem is that she gets these small cysts under her skin. She can feel them with her fingertips. The derm. just said..."Yes, I see that. We can pick them out." Do you have any ideas of what she can/should use to help get these things to come off more quickly. My guess is that her skin needs to slough off more quickly to get them to the top, but I am not sure.

Anyone else, feel free to add your experiences as well.
Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hopetocurl wrote: »
    RCW, I need your opinion on a skin issue that my mother has had for a while. My mom has always taken care of her skin, always used sunscreen, ie. Her skin is soft and supple, no blotches (my roseacea did not come from her) with very few wrinkles. The problem is that she gets these small cysts under her skin. She can feel them with her fingertips. The derm. just said..."Yes, I see that. We can pick them out." Do you have any ideas of what she can/should use to help get these things to come off more quickly. My guess is that her skin needs to slough off more quickly to get them to the top, but I am not sure.

Anyone else, feel free to add your experiences as well.

That's called milia, and it's a b1tch-and-a-half to get rid, of especially when they're in the eye area...often impossible I'm afraid. It can be caused by sun damage and just genetics, but it's often exacerbated by prolonged use of heavy eye creams. They're basically sebacious cysts clogging the pores. The problem in the eye area is that the skin there is already so thin that exfoliation doesn't work well. The derm wasn't kidding when he said they could "pick them out", because that's probably what she'll have to do...but she should be VERY wary of that treatment because it might cause scarring. The delicate eye area is nothing to trifle with.

If she's using heavy eye creams, she should stop, and start using something lighter, like HA alone or HA/emu. Some of the milia might clear and heal themselves once she stops using heavy creams, although probably not all of it. Acids and lasers apparently don't help, but Retin-A can help minimally.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    What if it is not in the eye area...it's really more forehead and chin...occasionally a cheek. I guessed that it was clogged pores... how should we address the forehead/chin/cheek area?

She is a creamy cleanser type of gal...would switching to something else be better. Make a product recommendation if you can... she'll try ANYTHING.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hopetocurl wrote: »
    What if it is not in the eye area...it's really more forehead and chin...occasionally a cheek. I guessed that it was clogged pores... how should we address the forehead/chin/cheek area?

She is a creamy cleanser type of gal...would switching to something else be better. Make a product recommendation if you can... she'll try ANYTHING.

Oh good. It's actually better if the milia isn't in the eye area, because they can be surgically picked out without as much risk of scarring. Still, though, the only things that work for milia are manual extraction and, to a lesser extent, Retin-A.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file