Routine recommendations please

LilyWavesLilyWaves Posts: 224Registered Users
I've been reading these posts and there's a lot about the wheat germ cleanser, BHA, HA, and Vitamin C, but I'm not sure if these would work well for my skin type or how I should use them. I'd like to get into a routine because I'm tired of dermatologists prescribing the same crap that simply does not work or is clearing my acne but causing other skin problems. I have mild acne and occasionally get a really inflamed bump (cyst?) that takes forever to heal. I'm 24 and I'm ready to have consistenly clear skin...but aren't we all? Anyway, any help will be appreciated.

The Rx meds I've tried: Benzaclin, Retin-A Micro, Differin, Sulfacet, Klaron, and oral antibiotics.

Within the past five years, I've used the Benzaclin and Retin-A the most. I had great results with Benzaclin for many years, but recently, it hasn't been doing much for me and I'd like to get away from it since I read that bp oxidizes the skin causing pre-mature aging. I was fortunate that this didn't dry out my skin too badly. My skin was smoother when I used Retin-A, but it didn't seem to do much about acne.

My routine now:
am
cleanse with oatmeal or tea tree soap
apply jojoba oil (cleared up acne for a while, but now only works to decrease oil production)
mineral makeup

pm
cleanse with oatmeal or tea tree soap
apply either 5% bp cream or MaMa lotion
Shea butter around eyes

I have this Cellex-C Clear Complexion Complex that I use as a toner occasionally. I really can't tell any difference when I use it for long periods and when I don't use it at all.

Sorry this is so long, but any suggestions?
2b
conditioner - AOHR
shampoo - Beauty Without Cruelty Rosemary Mint Tea Tree
styling products - KCCC, BRHG, Boots Curl Creme, Re:coil

Comments

• memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    I struggled with minor breakouts and skin that seemed to react to everything for years and years. The more products I used the worse things seemed to get. I finally decided to start fresh by finding a mild cleanser that didn't destroy the skin barrier and to simplify my routine as far as possible. That worked incredbily well for me and, now, years later, I have mostly normal skin and am able to use treatment products that would have raised havoc in the past. Sooo...my suggestion would be to try the PSF Cleanser that has been talked about here and the PSF BHA gel twice a day. I'd try doing only that for awhile, adding a little HA or jojoba oil if you need it. If that seems to be calming things down you can consider adding a vitamin C serum during the day and a retinol or retin a product at night. Just add things slowly so you can get a feel for what agrees with your skin and what doesn't.

Just my two cents,

M
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree about changing your cleanser. Switching to a non-detergent pH-neutral cleanser can do wonders, and it will enable your skin to better handle Rx treatments like Retin-A without irritation. I don't know what the "oatmeal and tea tree soaps" are that you are currently using, but any "soap" is going to have a high pH that is going to be just as skin barrier damaging as detergents. Get your skin barrier in shape, get a good quality BHA to help exfoliate and clear pores, moisturize as needed with biological healing oils (like jojoba or emu) and you'll probably see an improvement.

The shea butter around your eyes might be a little heavy. Using heavy moisturizers in the eye area can lead to milia, which is tiny little pimples, which once you have them, you can never get rid of them. Use only light moisturizers on the eyes. Jojoba is good.
  • LilyWavesLilyWaves Posts: 224Registered Users
    Thanks memes and RCW for the suggestions. Since I posted, I continued to read other threads where HA is recommended to mix with jojoba. Do you think that is necessary if my skin isn't very dry? I have maybe a little dryness in my cheeks, but other than than, the jojoba oil seems to be working well.

Also, I have some Benzaclin waiting on me at the pharmacy...I was getting a little desperate...should I just start with a new cleanser and the BHA for now then pick up an RX if needed after I've tried this for a couple of months?

Thanks again!
    2b
    conditioner - AOHR
    HA is a very light moisturizer on it's own, or it can be mixed with jojoba to help the jojoba sink in better. You don't have to use it though if you like the finish of the jojoba on it's own.

I've never had much luck with BP products, but if you have, then, by all means, use it.
  • LilyWavesLilyWaves Posts: 224Registered Users
    Well, I placed my order with PSF for the Castile cleanser, BHA 2%, and a sample of HA just to see how it works out. I'm still on the fence out picking up the BP, because I don't want to continue damaging my skin with it. Wondering if maybe I should give the Retin-A another try since it will prevent premature aging instead of encouraging it...hmm..

Thanks RCW for replying so quickly...I didn't realize how high in demand you are around here until I started reading through this forum! haha
    2b
    conditioner - AOHR
    BrandyC wrote: »
    Well, I placed my order with PSF for the Castile cleanser, BHA 2%, and a sample of HA just to see how it works out. I'm still on the fence out picking up the BP, because I don't want to continue damaging my skin with it. Wondering if maybe I should give the Retin-A another try since it will prevent premature aging instead of encouraging it...hmm..

Thanks RCW for replying so quickly...I didn't realize how high in demand you are around here until I started reading through this forum! haha

You might find that Retin-A works better for you when you aren't using detergent or caustic cleansers.

I try not to be too bossy about this skincare stuff. It's really just a passion of mine, not something that I'm an expert in or that I'm getting paid for. Having sufferred for so many years with bad skin myself, and knowing how debilitating it is, I really just want everyone to have the benefit of having clear skin. The cosmetic industry lies to us so dreadfully and sells us such crap products, it's no wonder so many people suffer with bad skin. If I've helped a few people, that makes me very happy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file