cheap but good

love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
Suave conditioners belong in this category. VO5 condish too.

White rain energizing citrus conditioner is also surprisingly good - and only $1 for a huge bottle.

What are your favorite cheap but good conditioners and stylers?
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)

Comments

• extremecurlextremecurl Registered Users Posts: 13
    Don't know your defintion of cheap, but I would include the wonderful Aura Hypoallergenic Gel - when I can find it, that is. In NYC I've found one chain (Ricky's) that carries it, but not not all of them do all of the time. Even places that generally carry the Aura line don't seem to have this one. Rats.

I tried the VO5 Natural Oasis Honey Almond conditioner; while it's not quite as moisturizing as my favorite ones, I'd definitely buy it again if price was the first criteria. And my favorite shampoos are Nature's Gate, which are pretty cheap at health food stores.

-A lurking 3C
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
    Don't know your defintion of cheap, but I would include the wonderful Aura Hypoallergenic Gel - when I can find it, that is. In NYC I've found one chain (Ricky's) that carries it, but not not all of them do all of the time. Even places that generally carry the Aura line don't seem to have this one. Rats.

I tried the VO5 Natural Oasis Honey Almond conditioner; while it's not quite as moisturizing as my favorite ones, I'd definitely buy it again if price was the first criteria. And my favorite shampoos are Nature's Gate, which are pretty cheap at health food stores.

-A lurking 3C

Hey there! It's nice to see you posting instead of lurking :wink: The Aura sounds lovely and I've never tried it, believe it or not...... 8)

I guess there is cheap and then there is DIRT CHEAP. Suave, vo5 and White Rain are probably all in the dirt cheap category. I mean the White rain condish is $1 for 16 oz :shock:

Fantasia IC gel with sparklelites is good value for the amount you get... I think that a lot of the ORS products are good value too!
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."

• PokahontasPokahontas Registered Users Posts: 184
    Daily Defense Tender Apple conditioner!! I am sold on this conditioner. I just bought 4 bottles for co washes. It's only 89 cents but it's been discontinued. :cry: :x

Suave 2 minute conditioner.
    Daily Defense Tender Apple conditioner!! I am sold on this conditioner. I just bought 4 bottles for co washes. It's only 89 cents but it's been discontinued. :cry: :x

Oh Wow!....sorry for triple post :oops:
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Can someone tell me about this Sparkelites gel -- does it have glitter in it or something? What makes it so good? Where do you buy it?

What about ORS? Where do you buy that? thnx

Just tried Suave Humectant co (rec's by urbancurl), and it is GREAT! Well, I used it once, and it was great. I'll have to try it a few more times to come to a definite conclusion. It's just one notch below One C...and to me, those are pretty big shoes to fill! It is really good! It cost $1.27 at Target.

Can someone tell me about this Sparkelites gel -- does it have glitter in it or something? What makes it so good? Where do you buy it?

Fantasia IC w/sparkelites is awsome gel for me! It's kinda thick but good. Not sure what the sparkelites but I know it makes my hair sparkle. It's not glitter, the only thing I notice is it has little pieces of something in it but it's clear :? . I don't think I will ever buy another gel though. Got mine from Rite Aid.
    Pokahontas wrote:

Fantasia IC w/sparkelites is awsome gel for me! It's kinda thick but good. Not sure what the sparkelites but I know it makes my hair sparkle. It's not glitter, the only thing I notice is it has little pieces of something in it but it's clear :? . I don't think I will ever buy another gel though. Got mine from Rite Aid.

I agree with this! I definitely dilute this gel with some water when applying to damp hair because of the thickness factor. It is heavy, with great hold and I find it to provide moisture, especially when I rotate it with other gels. It is clear with some stuff in it that doesnt' seem to come out in your hair..... I think the "sparklelites" is just marketing hype 8)

Pokahontas wrote:

Ok, WHY do they always have to discontinue good stuff?? :cry:

I would try the Suave 2 minute condish. Thanks!

• smallpeassmallpeas Registered Users Posts: 162
    Don't know your defintion of cheap, but I would include the wonderful Aura Hypoallergenic Gel.
    I second the Aura Hypo-allergenic Gel, if you don't have problems with glycerin. (I think it's $5-6.)

I also like Salon Selectives Control[d] Substance Molding Putty for smoothing down halo frizz and flyaways (on dry hair). It doesn't build up. It's about $2-3.

Curltopia wrote:
    Pokahontas wrote:

Ok, WHY do they always have to discontinue good stuff?? :cry:

I would try the Suave 2 minute condish. Thanks!

I know, it's so sad. There are so many rave reviews of DDTA it's not even funny. I have no idea why they cancelled it. I've heard of peeps running out to get like 15 bottles of this stuff! It can still be found at Big Lots though. I've heard Herbal Essence is made by the same company and is very similar to DDTA. I haven't used HE in years though.

The Suave 2 minute recovery is great to co wash with also. It smells a lot like Dove, which I love also.
  • emtlulu2269emtlulu2269 Registered Users Posts: 23
    Hey, someone in Dunkin' Donuts this morning asked how I got such shiny curls, nice curl formation.. I use IC Fantasia products actually, even the hair "polish" as they call it. I mix it with, get this.. John Freida Frizz-Ease mousse. Yes, I know this is a big NO NO but I get such good results. I will post a more recent pic to show...Anyone us these "budget" products also?

:P
    Modified CG since 7/05
    3B/3A. IC Fantasia and Ouidad Products
    Trying to grow out again!

"Don't let the past control your future!"
  • cjccjc Registered Users Posts: 636
    I posted this on another thread..I love Smooth'N Shine Polishing Moisture Rich Conditioner. It has alot of slip and its about $3. Its great for thick hair.
    cjc
    3B very thick, curly hair and on the longer side
    Palm Beach County, Fl
    Hey, someone in Dunkin' Donuts this morning asked how I got such shiny curls, nice curl formation.. I use IC Fantasia products actually, even the hair "polish" as they call it. I mix it with, get this.. John Freida Frizz-Ease mousse. Yes, I know this is a big NO NO but I get such good results. I will post a more recent pic to show...Anyone us these "budget" products also?

:P

I use Fantasia IC and I just love that stuff!! It's the best gel I've ever used. I don't have to worry about buying any other gels cuz I'm hooked on this one. It has such a great shine and holds curls very well without getting crunchy or hard. I've never tried the polish though but that will be my next purchase.
    cjc wrote:
    I posted this on another thread..I love Smooth'N Shine Polishing Moisture Rich Conditioner. It has alot of slip and its about $3. Its great for thick hair.

I might try that. I love things with a lot of slip. Good price.
    anicetta wrote:
    Don't know your defintion of cheap, but I would include the wonderful Aura Hypoallergenic Gel.
    I second the Aura Hypo-allergenic Gel, if you don't have problems with glycerin. (I think it's $5-6.)

I also like Salon Selectives Control[d] Substance Molding Putty for smoothing down halo frizz and flyaways (on dry hair). It doesn't build up. It's about $2-3.

These sound good!

I am adding Garnier Fructis Soft Curl Creme to this list :D My raves based on first time use are on threads by Brazilian curls on this board and Kandesnb on the 3c board. I will post more raves here after using it for a while longer...

What are more cheap-but-goods? After the holidays we are all going to need to start counting our pocket change 8)

• AnaxandriaAnaxandria Registered Users Posts: 6
    Aussie hair insurance leave in, its very nice. But the smell is a bit annoying.
    Aloe vera gel is veery cheap. Carrot Cholesterol. Herbal Essences humidity defying gel. Pantene relaxed and natural conditioner. Aussie volumizing foam + leave in conditioner. Any of the Trader Joes conditioners and shampoos. Biotera gel from Sallys. I'm sucha product junkie.
  • ColochaColocha Registered Users Posts: 344

No, it doesn´t have glitter--I read in another thread that it´s a silicone (water soluble) that has in it. So, instead of silicone-gel, it´s called sparklite-gel! :lol: (I think Shygirl said this)ç

i´ve used this gel and didn´t make much difference to me.
    "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 18:21

Hair type: 3b/c
    There is a new Sparklelites gel for color treated hair (colored blue, also in a jar). It is inexpensive and Shyygirl and some other curlies on the 3c board seem to love it.

I am still LOVING the Garnier Fructis Soft Curl Cream - I use it over a leave-in as a substitute for gel, and it is moisturizing and provides soft, touchable, lasting hold. Also, it is dirt cheap.

• PortaePortae Registered Users Posts: 337
    Fantasia gel is the best! I also love the Sally's knockoff of Paul Mitchell's The Conditioner.
    ~Break the Chains of Your Mind and Your Body will Follow~

3b/3c/4a
    http://public.fotki.com/Portae99/
    http://photos.yahoo.com/Portae_99
  • ColochaColocha Registered Users Posts: 344
    Hey, I buy a kilo (2,5 lbs) of flaxseeds for one dollar and I make gel out of it! Not only this, but also a nice hot flax seed tea goes well for the stomach. Talking about dirt cheap and healthy!
    "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 18:21

Hair type: 3b/c
    I really want to try that soft curl creme. I've heard great reviews on it. Some other cheap products that I like are:

Finesse conditioner

FOTE aloe vera gel

Dove shampoo and condish

Africa's Best liquid hair mayonaise- I like this product because of the great slip it has.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file