Shopping for maternity clothes

iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
I do not need them yet but since I love to shop, I've been thinking about this and I have a few questions.

How many different sizes did you have to buy of maternity clothes, especially tops? Where did you buy most of your maternity clothes? Did you buy things in anticipation of fitting into them later, or did you wait until you were pretty much outgrowing your current clothes?

Since I'm petite, I am wondering if I can get away with buying regular women's clothes in larger sizes, at least until I get a huge belly. Especially because high waisted, flowy tops are in right now.

Petite curlies, did you have trouble finding clothes that fit right during your pregnancy?
3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Comments

• MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    Petite curly here - I found that maternity clothes still fit me better than normal clothes, although I bought a regular med coat (instead of a smaller size) in anticipation of getting bigger.
    I bought my clothes mostly at Old Navy and Motherhood. I basically had two rounds of clothes-buying. One when I first started to show, but didn't really need them so much because I just wore some of my larger regular clothes - those mat clothes lasted me through most of the pregnancy. Another smaller purchase around 32 weeks ('m guessing) when I had little from the beginning that still fit. That was for pants, not really shirts.
    I know Pixie had luck with the Gap for small maternity sizes (0s, 2s).
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    My friend wore all of her normal clothes through preganacy. BUT she way not able to wear then after as they were stretched.

I bought a whole new wardrobe while pregnant. Jeans with adjustable waistbands fit me until the 8th month (check out old navy, they have a button and a piece of elastic on the inside that way they grow with you) I also bought a pair of jean capris with a low band around the belly, those I wore from my 3rd month to the day before i had Steven. I wore gauchos since it was summer and paired them with longer tight tank tops.

I had to buy new pants from my 2-3 month, My jeans where lower rise and when I wore them I always had to pee. I am short waisted, so my tops got to short fast also. I would buy maternity tops just b/c they are longer in the front to cover your belly, that way you are not buying tons of new clothes. i bought key peices through my pregnancy, a few I outgrew, but most of it grew well with me.

I LOVED old navy, gap and target. They were fun peices that I could mix and match. I was big on showing off my belly, I did not like the billowey tops as much.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    No, I would not buy anything in anticipation of anything. Shop as you go because you could stay very small or blow up.

• Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used the rubber band trick on my regular jeans at first. When that got too uncomfortable, I bought some maternity pants. My favorites are those that sit under the belly. I feel like I'm always hitching up the ones that are supposed to go over my belly.

For shirts, I wore my regular shirts with maternity pants for a few weeks, but they quickly got too short. I have some shirts now that are maternity and some that are not, but are high-waisted and flowy.

I've bought some things at Kohl's, Old Navy, Target, and Motherhood. I also found a consignment store near me that has a good maternity section, so you might check into that as well.

I've only bought ahead when I found a really good deal on something, like I came across some summer items for $3 each once. Other than that, I buy what fits now.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    OK Old Navy has these two really cute maternity pieces--a dress and a top--that would be perfect for me to wear to work this summer, since they are safari style. I don't know if they would still have them by summer though--so maybe I could at least buy those now?

Someone give me a justification to go shopping! :lol:
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I shopped pretty early, so I say go ahead! I bought most of my clothes at Target and Motherhood. Regular clothes in larger sizes didn't look too good on me. I felt they made me look fat, not pregnant, especially when I didn't have a huge belly yet. High-waisted, flowy tops might work well for you, just make sure that they're fairly long. My main problem at the end was that even maternity clothes would leave me with a bit of belly peeking out. I wouldn't buy a lot of pants yet. My thighs ended up expanding quite a bit, and I needed a bigger size than I would have at the beginning. Since you'll be PG in the summer, I recommend you stock up on summer dresses. I pretty much lived in dresses the second half of my pregnancy. I got dresses that looked nice with a small belly but had room to grow.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I started off in maternity smalls and ended up in some larges by the end of my pregnancy - my belly was huuuuuuuge. You really just don't know how your body is going to be shaped, how big you'll be and how you'll carry. I basically went "big" shopping three times - once a trimester, but I'd pick up pieces here and there as I needed them.

that said, shopping is fun, Old Navy is cheap and there's no harm in buying some clothes in anticipation of being able to fit them later on.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    iris427 wrote: »
    I do not need them yet but since I love to shop, I've been thinking about this and I have a few questions.

How many different sizes did you have to buy of maternity clothes, especially tops? Where did you buy most of your maternity clothes? Did you buy things in anticipation of fitting into them later, or did you wait until you were pretty much outgrowing your current clothes?

Since I'm petite, I am wondering if I can get away with buying regular women's clothes in larger sizes, at least until I get a huge belly. Especially because high waisted, flowy tops are in right now.

Petite curlies, did you have trouble finding clothes that fit right during your pregnancy?

I just got one size and it lasted me the whole pregnancy, but I didn't get huge (I'm gonna post pics on the pic thread for you to see.) I didn't start wearing them till the late second tri/early third tri. Empire waist flow-y stuff worked the rest of the time. It is hard finding things to fit when you are short - I had to do a lot of sewing! I mostly bought stuff as I needed it (superstitious) but at one point I went a little nuts because I am a shop-a-holic and bought ahead - so I have a lot of barely worn stuff for #2!

I personally didn't like much of Old Navy except for the odd find and basic things like ts and long-sleeved tops for every day. I preferred to splurge out a bit for nicer pieces - I wanted to feel good about myself and my clothes in pregnancy. But if you are trying to save money, ON works.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I did pretty well with some non-maternity flowy babydoll tops from H & M all through first trimester and into my second. Also did the rubberband trick with my pants and used the hell out of my Bella Band. Most of my stuff came from Old Navy, Motherhood and Target. Definitely buy as you go. You don't know how stuff will fit and what will be comfortable.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    I bought most of my stuff at motherhood first pregnancy and then rewore it the second time with some regular tops thrown in.

This time I bought more maternity bottoms (I'm loving the secret fit belly from motherhood as well as their tummy sleeve made of the same material). What I'm having trouble is finding cute tops. I'm looking around and piecemealing the top wardrobe as I'm short and HATE the super long shirt look. It seems maternity manufacturers add about 3" to that already long look and I end up with shirts down to my knees. Plus I hate the typical maternity tops, so I have a woven baby doll in a funky polka dot print, a ruched poly spandex top in a funkier black and red polka dot print and a basica black wear the heck out of it top. I have chinos, jeans, shorts and yoga pants all in maternity. I've tried on skirts but I hate the way skirts look with a pregnant belly unless you're skinny enough to wear stuff skin tight.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    for the alot of my pregnancy i wore my old clothes (regular jeans but modified them with a hair twistie when i couldnt button them anymore, leggings, yoga pants, worn under the belly, my SO's t shirts).
    but when it came down to it i only bought one size of maternity clothes. i got them all at target. i REFUSED to get a whole new pregnancy wardrobe because i only needed to wear them for a few months. plus i wasnt sure if id ever get pregnant again. and in the event that i do, i cant guarantee that it will be during the same season.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    We're just about the same size pre-pregnancy, so here are my tips:

Pants - the only ones that fit me were GapMaternity size 0.... I had dress pants (black and khaki) in I think a 0-Short and didn't need to hem them, and jeans (roll panel) in 0-Regular and had them hemmed (I think they were out-of-stock in 0-short). Old Navy pants were too big even in XS. Otherwise I just wore my pre-pregnancy yoga pants or athletic shorts under my belly. I started needing maternity pants right around the beginning of my 2nd trimester, though the rubberband trick worked for quite a while.

Tops - I didn't need maternity tops for quite a while. My sister gave me a few tops that were size Small (normally wear XS). I also got some maternity ribbed tanks from Old Navy and layered them under regular shirts that were otherwise getting to be too short. Once I did need maternity tops, Old Navy XS were the greatest, although at the end NOTHING I wore covered my belly completely because it was huge. I wasn't working anymore though so it wasn't a huge deal.

Dresses/skirts - I looooooved wearing dresses as they were so pretty and it was so hot during the summer. I got a couple from Gap - one XS (needed altering) and one XXS (didn't need altering). I also got one at Target in XS (needed altering for length) and one at Old Navy in XS (fit perfectly). I had a very difficult time with skirts... I tried and returned denim skirts to both Gap and Old Navy. I did get a stretchy black skirt from Old Navy in XS.

Bathing suits - don't even bother trying on a maternity swimsuit; it'll be huge on you. I just got separates at Old Navy: a large top and small bottom (though an XS bottom may still have fit, they just didn't have one).

Actually, iris, if you want to borrow any of my maternity clothes you're welcome to them since they should fit you and it's the same season. PM me if you're interested and you can just pay me for shipping.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    iris427 wrote: »
    Someone give me a justification to go shopping! :lol:
    I found that while often I could still just wear regular clothes in a bigger size, the cut and fit of maternity-specific stuff was just soooo much more comfortable (and probably more flattering on me). So I say that's a pretty good excuse to go shopping - all in the name of *comfort* :lol:
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
    Yes - non maternity clothes don't hang right, or ride up at the belly, or are too big in the waist/shoulders/chest etc. especially if you are petite. Maternity clothes fit better or at least there is less altering.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Amneris wrote: »
    Yes - non maternity clothes don't hang right, or ride up at the belly, or are too big in the waist/shoulders/chest etc. especially if you are petite. Maternity clothes fit better or at least there is less altering.

I agree. The only nonmaternity clothes I'm wearing right now are the empire-waisted ones that look like maternity tops anyway. Otherwise, since I'm small-chested even while pregnant (although not as small as I normally am :icon_smile:), nonmaternity clothes that would fit my tummy are too big for my chest.
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    definitely get a bella band - so worth it. i used it with my regular pants for a while, then with maternity pants that were still too big - and now i even wear it with a pair of maternity pants that are too small to go over my belly, but fit just right under belly (the bella band helps keep them up and with a better looking fit).

target has a lot of cute stuff. i got most of my tops there - mainly some basic tees, and also a maternity camisole is indispensable for layering. i'd also spend money on at least one pair of jeans that fit great (over the belly band will get you the most mileage). the ones i have, love and have worn the heck out of are from motherhood.

have fun shopping!

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

mayim wrote: »
    definitely get a bella band - so worth it. i used it with my regular pants for a while, then with maternity pants that were still too big - and now i even wear it with a pair of maternity pants that are too small to go over my belly, but fit just right under belly (the bella band helps keep them up and with a better looking fit).

target has a lot of cute stuff. i got most of my tops there - mainly some basic tees, and also a maternity camisole is indispensable for layering. i'd also spend money on at least one pair of jeans that fit great (over the belly band will get you the most mileage). the ones i have, love and have worn the heck out of are from motherhood.

have fun shopping!

m

The bella band did NOT work for me, but I seem to be one of the few to say that. I did like the stuff I got on my one trip to Target - the Liz Lange line. I wish we had Target in Canada. I totally agree with the camisole rec - I had three (black, white, beige) and they went with everything. I would also say that a really nice maternity dress can make you feel pretty no matter what.

.png

534Pm5.png

• webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I should have gotten real maternity clothing instead of sausaging into clothing that didn't fit right. Besides, if you're planning on having more than one, it may be worthwhile to splurge on some clothing.

My favorite was wrap dresses.
    hello.world.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    Ooh, I forgot about dresses. They will definitely be your best friend - I had a few that ended up shorter than they were once my belly grew and I wore pants under them.
    I also bought about three of the same dress in different colors that had an empire seam from Banana Republic. It's nice because I can still wear them now since I'm working my way back to pre-pregnancy body :)
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I only bought XS/S things. Perhaps if I had gone full term, I would have needed to buy another size of clothes but I doubt it. I didn't start wearing maternity full time until about 28 weeks. Before then, I could still fit into this pair of low rise jeans that I wore with almost everything and some flowy shirts that I bought early on. Until you get a bigger belly, you can probably get away with doing something similar. I pretty much bought things as I saw them and as I wanted them.

I had a huge problem finding things that fit. I am not short but I was a 0 when I got pregnant. Small in maternity clothes was never small enough and so few places make XS. Target stuff looked like I was dressing in blimp clothes. I got most of my things from a local boutique that carried lines that made XS and 0 in maternity wear. My bottom ended up a little bigger than my top so I was able to get a few small pieces from Motherhood. Mimi and Pea in a Pod carry a lot more XS. Old Navy had a lot of XS stuff but either their stuff shrunk or it was too short to begin with because right about the time that I started showing, all of my ON shorts were too short to cover my belly.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file