Need some support from other 2s

lilred3931lilred3931 Registered Users Posts: 4
So, I am so excited about the CG routine! BUT, now that I'm experimenting, I'm having less good hair days... I want to push through so my hair looks awesome, but ugh! I need some support to tell me to keep going and some comments to improve my regimen!

This is what I've been doing:
I am using Herbal Essence body envy volumizing shampoo (left over from before I saw the light). I'm trying to shampoo only once a week, but I usually make it only about 3 or 4 days. My hair feels coarser and more oily, gets flat and frizzy the longer I go without shampoo. So I guess my question in this area is: Do other 2s really go without shampoo? What if I find my hair really does look better on the days that I wash it? Also, I'd love some shampoo recommendations for my next purchase!

I have been conditioning a LOT more and that's been great! I used to not condition much at all because I have an oily scalp, but I'm using Pantene Hydrating Curls (also looking for product recommendations for my next purchase...) and my hair is really soaking it in!

So, I typically don't even wet my hair on non-washing days... then when I can't handle it anymore (about 3-4 days) I shampoo and condition, plop for only 5 minutes (shorter is better for me), apply styling product (Garnier Fructis curl contructor mousse), clip my roots in front for volume, and let air dry, not touching it as long as possible.

It looks really great that first day after it's dry, second day is good and possibly third, but by the 4th, it's flat, and feels "grungy"...

Comments? Suggestions? Encouragement?

Thanks so much!
new to CG since early Feb. 2b/3a hair - would love more spirals!

Comments

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    Well the ends of my hair are a 3 but the roots are probably a 2 so I'll barge in because I have a story. :)

I haven't been using shampoo for a couple weeks. It feels clean and fine to me. I rinse/condition daily and co-wash every 2-3 days. I can't go without a wet-down due to styling reasons, but I can certainly rock a pony on the weekend without a wet-down and without it feeling gross or anything.

So last Saturday I got a cut. They shampooed me. I let them because I'm always up for a fun experiment. So I get my cut, blah blah whatever. The next day is Sunday, and I'm doing the pony-no-wet-down thing. I start to notice my roots are GREASY after one day!

I'm convinced that my oil glands are usually Gizmo, until they are given detergent. Then it's like feeding them after midnight. Shampooing makes me greasy. Man, I wish I figured this out when I was 12.
  • sheryshery Registered Users Posts: 21
    I'm a 2c in the winter and a 3a in humid weather and I haven't used shampoo in over two months. I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Devacurl NoPoo[/buylink] once a week and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]Devacurl One Condition[/buylink]er every other day. The first two or three weeks my hair was frizzy and flat but after that I started to get more curls. My picture below is from my shampoo days and I definitely have more curls now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I've been sulfates free since 1/1/08. length 43" Thick, coarse, porous, wavy hair with spirals. Products used: WEN Cleansing Conditioner(Tea Tree, Fig, and Sweet Almond) Devacurl No Poo, DevaCurl One Conditioner. On Feb 2, 09 I had an awesome customer service experience w/ Devachan-Thanks!!!
  • LilyWavesLilyWaves Registered Users Posts: 224
    Welcome lilred!:wave:
    Ok...starting from the beginning, I would say the first thing you need to do is to stop using your Herbal Essences shampoo. It contains two sulfates that strip your hair and scalp. Most wavies shampoo a few times a week with a cleanser that does not contain any sulfates. If you have a Whole Foods nearby, there are many natural brands that don't contain sulfates. I really like Beauty Without Cruelty Rosemary Mint Tea Tree shampoo that I buy at drugstore.com. Just hang in there! Once you stop using sulfate shampoo, you'll notice your scalp will adjust and will be better for it. For example, I used to wash almost everyday with a regular shampoo, and I found that if I went longer than 2 days without shampooing, my hair would be really oily. Once I stopped with the sulfates, I can now go 3 or 4 days and only then start getting greasy on the 4th day. If you experience any flaking now, you should also notice that will subside once using sulfate-free shampoos. You can check out this support thread about shampooing:http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=37637

Now, moving on to your conditioner...Pantene is known to cause a waxy buildup on hair and you can read a whole thread about it here. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=38585
    It also contains two silicones which causes buildup and is only removable by sulfates, so most curlies avoid anything with the ingredients ending in -xane and -cone. Some conditioners that are really popular here are Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (can be found at drugstore.com and Whole Foods), Trader Joe's Essential conditioner, and Oyin Honey-Hemp conditioner (found at curl-mart). Also, many use cheapie VO5 and Suave conditioners to co-wash or as a regular conditioner when you don't feel you need as much moisture.

Now for your Garnier mousse...I checked the ingredients on it and it does contain a water insoluble 'cone. If you prefer mousse over gel and cream, then I'd recommend Condition 3-in-1 mousse (Wal-Mart or drugstores), or Joico Joiwhip (online or salons)...both are really popular here. If you want to try gels, there are thousands to choose from. Some really popular ones are Fuzzy Duck (curl-mart), Mop Top anti-frizz gel (curl-mart), Suave #8 gel, FX Special Effects Fixitive (this one is really great and you can find it at Wal-greens), among many others. Some curl enhancing creams to try if you are interested that many apply before a gel are: Loreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Innersence [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Innersense-Quiet-Calm-Curl-Control-p-651.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=innersense-quiet-calm-curl-control]Quiet Calm Curl Control[/buylink], and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:coil[/buylink] (last two found at curl-mart).

As far as getting more than a couple of days out of a hairstyle, I can only seem to do that when I straighten. Many find success with curl revivers such as [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Set-it-Free-p-259.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-set-it-free]Devacurl Set it Free[/buylink] and Jessicurl Awe-Inspiriling spray, but I've yet to try those.

Just hang in there! It will be worth it once you make it through these first few weeks. You'll figure out which products and routines work for you. For more inspiration, you should check out JamieV's photos, her curls look amazing after sticking with CG. Good luck and continue to search through these forums and you'll get the hang of it!
    2b
    conditioner - AOHR
    shampoo - Beauty Without Cruelty Rosemary Mint Tea Tree
    styling products - KCCC, BRHG, Boots Curl Creme, Re:coil
  • lilred3931lilred3931 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Ahh! I feel better already! Riot Crrl - thanks! I bet my hair is similar - I'll be pushing through the grunge!

BrandyC - SO many great suggestions! Thanks! I'm actually going to Sally's today to see what they have. Otherwise, I'll be ordering on the internet (not many choices in my area). And thanks for the other thread links too. I am glad to hear wavies can have better hair too!
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
    If you're going to Sally's, some products I like there are the Bioterra gel. (Bioterra also has a curl creme that some like, but I haven't tried it yet.) They also sell Creme of Nature shampoo, which you can also find at WM. I've also been using the generic Paul Mitchell The Conditioner as a leave-in and the generic Paul Mitchell Mousse (it has some cone ingredients, but they are water soluble).

As far as shampooing, I use the Creme of Nature once a week and co wash in between. My usual "schedule" is to wash or cowash one day, do 2nd day hair the next by wetting my hands and running them over my hair to tame frizzies. Usually the 3rd day I wear a ponytail, and the 4th day I wash or cowash again.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    My hair sounds quite a bit like riotcrrl and I've had only one shampoo since July 2007. That was after a trim at the hair stylist.

ITA with shampoo making hair greasy. The one shampoo I had made my hair gross and greasy on day 2 also.

It took me months to figure out how much product, to plop or not to plop and for how long (I'm a 5 min. plopper too) how to dry, etc. etc.

The products I use are in my sig but you've gotten lots of suggestions already on that front.

Don't give up.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    Lilred, I've only been CG about the same time as you. However, I just ditched my non-CG products. I used the shampoo as a shower gel and used the conditioner to shave my legs with. Now for the good stuff, I did bite the bullet and by the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-lowpoo]DevaCurl low-poo[/buylink] and One Condish. I also bought the Bleavin-In and the Angell. I only use the low-poo about once a week and the others days, I do a conditioner wash with a cheap conditioner, then I use the One Condish. I add the Bleavin-In and the Angell (a huge amount in my mind) and then plop for about 15 minutes.

I have to say that when I started my hair was dry, dull and almost frizzy. It's been 4 weeks and I am amazed at how much curlier my hair has gotten. I thought I was a 2a, but I'm really a 2a/3a and it's getting curlier.

I just ordered the Jessicurl stuff to try. I don't like paying these prices, but, I have problems finding products. I can find some but not others...I just like to have a consistent supplier. :toothy8:
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • SoCalWavySoCalWavy Registered Users Posts: 92
    I had some seriously gnarly hair days in the first weeks of going CG. One day a friend was like, dude, your hair is jacked up! I can laugh now, because it WAS :laughing8:
    There are just so many variables to it, first you have to find CG products, so that you can quit shampooing, but before that you have to learn the like 80 different silicones so you can spot them on the label. Then comes experimentation with the CG products to find the best one for you. Then whether or not to get a Deva cut. It's making my head spin just writing about it!

You CAN go poo-less as a wavy: I've shampooed maybe 1 per month since going CG, once when I got highlights, because you have to shampoo bleach, and for other various reasons *looks pointedly at bottle of AOHR*
    As a former "But my hair is so GREASY when I don't shampoo" type, I can tell you my hair is never greasy on the 2nd and 3rd days, it's actually drier! I put about a dime size of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]too shea[/buylink] as a leave in on the second day, and the third day even more. But I live in California, and it's super super dry here, not exactly curl friendly.

Here's the past 8 monts of CG in a nutshell:
    LOOB: gave me gerri curls, mall hair. gross.
    Clairol 3-in-1 mousse: lots of body, no definition, curl loosening
    HEBE: gave me stringy, limp curls
    Loreal TW: stringy, limp curls. still experimenting.
    GLS: very gentle, if I HAVE to poo I use this. No "greasy roots" the next day.
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink]: shiny, clumpy curls, use in the shower and as a LI.
    AIS: lovely curl refresher, curl boosting, ringlet maker
    Loreal NGFCWH (light pink) condish: very moisturizing, silkening, cheap.
    RR: curl boosting, but string-ifing, not clumpy enough
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]CCSS[/buylink]: use as a second day de-frizzer on dry hair, curl boosting.
    HETT: love! curl shine-ifier, booster, natural look, not great at de-frizzing.
    Biotera gel: also love, great shine-ifer, great booster, great clumping, mix with HETT. 16 oz for $8 score!
    AOHR: weirdly volumizing, builder-upper, lovely, shiny, moisturized locks
    Angell: meh
    SIF: weird waxy, matte feel to my hair, i like shiny hair.
    One C: it's OK. no better than Shikai Color Reflect conditioner and twice as expensive for same ings.
    No-Poo: love, love, love the smell, hate the price not crazy about the results.
    Suave Naturals & VO5 condishes: great cheap lovely cowashes

Sorry this is WAY long, but PS: I can't plop at all, it messes up my ringlets and gives me weird fuzzy curls that go in all different directions. I just clip the roots for volume which works pretty well.
    2A/3A, high porosity, fine, normal elasticity.
    Shampoo Bar: Dr. Bronner's Baby Bar
    Condish: KBB Milk/Mop Top/TJ Nourish
    Leave-In: See Above!
    Curl Enhancer: KCCC/BB Gelee
    Hold: Fuzzy Duck(med)/BRHG(strong)
    2nd Day Hair: FOTE + Dab BRHG

Loving BB Gelee right now
    my hair likes: protein, light gels/sprays
    Fotki: pw=curly
  • lilred3931lilred3931 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have a running list of suggestions and am really looking forward to finding my best CG routine!
  • InfraredheadInfraredhead Registered Users Posts: 335
    Welcome Lil Red! Buy a cheap spiral, a cool colored gel pen, and have some fun here! My monitor is covered with post its of helpful hints I picked up from these lovely ladies. (TY Jcrew...I just wrote down some things from your post! :)) I read the boards for a year before I ventured to post so good for you for jumping right in! Keep at it and you will start loving that beautiful mane of yours.

I am a wavy and yes I poo (gasp!) maybe every two weeks? I use Giovanni 50/50 diluted with distilled water. I also put conditioner in my hair BEFORE I poo then use conditioner again afterwards. The other days I co wash by rotating between probably six different cone free conditioners. Beware you may become a product junkie too!

Not sure if you color your hair, but my color treated hair started staying true much longer once I said bu-bye to sulfate shampoos (definite plus!) Love that list from Sweet Pea!
    Mod CG since April of 2007.
  • eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    I'm a 2C wavy who doesn't poo either, but I will do an occasional ACV rinse or a brown sugar scrub with conditioner. My hair is colored, though, so tends to be on the dry side. The gal who does my hair doesn't use shampoo after the coloring either, just a conditioner rinse. The color seems to last longer. When I went CG almost a year ago, the first month I had some greasy roots, but the curls increased, and once I cut out all silicones, the greasies haven't come back. I'm still trying to find the perfect combination of products, but that's half the fun of being a curly girl! :)
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • merebearmerebear Registered Users Posts: 190
    Hi BrandyC! I read your reply to lilred and I had a couple questions for you (if you don't mind - you have great info). Ive been stuggling for 2 weeks now with painfully dry/damaged hair from a full head of highlights...and I did go pretty light. Right now I am sitting here with coconut oil on my ends...I had done a full coconut oil treatment earlier and yes, my hair does feel much better but...us curlies have our standards...and my hair still isn't right. It sort of feels like the oil still hasn't penetrated the ends. I should be rec'ving my Aubrey order tomorrow with the Rosa Mosquesta conditioner that a lot of women have been mentioning - do you think that will help? What would you do in this situation? My hair is hardly curling but I can tell with the right penetrating conditoner, it would bounce back. Can you help me? I am bumming big time. Thanks!!!
    MereBear
    2B-2C - very wavy with loose ringlets

:wav:
  • merebearmerebear Registered Users Posts: 190
    how do you get moisture back into your hair after coloring? Do you go lighter? I am so confused with the moisture/protein thing...I find that protein makes my hair dry and unruly. You can see all my psycho postings with my ridiculous dilemma and I am just going to keep picking everyone's brain...we are all in this together with our unique hair but I do love it! :blob3:
    MereBear
    2B-2C - very wavy with loose ringlets

:wav:
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Hi Lilred,

Once I went CG in December, I had about a week of weird dry ends, greasy roots, etc. Before that, I was a shampoo every day gal (twice a day sometimes). But low-poo has worked really well for me --- just within the scalp, and then what's left in my hands smoothed along the length just in case. More curl, more places. My former resistant-to-a-CG- cut stylist just asked where I'm going now, and why I'm so much curlier. Vindicated!

Anyway, stick with it. Your scalp will settle down soon, and you'll be free of all that endless rubbing, scrubbing, lathering and rinsing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file