Wetting your hair..

love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
I realized this weekend that my hair always looks its best if I rewet and recondition it. If I use the right products, I can get second day hair that looks good too. But I learned the hard way yesterday that there is no point in trying to apply a million products to dry, poofed out second day hair that just doesn't look good to start with - it is a huge waste of products and caused me to start hating my hair and thinking that I need to texturize again in order to make it look good without so much fuss.

So, what works for all of you? And have you changed your hair wetting routine over time?
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    I gave up on second day hair years ago. The only days I don't wet my hair are when I just put it back in a pony.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
    I gave up on second day hair years ago. The only days I don't wet my hair are when I just put it back in a pony.

Yes, I hear you. I'm about to adopt a similar policy for my hair. If I don't get great second day hair from Angell and other things, then back under the shower head I go!
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."

• lafeistlafeist Registered Users Posts: 72 Curl Connoisseur
    Ditto for me. I don't wet my hair if it's in a pony. Otherwise, I have to. You know what's weird though? If I go out and let's just say I have a good time and go to bed quite late, I actually have 2nd day hair :wink: Maybe I just don't move during those nights.
    Mostly 3B with some 3C. Faves :Sap Moss co and a weekly Sap Moss shampoo.
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur
    I wet my hair when I wash, so I guess my answer would be several days week. I normally don't rewet my hair in between washings, but there are occasions when I have to.

Curltopia, you don't have to apply alot of products to get second day hair........just the right ones. I can get second day hair with just a leave in and gel.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
    I wet my hair when I wash, so I guess my answer would be several days week. I normally don't rewet my hair in between washings, but there are occasions when I have to.

Curltopia, you don't have to apply alot of products to get second day hair........just the right ones. I can get second day hair with just a leave in and gel.

I agree with you completely about less, not more, product leading to second day hair. I pretty much can only get it with Angell mixed with other stuff. I'm going to bump up my old thread on this to see if others have suggestions.

My error was in thinking that I could turn NON-second day hair, second day hair (if you know what I mean) into something presentable... My hair just wasn't going for it. It was soaking up products like a mad woman and then drying out. The only thing that helped was a ton of White Rain energizing citrus condish left in. I should have just wet my hair and been done with it but I was being stubborn and feeling bad for myself that I have to wet my hair to make it look good... In other words, I was fighting my hair which is never a good idea. I wasl also blue about other stuff and projecting.

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I don't like to re-wet my hair in between washings. I mean, what's the point? If it's going to be sopping wet, I might as well wash it. I hope for 2nd day hair (dry). If that's not possible, I put it up/back/partially up/back. I'm not into ponytails for during the week (at work), so I'm trying to get a little more creative with the things I can do with bad-looking 2nd day hair.

If I could find a FABULOUS mister/spritzer/spray to help with 2nd day hair, I might consider re-wetting. But for just average, frizzy curls that are wet and layered with several days worth of product? No.

Curltopia wrote:
    My error was in thinking that I could turn NON-second day hair, second day hair (if you know what I mean) into something presentable...

I can totally understand what you're saying. I'm guilty of that too. You wind up using more products to get so-so hair, and get frustrated that you can't get it to look the way you want.

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
    Lorraine Massey says that you can wet it (if you don't feel like washing it), and take little clumps and wind them around your finger, pinning them and letting them dry. That's one way to turn yucky, frizzy 2nd day hair into nice curls...but it sounds like a lot of work.

Shyygirl- BINGO. That's exactly what happened.

Spiderlashes- Very interesting tip!! I think that I've learned my lesson from yesterday but just in case I "go there" again, I will definitely try that Lorraine Massey tip and report back to the group :) We have to be each others guinea pigs and eyes and ears ya know :wink:

• urbancurlurbancurl Registered Users Posts: 980
    I voted for every few days. I generally do try to wear 2nd day hair without wetting it. It depends on how frizzed or flattened or bent out of shape my hair looks in the morning. If it wasn't looking very good the first day (which happens more than I would like!) forget it, I'll just rinse, condition, and start over. But if only a few sections are messed up, I've been spraying Set It Free on it, smoothing it and scrunching, and putting it in a shower cap to keep it dry while I shower. I'm just running into trouble with all the swimming I've been doing-- OC is way too expensive for me to be conditioning with every time I've got to rinse salt water out of my hair.
    "It is wrong to use moral means to preserve immoral ends." MLK, Jr.

Password= urban
    Curltopia wrote:

I agree with you completely about less, not more, product leading to second day hair. I pretty much can only get it with Angell mixed with other stuff. I'm going to bump up my old thread on this to see if others have suggestions.

My error was in thinking that I could turn NON-second day hair, second day hair (if you know what I mean) into something presentable... My hair just wasn't going for it. It was soaking up products like a mad woman and then drying out. The only thing that helped was a ton of White Rain energizing citrus condish left in. I should have just wet my hair and been done with it but I was being stubborn and feeling bad for myself that I have to wet my hair to make it look good... In other words, I was fighting my hair which is never a good idea. I wasl also blue about other stuff and projecting.

Aiiieee, yeah, I've done that too, Curltopia. Piling stuff on hair the 2nd day that will never be 2nd day hair... it does end up saving time and product to just wet it and start over again on those days. I feel sorry for myself too though on some of those non-2nd-day days. Like, why can't I just have wake-up-and-go hair!? :?

Password= urban
  • mitabirdmitabird Registered Users Posts: 226 Curl Connoisseur
    I chose several days a week, though it can vary depending on how I'm wearing my hair. If I go curly, I wet it every other day. If I’m going to be wearing it up, I’ll wash/wet it 2x a week.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
    urbancurl wrote:

Aiiieee, yeah, I've done that too, Curltopia. Piling stuff on hair the 2nd day that will never be 2nd day hair... it does end up saving time and product to just wet it and start over again on those days. I feel sorry for myself too though on some of those non-2nd-day days. Like, why can't I just have wake-up-and-go hair!? :?

Yup! I was sooo just in that place :?

mitabird wrote:
    I chose several days a week, though it can vary depending on how I'm wearing my hair. If I go curly, I wet it every other day. If I’m going to be wearing it up, I’ll wash/wet it 2x a week.

This is sensible. Since I basically wear my hair down and curly all the time, I need to keep rewetting and reconditioning. But maybe I should experiment more with ponytails...

• mitabirdmitabird Registered Users Posts: 226 Curl Connoisseur
    Curltopia wrote:
    mitabird wrote:

This is sensible. Since I basically wear my hair down and curly all the time, I need to keep rewetting and reconditioning. But maybe I should experiment more with ponytails...

When I wear it curly, the 2nd day is usually in a ponytail. I've tried to make it 3 days, but my hair becomes extremely difficult to detangle. That's why I go every other day. If I'm wearing it up, it's usually some kind of up-do, a bun for example. I can make that last a lot longer since I don't have to worry about tangles as much.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
    mitabird wrote:

When I wear it curly, the 2nd day is usually in a ponytail. I've tried to make it 3 days, but my hair becomes extremely difficult to detangle. That's why I go every other day. If I'm wearing it up, it's usually some kind of up-do, a bun for example. I can make that last a lot longer since I don't have to worry about tangles as much.

I hear you on the tangles, and for that reason try to wetbrush every other day.... My hair isn't nearly as long as yours so I can't rock an updo. But I look forward to doing it some day :wink:

Curltopia,

I also wear my hair down and curly the majority of the time. So I don't have much experience with ponytails or updos, but maybe we'd be saving ourselves some time and product in the long run if we tried?

Password= urban
    BTW, who put in the "Less than once a week" vote!? :mrgreen:

Password= urban
    urbancurl wrote:
    Curltopia,

I also wear my hair down and curly the majority of the time. So I don't have much experience with ponytails or updos, but maybe we'd be saving ourselves some time and product in the long run if we tried?

Yeah, I hear you, and I am beginning to think it is a good style option for us. Your hair is definitely long enough for updos and I bet they would look beautiful on you... You should start a new thread on it on one of the boards, or several of them :wink: I am very curious to see what kinds of tips and tricks you would get!!

• DouglaDougla Registered Users Posts: 21
    I voted for several times a week. I wash my hair every other day - my scalp tends to get itchy. Second day hair is touch and go with me. I don't re-wet unless I'm washing my hair, if it gets a bit damp it just goes all frizzy. When I wash I use Head and Shoulders and then Rusk Calm conditioner (think I'm going to try Suave Coconut though from all the rave reviews here!). Then when my hair is still wet I put in Rusk Wired and then Loreal Melting Gel. Once my hair dries I put it up in a bun to sretch the curls a bit, then down for the rest of the day. At night I sleep with it in a pineapple with a satin scrunchie and the ends tucked in. Going to try the satin pillow. Thanks for all your tips guys!!!

Urbancurl - I think we might be curl twins! I'll have to post some pictures so we can compare :)
    Combination 3B/3C Shoulder length hair. Half Indian/Half Black Trini girl

Dougla wrote:
    Urbancurl - I think we might be curl twins! I'll have to post some pictures so we can compare :)

Yeah, please post pics! :D

Password= urban
    urbancurl wrote:
    Dougla wrote:

Ok so I put some up on Flickr the link is in my signature..over the weekend I'll tray and take some more. Let me know what you think...I think we might be twins! How exciting!

Dougla wrote:
    urbancurl wrote:
    Dougla wrote:

Ok so I put some up on Flickr the link is in my signature..over the weekend I'll tray and take some more. Let me know what you think...I think we might be twins! How exciting!

Wow, I would say so!!! Even down to the length and the variation in the curls. Like in the one where you are outside holding a cup, your hair looks curlier than in some of the others. That is very characterisitic of mine too. There are some other curlies on board with pictures who are my twins or sisters too, like ChocolateCurls and Amneris. But I think you and I are a closer match! :D (We have totally gone OT here, sorry!)

Password= urban
    :evil: I hate you both :cry:

:evil: I hate you both :cry:

But wouldn't you say we're at least close hair sisters??

Anyway your hair is looking gorgeous, Spider! -insert hug here-

Password= urban
    Dougla wrote:
    urbancurl wrote:
    Dougla wrote:

You and Urbancurl do appear to be hair twins. You have beautiful curls, Dougla! :)

DC metro area
  • ColochaColocha Registered Users Posts: 344
    Dougla, I like your curls!! :D

I voted several times a week. I wash it every other day. Sometimes I go for every 2 days but I usually wear it on a pony tail.

I tried to wet it between washes and it´s just not for me. The products don´t sit well on my hair and it takes a long time to wet it with a sprayer.
    "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 18:21

Hair type: 3b/c

You and Urbancurl do appear to be hair twins. You have beautiful curls, Dougla! :)

Agreed :D

• curlsallovercurlsallover Registered Users Posts: 16
    I voted daily. I have never been able to achieve second day hair, except in a pony. I fully wet and condition my hair everyday, and wash it about once a week. I keep meaning to get a satin pillowcase to see if it helps my Medusa Morning look. I like to shower every morning before work anyway, so I guess it's no big deal to wet my hair everyday. My hair is so curly that I just shake my head, apply products and let it air dry. I'm lucky that styling doesn't take much time!
    Mostly 3B corkscrews.
    urbancurl wrote:
    Dougla wrote:
    urbancurl wrote:
    Dougla wrote:

Wow, I would say so!!! Even down to the length and the variation in the curls. Like in the one where you are outside holding a cup, your hair looks curlier than in some of the others. That is very characterisitic of mine too. There are some other curlies on board with pictures who are my twins or sisters too, like ChocolateCurls and Amneris. But I think you and I are a closer match! :D (We have totally gone OT here, sorry!)

Yay! I had a feeling! (yes we have gone OT..but hey) It's great to find someone that knows what we have to deal with! :) The pic where I'm holding the cup I'm in Trinidad where it is HUMID!! I'll have to check out Chocolate Curls and Amneris too!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file