teething meds and mother-in-law

beliciousbelicious Posts: 196Registered Users
I have been giving my 9 month old Hyland's teething tablets. My mother-in-law babysat today and later called over to say that she felt that the teething tablets may be "toxic" since it contains belladonna. She asked that I call my pediatrician and pharmacist right away. The tablets were recommended to me by a nurse and lactation speciialist who are very cautious. I trust their advice. I wish my mother-in-law would trust me. She is very much a "helicopter" mom with my husband and it appears that she is being a "helicopter" grandma now too. Any advice - on teething and/or helicopter grandmas? ;)
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
My hair shrinks or expands according to the humidity and my hair products. ;)
2C hair, thick and coarse and dry

Comments

• CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    In all fairness, it was a pretty good call on her part to question that. She couldn't know in what quantities the Hylands contained belladonna and it IS toxic and if it were my baby, far better safe than sorry.

I found Hylands to be a huge waste of time for my daughter. I don't actually believe in that sort of med, but I was desperate. I finally just gave up on "natural" and used small doses of Orajel and Motrin.
  • beliciousbelicious Posts: 196Registered Users
    And see I was concerned abouut things I have read about Orajel... I do not think that any medication that is given to a baby will be considered 100% safe by every one. Ultimately, each parent has to decide what they are comfortable with.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    My hair shrinks or expands according to the humidity and my hair products. ;)
    2C hair, thick and coarse and dry
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Hylands Teething Tablets. LOVE THEM. love them.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    My husband has the same concern. I use them as a last resort - after trying other methods like breastfeeding, chewing on cold fruit, cold washcloths etc.
    hello.world.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    We had them checked out by our allergist, who also has a pharmacology degree. His line was "They probably won't help, but they can't hurt" but they did seem to help a little.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    we loved them and still do but we were given good advice by someone to up the dosing more frequently than that stated on the bottle.

I'm a big fan of homeopathy and natural meds/herbs so if something doesn't work we move onto another option that's natural. Especially with homeopathic remedies. If you don't see an improvement quickly then the remedy was not the right one.

I usually keep some dried home blended fussy baby tea on hand too for older babies. Basically chamomile, catnip, and a couple of other things that calm down a variety of fussiness. But nursing is always the first defense. This is when nursing on demand shines and the wonderful soothing properties of nursing and breastmilk help a babe.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There won't be any way you can stop a helicopter mom from being a helicopter grandma. The bottom line is she had her chance to parent, and now it's yours. You make the decisions for your child, not her. Insist she follow through with your decisions, and if she doesn't then find a different babysitter.
    I didn't try Hyland's with my kids. Motrin worked the best, and sometimes I'd rub it on their gums, in desperation. I don't know if it helped. They hated anbesol. I couldn't figure out why until I tried a little bit, it stung my tongue! No wonder they hated it.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm a fan of some herbal remedies, but those teething tablets are homeopathy, not herbal. In homeopathy, the "essense" of herbal remedies are given to patients in extremely small, infinitisimal amounts. If any of the remedies work, it's psychosomatic...placebo effect.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    I know, homeopathy and herbal are different but I have had very good luck with homeopathy that is definitely beyond placebo (arnica being a major one).

eta: Plus my kids as infants didn't know what placebo effect is and I saw visible relief in them from various homeopathic remedies.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I know, homeopathy and herbal are different but I have had very good luck with homeopathy that is definitely beyond placebo (arnica being a major one).

eta: Plus my kids as infants didn't know what placebo effect is and I saw visible relief in them from various homeopathic remedies.

I agree.

I would much rather give Chas' teething tablets than motrin or tylenol. I have given him both in cases where the teething is so bad that the tablets don't completely get rid of the pain. I think that has happened maybe 3 times?
  • sundaysunday Posts: 535Registered Users
    No advice about the tablets, but my crazy MIL wanted to rub my son's gums and inner mouth with bourbon.
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    yes, i was going to mention the same thing rcw said about them being homeopathic - there wouldn't be enough left of the belladona in them to cause harm.

(and some would say not enough left to have effect ... and i would too if i hadn't had a surprisingly successful experience with homeopathy myself).

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file