Talking yourself out of a texturizer..

love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
I am in the process of doing this now. In some ways it would be much easier for me if I just put some chemicals in my hair. But I want to grow it out to beyond shoulder length in its natural state, and it is much healthier and less dry/damaged in its natural state than when it is texturized (although it LOOKS shinier when texturized).

I'm sure that I am not the only curly who goes through this. What kinds of pep talks do you give yourself?
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)

Comments

• curlychellecurlychelle Registered Users Posts: 44
    I feel exactly the same way. I've been transitioning for months and couldn't wait to get my natural curls back. But I've found a good routine and good products, and now I love how my relaxed ends look when I wear my hair curly. It's shinier with looser curls than the roots. I'm really struggling with this!! I'll never go back to blow drying and flat ironing, but I'm thinking of going to Devachan to get a REALLY mild relaxer on my new growth.

I'll only do it if I can get an appt at Devachan. I don't think I trust anyone else to do a relaxer without eliminating all my curl. If I go to Devachan, I'm confident they will relax my roots without destroying all the curl.
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
    Thanks for your post, Curly Chelle. I'm going on 9 months of no chemicals so I feel like I should just bear down and tough it out. The growing out process is not so bad that I wouldn't do it all over again, but I am hoping to talk myself into just staying the course until I can achieve a bit more length. Of course, I did trim off 1/5th of an inch today... but I think that regular trims are good for the hair, and it had been about 2 months since my last trim.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur
    I've never had a texturizer, but having grown out of a relaxer, I can identify with how you are feeling.

I felt frustrated when I was transitioning, and struggling with the drastically different textures.

My motivation is that my hair is healthier, and that I'm literally not a slave to my hair anymore(though I DO spend more money and time taking care of it :wink: ). I don't have to use harsh chemicals to "manage" my hair. Texturizers and relaxers involve just as much committment as being natural, but the difference is that I can potentially damage my hair more with the chemicals, and I'd rather deal with a head full of crazy curls, as opposed chemically manipulated hair(even though I don't have a problem with those that choose to do that......it's a personal choice).

Oh, and my fiance loves twirling my curls, so that's an added bonus. :)
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
    I don't have radically different textures to worry about, especially since my natural hair has all kinds of textures.. But I do miss the shiny, loose, 3a curl look. And it is cheaper to be texturized and my hair looks a certain way that I kind of miss. I do love my natural curls, but have to always keep on top of conditioning and other routines. It's just more work to be natural. But then, I guess that things that are really worthwhile do require more effort :wink:

• WildflowerWildflower Registered Users Posts: 112
    I'd love to go chemical free. but at the moment. I dont think I could.

Im currently using Aveda Sap Moss and biolage defining elixir. I read that the biolage has dimethicone copyolyl (or something like that!) which is the water soluble silicone apparently, so I feel better about that.

I used to mix a bit of this with a bit of that, but Im trying to let it go a little.
    pw: curls
  • jayseventiesjayseventies Registered Users Posts: 14
    Understand the way you feel. I'm letting my wave nouveau grow out and try to keep my natural hair. My first step is to attempt to go poo-less and create new routines without the cones, petroleum etc. As others said, having your natural curl, takes as much maintenance as when you have relaxed or curly permed hair. But still I find it difficult. Chemically treated hair for me was better to maintain. Now I have to adjust my routines, till I can beat the dry- and brittlenes.

So now I'm thinkin 'bout weaving or braiding hair in. :P . Hey, but it's not chemical!
    Hairtype 3c/4a/4b
    Transitioning: last curly perm May '05
    Starting CG routine 24 August '05
  • PokahontasPokahontas Registered Users Posts: 184
    Curltopia wrote:
    I am in the process of doing this now. In some ways it would be much easier for me if I just put some chemicals in my hair. But I want to grow it out to beyond shoulder length in its natural state, and it is much healthier and less dry/damaged in its natural state than when it is texturized (although it LOOKS shinier when texturized).

I'm sure that I am not the only curly who goes through this. What kinds of pep talks do you give yourself?

Don't get discouraged curltopia. All I have to say is your hair is beautiful. I think once you get it all grown out it will be easier and you will love it. It is your choice wether to texturize or not but I think your hair will be a lot healthier in it's natural state. I know mine was. My length seemed to almost double once I went natural and started caring for my hair and getting regular trims.

You said your hair looks shinier when texturized....have you ever tried shine enhancing products? I love shine too and the best one I've tried is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Shine-and-Define-Styling-Serum-p-253.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-shine-and-define-styling-serum]Oyin's Shine and Define[/buylink]. It gives my hair a healthy gloss and it dosen't have any bad ingredients. HTH
    Thanks everyone - you are all awesome! And thanks for the compliment Pokahontas..

I had a hard weekend with my hair and allowed it to discourage me. But I am back in the saddle this week and hoping to strengthen my resolve :)

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Shine-and-Define-Styling-Serum-p-253.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-shine-and-define-styling-serum]Oyin shine and define[/buylink] sounds interesting.... I think that I will try it!

Curltopia wrote:
    Thanks everyone - you are all awesome! And thanks for the compliment Pokahontas..

I had a hard weekend with my hair and allowed it to discourage me. But I am back in the saddle this week and hoping to strengthen my resolve :)

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Shine-and-Define-Styling-Serum-p-253.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-shine-and-define-styling-serum]Oyin shine and define[/buylink] sounds interesting.... I think that I will try it!

Good for you curltopia! I think we all have those days.

Yeah, I love Shine and Define because I like for my hair to shine and this provides that well. I bought the sample pack from Oyin and I love it. The [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]whipped pudding[/buylink] smells like chocolate and it's very moisturizing. I will be buying more products from her but I am such a pj....I really need to use up some of the stuff I already have. :lol:
    Dear lord - I know all about the Perils of the PJ... I could write volumes on it 8)

Oyin sample pack, huh?..... Uh oh, danger zone, danger zone ahead.... may day, may day... :P

Curltopia wrote:
    Dear lord - I know all about the Perils of the PJ... I could write volumes on it 8)

Oyin sample pack, huh?..... Uh oh, danger zone, danger zone ahead.... may day, may day... :P

:lol::lol: Me too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file