Couple questions for RCW....

alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
Okay, so on your advice, I got the following:

PSF Castile Soap, HA Serum, Vit. C Serum, 5% Salicylic Acid from PSF.

I also got 5% Salicylic Acid, Emu oil and a facial brush from DY.

I got the PSF SA because it was smaller, I thought that it might be thicker and more for "spot treatment" whereas I cold use the DY similar to a toner, all-over treatment.

So now for the questions:

I see that your advice has been to apply Vit. C and wait 10 minutes and also to apply SA and wait 30 minutes, both before applying your moisturizer....why is that? And how terribly important is it that I wait to move on t apply moisturizer?

Also, if the Castile Soap is pH neutral, and then I use an acidic "toner" afterward, am I then screwing myself over by making my skin acidic? A toner is usually to restore that pH balance but there is no imbalance to restore so now I'm just confused!

And lastly, what is your opinion on the Neutrogena Dry Touch Sunscreen? This is the only sunscreen that doesn't make me feel icky and I use it everyday when I am on dayshift. In the summer, I skip jojoba oil in the morning and use this instead because the combo is too much for me.
3A/3B
I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    alisons79 wrote: »
    Okay, so on your advice, I got the following:

PSF Castile Soap, HA Serum, Vit. C Serum, 5% Salicylic Acid from PSF.

I also got 5% Salicylic Acid, Emu oil and a facial brush from DY.

I got the PSF SA because it was smaller, I thought that it might be thicker and more for "spot treatment" whereas I cold use the DY similar to a toner, all-over treatment.

So now for the questions:

I see that your advice has been to apply Vit. C and wait 10 minutes and also to apply SA and wait 30 minutes, both before applying your moisturizer....why is that? And how terribly important is it that I wait to move on t apply moisturizer?

Also, if the Castile Soap is pH neutral, and then I use an acidic "toner" afterward, am I then screwing myself over by making my skin acidic? A toner is usually to restore that pH balance but there is no imbalance to restore so now I'm just confused!

And lastly, what is your opinion on the Neutrogena Dry Touch Sunscreen? This is the only sunscreen that doesn't make me feel icky and I use it everyday when I am on dayshift. In the summer, I skip jojoba oil in the morning and use this instead because the combo is too much for me.

The reason for the wait after acidic products is to allow time for the acid to work before prematurely neutralizing it with other products. If you were to apply 5% SA and then your moisturizer immediately afterwards, you have just neutralized the acid and gotten no benefit from it...it was a waste of time, effort and money. Acids will be neutralized from the skin itself in about 30 minutes, so it's then safe to move on with your routine.

You don't screw yourself over by using an acid toner after PSF Castile cleanser, but depending on what the product is, you might be doing damage to your skin. Most toners are rubbing alcohol based and not good for the skin.

I don't believe the PSF BHA is thick, but I could be wrong. Both the PSF and DY BHA's are great products and can be used all over or just as spot treatments. They would, in effect, feel like a toner to you, if you just can't seem to give up that toner sensation.

I don't like any of those combo moisturizer/sunscreens. They are just so full of junk ingredients. I moisturize with emu/HA (if needed) and then use mineral makeup for my everyday incidential sun exposure and only use sunscreen (not a combo product) when I'm out in the sun all day, and even then I hate every minute of it and wash it off ASAP.
  • alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
    Dang girl, you're quick!! :)

Thanks for the response. I really feel that it is beneficial for all my skin to use the SA all over. I used to only use the Clinique stuff once a day so I'll see how this stuff works and adjust accordingly.

I don't wear the MM enough to rely on only that as a sunscreen. The one I mentioned is not advertised as a combo but using an oil or separate moisturizer *and then* the sunscreen is too much for me in the summer, so since the sunscreen is more important, it kinda fills in as both. I use it solely in the mornings before I go to work and the emollients in it act as moisturizers. Or maybe my skin isn't as dry in the summer???

Either way, thanks for the reply! :)
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
    The sunscreen is really up to you. Just because I hate them, doesn't mean everyone else should. Everyone has to do their own risk vs. benefit rationale.

Just a reminder, since you mentioned you want to use the BHA all over...most acids should not be used in the eye area. Eyes don't need exfoliation. The skin there is thin enough already.
  • alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
    Yeah I read that somewhere a couple years ago....and promptly stopped with the scrubbing/toner usage/SA in that area! :)

But thanks again for the reminder! :)
    3A/3B
  • funkediscofunkedisco Posts: 130Registered Users
    To RCW,

I don't have the vit C stuff, just salicylic and HA. Should I apply the salicylic 1st, then wait 30 min to do my HA/Jojoba combo?

Also, know you aren't a fan of sunscreen but do you have any recommendation about when that should go on the face, after everything else or just after the salicylic? Thanks! :happy11:
    2a-3a
    Modified CG
    Suave Lavender Co, Tigi MM, CK, Fuzzy Duck/FX Curl

:) Take up a course in happiness :)
    funkedisco wrote: »
    To RCW,

I don't have the vit C stuff, just salicylic and HA. Should I apply the salicylic 1st, then wait 30 min to do my HA/Jojoba combo?

Also, know you aren't a fan of sunscreen but do you have any recommendation about when that should go on the face, after everything else or just after the salicylic? Thanks! :happy11:

Yes, you would cleanse, then SA, wait 30 minutes, then Vit C if you have it, wait 10 minutes, then HA/oil. Sunscreen would go on last, at the end of your skincare products, but before makeup.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file