Crazy little kicker!

Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Before today, most of the movement I've felt is really low, like it felt like the baby was kicking my cervix. This made me think the baby was head up even though at 18 weeks he was head down.

Today though, I'm feeling something a lot higher, like the level of my belly button, but on the sides. I'm still feeling wiggles down low too. Sometimes it feels like I'm being kicked in the butt...from the inside. :laughing9:

Not complaining...I love feeling all this...just wanted to share.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Before today, most of the movement I've felt is really low, like it felt like the baby was kicking my cervix. This made me think the baby was head up even though at 18 weeks he was head down.

Today though, I'm feeling something a lot higher, like the level of my belly button, but on the sides. I'm still feeling wiggles down low too. Sometimes it feels like I'm being kicked in the butt...from the inside. :laughing9:

Not complaining...I love feeling all this...just wanted to share.

Most fetuses move flip in and out of vertex (head-down position), quite freely, til about 27-28 weeks, when the weight of their heads becomes such that it's heavier than the rest of their body and gravity pulls them head down for good.

There are exceptions, of course...that's how we get breech babies...but, for the most part, they're not in final vertex position til the beginning of the third trimester.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    BEG, my little guy is nuts- it feels like he's all over the place. He's gone from transverse to vertex and back to transverse, and he wiggles around a lot. I wish he would revertex himself, I am 28 weeks tomorrow, although the midwife told me not to worry about it until at least 34 weeks. She said most babies turn by 30 weeks.

RCW, so when he vertexes himself again (that's not a valid verb, is it?), he is likely to stay that way because of the weight of his head?
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Most fetuses move flip in and out of vertex (head-down position), quite freely, til about 27-28 weeks, when the weight of their heads becomes such that it's heavier than the rest of their body and gravity pulls them head down for good.

I was wondering made 28 weeks when they usually stay head down. I didn't realize it was the head getting heavy (or maybe I have read that and forgot). Interesting!
    cosmicfly wrote: »
    BEG, my little guy is nuts- it feels like he's all over the place. He's gone from transverse to vertex and back to transverse, and he wiggles around a lot. I wish he would revertex himself, I am 28 weeks tomorrow, although the midwife told me not to worry about it until at least 34 weeks. She said most babies turn by 30 weeks.

I love all those wiggles too!

Sometimes I worry about position too, not just breech, but also being posterior since that can make labor a lot longer sometimes. I did a little reading at spinningbabies.com about how to encourage the baby to settle into a good position.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Mine was a crazy kicker too. Sometimes I felt like I had several babies in there having a party. I was worried he'd be a really active baby, but so far, he's been really mellow. *knock on wood*
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    RCW, so when he vertexes himself again (that's not a valid verb, is it?), he is likely to stay that way because of the weight of his head?

Yup, that's the way it's supposed to work. Occasionally, one will get himself lost or hung up and not be able to turn vertex, and then you've got a breech baby. Or, some really active ones with mothers who have roomy pelvises will keep flipping around after 28 weeks. But, for the vast majority, once they're head down at 28 weeks, they can't really go back to breech.

And OB's use the term vertex as a verb, and a noun, and even as a proper noun. They call babies "the vertex" all the time.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Thanks, guys.

BEG, I did some reading on the spinning babies website as well after last week's appointment. I actually think he might be vertex now, my belly is rounder and less wide, although I'm having trouble feeling any body parts right now. He's also up higher than my other babies have been. My daughter, who was my second baby, was quite a bit smaller than my first son, and she was transverse until about 32 weeks. My SIL's second baby was breech until about 38 weeks, and he turned on his own one night (she was so uncomfortable she thought she was going into labor but the baby was born a couple of weeks later).

I'd rather he not be breech, and I told him so :p.

You're right about posterior babies, although Maya was posterior and I had a short labor and a super easy delivery. The contractions were excruciating, though, especially during transition. She was my second baby and a full 2 lbs. smaller than her big brother so that probably explains the ease of delivery (3 pushes vs. 3 hours of pushing). I don't know if the contractions during transition for her were more intense because she was posterior or because she was coming so fast, but they definitely hurt more than the ones I had for Max.
    Sometimes I worry about position too, not just breech, but also being posterior since that can make labor a lot longer sometimes. I did a little reading at spinningbabies.com about how to encourage the baby to settle into a good position.

This is a wonderful article about posterior babies. It really got me through my own fears when I was planning my VBA3C (my first baby was posterior and ended in c-sec, so I was a bit gunshy about positions):

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/paininback.asp

This is a wonderful article about posterior babies. It really got me through my own fears when I was planning my VBA3C (my first baby was posterior and ended in c-sec, so I was a bit gunshy about positions):

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/paininback.asp

Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file