To cone? I think so

celeste821celeste821 Registered Users Posts: 348 Curl Neophyte
I am liking the "Organic olive oil extra virgin smoother and polisher serum". I find that it makes my hair soft as well as sheen. I cowash with (Aubrey or Allways natural conditioner) about every 2 to 3 days. I'll deep condition with heat (on wet hair with a shower cap under a hard dome dryer for 20 min) 1 to 2 times a week when I'm not lazy with (aubrey honeysuckel or ubh conditioner) I do this when I shampoo. My hair is doing well

Comments

• foxycus02foxycus02 Registered Users Posts: 918
    Cones shouldn't be a problem unless they build up on your hair. There are millions of women using cone filled products everyday with beautiful hair.

Some of the women on this board make cones seem like hair malaria.

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg
  • celeste821celeste821 Registered Users Posts: 348 Curl Neophyte
    foxycus02 wrote: »
    hair malaria.

LOL what?
  • keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Registered Users Posts: 653
    ITA with foxy...some of my fav rinse out conditioners have cones in them.
    Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
    Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
    DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado
  • Ms KittyMs Kitty Registered Users Posts: 556
    The bad part about silicones is that they build up overtime, and they actually cause your hair to become dry and frizzy because they don't let any air or moisture in. It's a catch 22 - people are recommended to use silicone products to combat frizzy hair, but long term, they cause more damage.
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    Coconut,Jojoba and JBC oils
    Rosemary Oil/w horsetail,coltsfoot and Nettle leaves.
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

http://public.fotki.com/mj11051
  • everlasting*gobstopperseverlasting*gobstoppers Registered Users Posts: 18
    Too be honest, I think this cone razz matazz is a marketing ploy...think about all of the products that have spawned off of this realization that silicones are bad for your hair.

They say the silicones build up, well yes, the product will build up if you don't wash your hair regularly.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    It is true that many people use silicone and detergent and have beautiful hair.

For me, one side benefit of not using cones and therefore not having to use detergent to remove them, is that in general I believe the marketing of the products I am using now is far less sinister than the marketing of the mainstream products. I think that companies like Aubrey profit because they create a nice product that works, not because they are campaigning to spread fear of inadequacy and images of unattainable perfection. Also, I can use a lot of stuff that is homemade/dirt dirt cheap like vinegar.
  • Ms KittyMs Kitty Registered Users Posts: 556
    Riot Crrl wrote: »

For me, one side benefit of not using cones and therefore not having to use detergent to remove them, is that in general I believe the marketing of the products I am using now is far less sinister than the marketing of the mainstream products. I think that companies like Aubrey profit because they create a nice product that works, not because they are campaigning to spread fear of inadequacy and images of unattainable perfection. Also, I can use a lot of stuff that is homemade/dirt dirt cheap like vinegar.

I agree with you that's why I only use AO for my hair. And yes acv is dirt cheap:wave:
    My favorites
    Qhemets AHOC,OHHB
    Yemen Henna
    HHC
    AOHR Deep Conditioner
    Coconut,Jojoba and JBC oils
    Rosemary Oil/w horsetail,coltsfoot and Nettle leaves.
    My own homemade mixtures
    BlackStrap Molasses

http://public.fotki.com/mj11051
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    If you don't mind the smell, I just use the store brand white vinegar in the gallon jugs! So cheap they practically pay me to take it home.
  • teshonteshon Registered Users Posts: 1,127
    To cone or not to cone? That is the question. lol. I choose to cone sometimes. I don't get crazy with it, but some of my absolute faves have a cone in them. Here's where the problem lies, if you cone, you can't co-wash it out unless it's water soluble. If you're a person that thrives on 2nd, 3rd day hair this can be problematic for you. You can't pile these products in your hair a fews days at a time without washing it out. Your just asking for it. I experience the least amount of build-up from these type products than perse a "natural" hair styler. I had never experienced so much dryness, residue and cottage cheese with products in my life until I started experimenting with natural haircare. I think that the use of "cone" products are ok within limits and shouldn't be thought of as prohibited. It's a matter of knowing how to use them, IMO. ITA-with foxycus02.
    3c-4a; Protein Sensitive(forms of wheat, keratin, soy and anything "hydrolyzed"). My hair hates coconut oil and jojoba oil(sometimes).
    http://photobucket.com/teshon PW: crazycurls
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/teshonandfamily
    celeste821 wrote: »
    hair malaria.

LOL what?

lololol some people on the board wont touch them w a 10 foot pole but come they work well for lots of people.

comic-p.jpg

I guess that comment is objective because alot of the pro products that people use advertise just about as much as Aubrey or Giovanni..i.e: Kenra, Salerm, Alter Ego, TIGI and a myriad of others.
    I think the point here is if it works for you. It works for you. I need to use shampoos with "gentle detergents" because when I don't my scalp suffers and I shed ALOT..versus 2 or 3 strands when I use a good shampoo.
    And yes I've tried vinegar, baking soda, the works.

comic-p.jpg
    teshon wrote: »
    To cone or not to cone? That is the question. lol. I choose to cone sometimes. I don't get crazy with it, but some of my absolute faves have a cone in them. Here's where the problem lies, if you cone, you can't co-wash it out unless it's water soluble. If you're a person that thrives on 2nd, 3rd day hair this can be problematic for you. You can't pile these products in your hair a fews days at a time without washing it out. Your just asking for it. I experience the least amount of build-up from these type products than perse a "natural" hair styler. I had never experienced so much dryness, residue and cottage cheese with products in my life until I started experimenting with natural haircare. I think that the use of "cone" products are ok within limits and shouldn't be thought of as prohibited. It's a matter of knowing how to use them, IMO. ITA-with foxycus02.

Teshon I have to second this! I can pull out a list of "natural" haircare thats Trash! lolololol. But its all in the name of trial and error. I haven't found a product I can pile on for 2nd or 3rd day hair. Its either I wake up w workable hair or cowash lol

comic-p.jpg
  • teshonteshon Registered Users Posts: 1,127

I guess that comment is objective because alot of the pro products that people use advertise just about as much as Aubrey or Giovanni..i.e: Kenra, Salerm, Alter Ego, TIGI and a myriad of others. I think the point here is if it works for you. It works for you. I need to use shampoos with "gentle detergents" because when I don't my scalp suffers and I shed ALOT..versus 2 or 3 strands when I use a good shampoo.
    And yes I've tried vinegar, baking soda, the works.

Amen to that! I've tried shampooing twice a month to see how that would work. My hair would shed quite a bit. Not by the handful, but enough. Then I tried co-washing twice a week and shampooing at the end of the week with a "mild" detergent and it stopped shedding. My scalp can't take the conditioner build-up and my drain can't either! lol. I keep my co-washing at a minimum and damp style. At the end of the week I've pushed my hair to it's limit, and need to shampoo to remove the gunk and let my scalp breath! My curls perk up and are happy. :) The "natural" clarifying detergents(ACV), no poo or low poo don't do(hey, that rhymes. lol) what a "real" shampoo does for me. My hair is a more squeaky clean with the other products than a gentle shampoo. Again, formulation is the key. And as foxy said, trial and error.
    3c-4a; Protein Sensitive(forms of wheat, keratin, soy and anything "hydrolyzed"). My hair hates coconut oil and jojoba oil(sometimes).
    http://photobucket.com/teshon PW: crazycurls
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/teshonandfamily
    The "natural" clarifying detergents(ACV), no poo or low poo don't do(hey, that rhymes. lol) what a "real" shampoo does for me. My hair is a more squeaky clean with the other products than a gentle shampoo.

Same for my hair...The baking soda treatment actually scared me.

comic-p.jpg
  • lovinmylocslovinmylocs Registered Users Posts: 137
    I agree with foxy on the cones. When I first took out my braids from the transition and right after my bc I was anti cone. I read about all of the horrors of it and I was determined that I wouldn't put it on my hair. It just doesn't work for me - some of the stuff that I stil have that are no cone are at best - crap. Its about what works for you. I need to poo every now and then - my hair gets gunky no matter how much I co-wash or how hard. It's gross when you washed your hair that morning and your scalp has a film on it that makes you itch like you have lice - maybe not that bad but bad enough. (I'm guessing that is all of the condish that I can't get out with all of my co-washing.)

Also I wear make up and what not and many of the brands that I love and won't live without have cones. If I'll put it on my face why won't I put it on my dead hair? But to each his or her own.
    http://public.fotki.com/lovinmylocs/
    pass: nappy
    Scared of the big chop...nah - I chopped it off on 12.21.07
    I think I've found my HG and routine but I'm still looking for my hair twin.
    Hey twin are you out there...
    HG: Elucence MBS, VO5 Vitaburst - Grapefruit Mandarin Splash, Tigi Control Serum
    Products up for Audition: Jessicurl Too Shea, Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment and Re:Coil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file