white highlighting powder

BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
I like to watch TLC's "What Not to Wear." The makeup artist, Carmindy, normally uses a highlighting powder on the inner corner of the eyes where they meet the nose. Does anyone have a suggestion for a highlighter like that?

thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Frizz Happens!
my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I have 2 white highliters that are part of quad eye shadows I bought. I also have a Chanel White Eyeliner that I use when I want matt instead of shimmer. I've seen it as a single colour shadow also if you don't want to buy a quad to get. Think it was Mabelline or Revlon.

And Carmindy is SO the reason I use it now. :laughing6:
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    i just use a white shimmery eyeshadow...I think it's Maybelline.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Brio wrote: »
    I like to watch TLC's "What Not to Wear." The makeup artist, Carmindy, normally uses a highlighting powder on the inner corner of the eyes where they meet the nose. Does anyone have a suggestion for a highlighter like that?

thanks!

does she do this on the top corner and the lower corner of the eye? i've seen that on some models in ads. i like to look at makeup on folks and imagine if i could emulate it. that sounds like a neat look. in ads it looks like its top and bottom.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • SadeckiSadecki Posts: 126Registered Users
    I use Laura Mercier's rice powder and dab it in the corner of my eyes.

Sometimes I think you need to be careful of how white and bold of a product you are applying because it can accentuate dark circles under the eyes (which I have).
    In Other Worlds, they Call me Taliska
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    she doesn't necessarily use white powder, just a light shade of softly shimmering (not frosted) eye shadow. white can be way too harsh for most people.

Stila Kitten is the one i recommend to people - it's creamy and a sort of pink-peach shade.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    rouquinne wrote: »
    she doesn't necessarily use white powder, just a light shade of softly shimmering (not frosted) eye shadow. white can be way too harsh for most people.

Stila Kitten is the one i recommend to people - it's creamy and a sort of pink-peach shade.

I just got that color (stila Kitten) because of roquinne's suggestion. It's the perfect color for that dark corner between the nose and the eye!! You can "try it on" first at Sephora if you live near one. Or, Ulta sells it - but I'm not sure if you can try the color first at Ulta. Looking at the shade in the tin, I wasn't sure it would be light enough, but it's perfect!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I tried a couple of different whites last night after reading this thread. I do like how this looks when Carmindy does it and when I see it in mags but it was too severe for me when I tried it last night. I have some subtler shadows that I could try. Does anyone have application tips that they could post? What's the right way to do this?
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    hmkenny wrote: »
    I tried a couple of different whites last night after reading this thread. I do like how this looks when Carmindy does it and when I see it in mags but it was too severe for me when I tried it last night. I have some subtler shadows that I could try. Does anyone have application tips that they could post? What's the right way to do this?
    \

I do use white but I think it looks ok because of my colouring and I use it very sparingly. I take my crease brush put it in the shadow, tap off most then apply at the corner and browbone. I blend a lot to get rid of most of the starkness so it truly just is a highlighter. Note: I usually do this with no bottom eyeliner. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I've tried the pink ones and I can't seem to keep from looking like I have really red rimmed eyes. I tried gold yesterday but also used as part of a bottom liner so it's more noticeable in general.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks, whatshercurl. I'll have to experiment some more.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity

that's why i tell people to use another colour:

MAC Naked Lunch
    Stila Kitten
    NARS Night Star

or MAC pigment in Naked (nearly invisible, but softly shimmering beige white). today i'm using MAC Gold Mode pigment.

the simplest thing is to dip the end of a q-tip in the shadow and dot it right above the inside corner of your eye.

i'm a very pale person (wear the lightest shade of foundation MAC makes), so i'm hoping some curlies with darker skin tones could make recs for highlighters.
    My blog:

that's why i tell people to use another colour:

MAC Naked Lunch
    Stila Kitten
    NARS Night Star

or MAC pigment in Naked (nearly invisible, but softly shimmering beige white). today i'm using MAC Gold Mode pigment.

the simplest thing is to dip the end of a q-tip in the shadow and dot it right above the inside corner of your eye.

i'm a very pale person (wear the lightest shade of foundation MAC makes), so i'm hoping some curlies with darker skin tones could make recs for highlighters.

rou what do you think about arena? that's the shade that looks good for me on the lower lid or even under the brow...i never do the corner highlight but i might start
    a satin finish like the one on Arena might not work as a highlighter. what about a velvet if you don't want to use a frost? Texture is peachy-brown like Arena.
    My blog:

• merebearmerebear Posts: 190Registered Users
    I just use an off-white pearl eyeshadow over a small dab of either vitamin e oil or that "non-petroleum jelly" found at the health food store. That way it never cakes because I don't wear makeup.
    Using the brightner under the brow and in the corners of the eyes makes such a huge difference!
    MereBear
    2B-2C - very wavy with loose ringlets

:wav:
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    Thanks for the suggestions, all. I wish I did have an Ulta or Sephora close to me. (then again, maybe it's a good thing I don't. I'd spend way too much $$$$!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
    a satin finish like the one on Arena might not work as a highlighter. what about a velvet if you don't want to use a frost? Texture is peachy-brown like Arena.

rou what about ricepaper or motif or all that glitters on me? i think ricepaper is too light for my all over lid but using it in this way and maybe under the brow might work.
    i think All That Glitters would be nicer than the other two - you might find them to be REALLY light. do you have, or have you looked at, Mythology?

i just LOVE that colour!!!

for everyone else, here's some more lovely highlight shades:

Benefit has several pencils designed for highlighting - Eye Bright, Mr. Frosty, Gilded

MAC - Shroom, Brule, Orb, Jest

Stila (in addition to Kitten) - Moonlight (if you really want to use white, this is a good choice), Starlight, Twilight (a lovely dove grey)

Milani - (supposedly they make knock-offs of MAC) Peachy Peach, Moonlight, Classic Beige, Almondine, Pink-a-Dilly

Avon - Rich Cream, Iced Silver, White Pearl, Shell

Revlon Diamond Lust - White Hot, Champagne Buzz
    My blog:

i was looking at jest but i actually got naked lunch too. it is LIGHT but it works with complete eyeshadow, etc...

btw, i was reading a review from a local makeup artist that has been in the biz for years. she was saying that instead of cream/gel liners or pencils you should take the time to apply powder as eyeliner....i tried it with carbon and it was nice....
    ^^^ yes, i use powder with an angle brush as liner on my upper eye lid.

Carbon is too dark for me, but i use Mystery, Showstopper and Dark Edge (from the Naturals collection in January).
    My blog:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file