Severe shed hair SOS - anyone else dealing with this?

SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
I'm having severe shed from the roots every time I wash, 2-3 times what usually sheds. It's been going on for 6-8 weeks now, so this is a lot of hair to lose and I'm scared. I'm starting to shampoo with Chagrin Valley soaps in the theory that maybe co-washing is plugging up my hair pores (although my scalp always feels clean). Anyone else dealing with this and what do you do? Suggestions welcome.

PS - The other think I haven't done in a while is work out.

Here's a photo of what shed today. I shampooed roots with Chagrin Valley Neem and Tea tree. Last co-wash/shampoo was 5 days ago.

IMG_2530-vi.jpg?1203882563
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Comments

• Hairblogger â„¢Hairblogger â„¢ Registered Users Posts: 564
    Sometimes due to stress or hormonal changes, we do/can shed more than others, but I with shedding from the root like that, I would say see your dermatologist to be on the safe side to make sure it isn't auto-immuno related... good luck!
    'Goddess Hair & Skin Recipe Book' devotee 4life!

Co-Wash: Aubrey O. HoneySuckleRose Cond.
    Poo: 1-2x ~monthly~ w/AO 'poo+Baking Soda
    DT: Honey + any Aubrey Condish
    Leave-Ins: Sheamoisture / RJML Cactus / KBBmilk!

[/COLOR]
  • missmoniemissmonie Registered Users Posts: 920
    Good luck SBB! I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to send you some good vibes.

I've been shedding that much too and I know that I am indeed overly stressed and overwhelmed these days. on top of the hair shedding, my edges are thinning which is the strangest thing ever. I think I may need to start shampooing my scalp more too. I also want to try bentonite clay to pull out the impurities.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    i think you need a dermatologist too...i'm sorry you're going through this. i know it's stressful (which probably makes it worse)....i know you're into whole body care...try meditating and calming yourself too...

keep using your good products too....if the doc rules out anything maybe you should consider aromatherapy too...

please keep us posted on what you find out.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Have you tried any new products in the past 5 weeks? I know you're a PJ and I'm wondering if your hair is having a reaction to a particular product. Do you think you might need a protein treatment? And lastly, I think you should see a dermatologist if this keeps happening. *hugz*
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• untamedcurliegirluntamedcurliegirl Registered Users Posts: 8
    It is really scary when this happens. I just went through this myself, but I know that it was directly related to moving to a drier climate and stress. Still, knowing that didn't make it any less scary when it was happening. I was losing a lot of hair whenever I washed it and it was dry and brittle. Before I did my recent BC, I did the stinky Aphogee treatment and began using the Frederick Fekkai Leave-In Protein treatment and that stopped the shedding for me and restored the moisture and health to my hair. I agree with the other posters that you might want to consider seeing a doctor just to make sure nothing is wrong internally. But maybe these products could help in the interim. I hope everything works out and it is nothing serious.
    3C-4A Newly BCed Curly Gurly

http://public.fotki.com/Untamedcurlz
    www.myspace.com/bellanica

I tried following the rules and when that didn' t work, I did it my way!
  • foxycus02foxycus02 Registered Users Posts: 918
    Hey SBB,

Don't be scared! I would only go to a dermatologist if I started seeing bald spots. I went through that same thing which was super scary for me because I only shed 5 or 6 strands, if that when I detangle.
    At the time I was cowashing, and shampooing with Gio 50/50. My scalp felt clean, nothing stopped the shedding. I also tried baking soda treatment and nothing. Until, I shampooed with a clarifying shampoo. And on that wash I considerably shed less. And it hasnt been a problem ever again.
    That's alot of hair in your palm especially if its not typical for your hair to shed like that.

PS- My shedding was from the scalp as well. At first I thought that maybe Cassia/Henna was speeding up my hair cycle :thumbdown:

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg
  • Flower princessFlower princess Registered Users Posts: 608
    Oh!I hope every thing's gonna be all right.I made a research just for you :) and i found this hope it helps u !

You must understand that because shedding is a natural, internal process, it may not respond to topical, external treatments. Some have praised garlic shampoos or "garlic scalp rubs" for reducing shedding, but there has been no clear consensus on the effectiveness of garlic as a remedy for shedding. Shedding is also not easily solved by protein or moisture treatments because it has nothing to do with the hair shaft itself, but is a response to hormonal influences on the hair follicle and is dependent on growth cycles. When a hair completes its life cycle, which generally last s 4-6 years, its final act is the shedding we experience. This cannot be prevented.

Also, our hair naturally cycles in and out of seasonal shedding phases which may last days or weeks at a time in some individuals. Research suggests that peak shedding rates occur during the fall season. A healthy head of hair may shed as many as 50- 100 hairs per day, though I personally believe this amount to be a grand stretch. You should be concerned if your shedding suddenly increases to a rate that was uncommon to you before, or if the shedding seems to be prolonged over the course of several weeks or months.

Do keep in mind that there are special periods in the human life cycle where shedding is naturally increased. For example, women who are undergoing a bout of postpartum shedding after having a baby may have to deal with increased shedding for several months until their normal hormone levels return. Other conditions which may increase your shedding rate are:

*styling methods that place stress on the follicles

*birth control/menstrual cycles/menopause

*pregnancy

*heredity (runs in the family)

*crash dieting/ low protein diets, poor diet

*illnesses with high fever as a prevailing symptom

*anemia, thyroid disorders, and a host of other chronic disorders

* certain medications and major surgeries and treatments like chemotherapy

Please consult with a medical professional to diagnose any prolonged, abnormal shedding or other unusual scalp conditions.

Good luck!!
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/
  • dsg-girlycurlydsg-girlycurly Registered Users Posts: 343
    If I were you I would see a dermatologist or at least speak to your primary care physician about the excessive shedding. It'll probably take a few weeks to even get in to see the doctor and chances are if it's just a temporary phase you're going through and it passes you won't need the appointment.......but if it continues (and it probably won't), you won't have to wait on a doctor's appointment while the shedding problem progresses to the point of visible thin spots.

Just to be on the safe side I would make an appointment, it won't hurt and you can always cancel the appointment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4A&B -- Henna and the entire Essential Balms product line; lately Carol's Daughter honey mimosa & black vanilla leave-in. Staple products are SheaMoisture, Aubrey Organics and Trader Joes Norish Spa conditioner, ACV and IC Fantasia Gel. I'm also Mixtress (I love making my own hair concoctions :glasses9:)

Be encouraged -- Cuzz Fuzz is what it Duzz!!

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/dsg373839/
  • TroDousTroDous Registered Users Posts: 241
    Hey lady! I'm having the same prob but mines I think is post-partum shedding. I don't really know what to do for it though. It's been 6 months now but my hair just started shedding a couple of months ago. I've heard that there is a garlic treatment that is supposed to work but I need to find more info on that.

I get just about that much (sometimes more) everytime I wash/co-wash/whatever.
    Coily, springy, major shrinkage!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Hey TroDous, nice to hear from you, and congratulations your baby! Seems like yesterday I learned you were pregnant, but I'm sure it seemed like 9 months to you LOL.

Claudie (the one who makes Claudie's Hair Revitalizer and other products) sent me a recipe for garlic treatment. I've been doing garlic treatments, but apparently haven't used enough. I think I will have to stink up the house LOL.

10 cloves of garlic pureed (I buy frozen crushed cubes from Trader Joes)
    Enough EVOO to make a paste
    Microwave a little (I think I would nuke the garlic sans oil to steam it a little, then add the oil)
    Put on hair leave on for an hour
    Rinse thoroughly and Febreze the house

I'm perimenopausal, actually may have hit menopause since my last period was November. So I too am going through hormone loss. I'm on hormone replacement therapy, but it may not be enough. Might be time to get my levels check. The other thing is in December I had a flu shot - maybe that had an effect who knows?
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
  • Hairblogger â„¢Hairblogger â„¢ Registered Users Posts: 564
    Hey SBB.

My Aunt is also menopausal, but I don't know if she's had any hair problems, but i know that anything that affects the hiormonal balance can also affect skin, weight and hair. So, it may be related to that condition.

If you normally shed very little or within the normal range and suddenly you finds yourself shedding much more or beyond what is normal, then you need to seek appropriate medical support. And it's important to see your doctor as soon as you notice something out of the ordinary, and not just if bald spots appear. that's like only going to the doctor if you actually can't breath and not when first feeling numbness (one of the the signs of a heart attack which may begin a few hours or days before a massive stroke)... I think that's one of the reasons men and ethnic patients don't get treated in time, because they don't go (to the doctor) when something's wrong. And don't involve themselves in a preventative care regimen (regular checkups).

I hope it's not serious and that it will calm down once your body/hormonal level is normalized.

but, see your doctor right away, I would suggest seeing, both, your internist And dermatologist.

good luck!
    'Goddess Hair & Skin Recipe Book' devotee 4life!

Co-Wash: Aubrey O. HoneySuckleRose Cond.
    Poo: 1-2x ~monthly~ w/AO 'poo+Baking Soda
    DT: Honey + any Aubrey Condish
    Leave-Ins: Sheamoisture / RJML Cactus / KBBmilk!

[/COLOR]
  • teshonteshon Registered Users Posts: 1,127
    Sorry about your hair. Hope it gets better! Keep us posted after your visit to the doctor.
    3c-4a; Protein Sensitive(forms of wheat, keratin, soy and anything "hydrolyzed"). My hair hates coconut oil and jojoba oil(sometimes).
    http://photobucket.com/teshon PW: crazycurls
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/teshonandfamily
  • lovinmylocslovinmylocs Registered Users Posts: 137
    Hi SBB,

I just want to add that I remember when my mother went through menopause she had lots of hair loss. Enough to make her stress over it (which didn't help) and she wasn't on hormone replacement therapy. It's probably hormone related but it's good to go to the dr. and check on these things.
    http://public.fotki.com/lovinmylocs/
    pass: nappy
    Scared of the big chop...nah - I chopped it off on 12.21.07
    I think I've found my HG and routine but I'm still looking for my hair twin.
    Hey twin are you out there...
    HG: Elucence MBS, VO5 Vitaburst - Grapefruit Mandarin Splash, Tigi Control Serum
    Products up for Audition: Jessicurl Too Shea, Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment and Re:Coil
    Thanks SBB! It did feel like I was pregnant forever....but now she's growing so fast :(

That garlic treatment sounds a bit stinky...lol. i found thishttp://www.amazon.com/QUEEN-HELENE-GARLIC-SHAMPOO-UNSCENTED/dp/B000AD1Y48

I also found that taking biotin and silica are supposed to be helpful.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    I would suspect that any benefit from the chemical properties of garlic should be greatly reduced using frozen or jarred. (Including flavor when eating it.)

I have always wondered why the jarred garlic seems so flavorless and all you can taste is the citric acid or whatever it is they use as a preservative. Finally, Alton Brown was kind enough to explain it to me.

A clove of garlic, like a lot of alive stuff, consists of distinct cells. But in garlic, one cell is full of one chemical and one cell is full of a different chemical. The properties of garlic actually don't exist until these two chemicals are mixed, which happens when you mince or slice or crush it. The mixing results in the creation of a new compound, which tastes and smells like what we know as garlic. But, it's tenuous and doesn't stick around in storage too well after a few days. Which is a bummer since it's kind of a pain to prep all the time.
    I would suspect that any benefit from the chemical properties of garlic should be greatly reduced using frozen or jarred. (Including flavor when eating it.)
    Yes, jarred garlic is no good. The frozen garlic I get has no preservatives; it's just fresh garlic pureed and put into cubes; it's just as stinky and potent as the stuff in the clove. But I did buy a bulb of garlic today. What I will do is microwave it in the bulb until soft, then squeeze out the cloves and puree them before adding oil. It think that may help get the stink down.

The Queen Helene shampoos is being used by the garlic aficionados on the BHM board, but it's a sulfate I think. I can't use it. I'm using Chagrin Valley soap samples - neem and tea tree. I've shampooed twice in a week instead of co-washing, and my hair isn't dried out at all; these are great soaps. They have shampoo bars, but recommend for dry hair that needs more moisture to try the soaps because they actually have more oil.

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/

It's also time for me to color. I may do a henna or cassia strand test. I guess it could be worse, my hair could be breaking off, but it's actually quite resilient for fine hair.
    comic-p.jpg

Hm, the TJ garlic sounds awesome, perhaps I will check it out for eating.

I have hennaed twice in the last week. From blonde lol, big color change. I love it BTW.

I love the conditioning benefits, but I have a couple of warnings.

I have to clarify first with some sort of acid rinse, or I'm afraid it won't penetrate. This step may be skippable, but I don't know yet.

The process of applying a ton of heavy mud, leaving it on forever, and then rinsing like you never rinsed before may not be the best thing for if you are super worried about loss. I think it caused me to lose a few more hairs than a usual day, but I don't lose much to start with and the conditioning benefits far outweighed any loss, for me.

The good news is, in Catherine's mix, she describes using 100% lemon juice as the liquid to mix the henna. I've tried both that, and the splash of lemon juice and the rest water. The former was very drying, the latter not. There were equal dying and conditioning properties, so I'd go with the splash of acid and the rest water.

If you decide to henna or cassia, make sure to moisture treat after.

How long have you been using products with neem and tea tree? I know these do not agree with some people.
  • blackhoney112blackhoney112 Registered Users Posts: 126
    Sorry to hear that you are dealing with increased shedding...looks like you've gotten really good advise the only thing I will add is to try a Shikakai rinse. I buy Skikakai powder from the Indian store put it in a coffe filter and tie it then I boil it in a pot for like 30-45 min....use the "tea" as a shampoo or final rinse of your hair. My shedding decreased so much do this herb. HTH :iconbiggrin:

I'm having severe shed from the roots every time I wash, 2-3 times what usually sheds. It's been going on for 6-8 weeks now, so this is a lot of hair to lose and I'm scared. I'm starting to shampoo with Chagrin Valley soaps in the theory that maybe co-washing is plugging up my hair pores (although my scalp always feels clean). Anyone else dealing with this and what do you do? Suggestions welcome.

PS - The other think I haven't done in a while is work out.

Here's a photo of what shed today. I shampooed roots with Chagrin Valley Neem and Tea tree. Last co-wash/shampoo was 5 days ago.

IMG_2530-vi.jpg?1203882563
    3c/4a
    Transitioning
    Following C&G method
    Fav products: Kenra MC, Misskey 10en1, VO5 moisturemilks, ACV rinses, Rhassoul clay & WGO
    pw: Romeo
    My hair album
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    TroDous wrote: »
    Hey lady! I'm having the same prob but mines I think is post-partum shedding. I don't really know what to do for it though. It's been 6 months now but my hair just started shedding a couple of months ago. I've heard that there is a garlic treatment that is supposed to work but I need to find more info on that.

I get just about that much (sometimes more) everytime I wash/co-wash/whatever.

trodous, it is post partum shedding more than likely.

mine happened at the 3-month mark both times. and just before the shedding started, my scalp became really tender to the touch. and within a day or so, i could literally gently tug at my hair and several strands would fall out, bulb intact. the majority of the shedding was at my forehead hairline, which made me look like dracula, if you can imagine an extreme widow's peak! :sad7:

there is nothing you can do to stop the shedding. it's just going to run its course until all the hair that would normally have shed during pregnancy has all fallen out. until then, you can at least soothe your scalp like i did with warmed jojoba oil. this made my tender scalp feel better. the shedding, i think, lasted a couple of weeks, and my new growth came back like downy baby hair!

good luck and glad to see you back!
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
    How long have you been using products with neem and tea tree? I know these do not agree with some people.

Just got a sample soap last week.
    comic-p.jpg

Ah, I don't suppose that would be the cause, then.
    rainshower wrote: »

mine happened at the 3-month mark both times. and just before the shedding started, my scalp became really tender to the touch. and within a day or so, i could literally gently tug at my hair and several strands would fall out, bulb intact. the majority of the shedding was at my forehead hairline, which made me look like dracula, if you can imagine an extreme widow's peak! :sad7:

there is nothing you can do to stop the shedding. it's just going to run its course until all the hair that would normally have shed during pregnancy has all fallen out. until then, you can at least soothe your scalp like i did with warmed jojoba oil. this made my tender scalp feel better. the shedding, i think, lasted a couple of weeks, and my new growth came back like downy baby hair!

Hey rainshower!:wave: My hair has been shedding strong for a while now... I wonder if it is still pp or turning into something else now. I haven't been taking my vits. I haven't had any scalp tenderness either, just never-ending shedding.
    I think things are getting a little better. The last 2 times I shampooed I didn't get as much shed, about 1/2 as much as in the photo. The 2 things I'm doing differently are garlic and shampooing frequently with Chagrin Valley, so I'll keep up those 2. I also did a protein treatment today with Sebastien Penetrait. It's exactly 6 weeks from the last one, maybe I should do them more often? But my hair's not breaking, thank God. I would also like to try that Massey brown sugar scrub co-wash.
    comic-p.jpg

• rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    TroDous wrote: »
    rainshower wrote: »

Hey rainshower!:wave: My hair has been shedding strong for a while now... I wonder if it is still pp or turning into something else now. I haven't been taking my vits. I haven't had any scalp tenderness either, just never-ending shedding.

the duration is different with everyone. the worst of my shedding was about 2 weeks, with a couple more weeks of slight shedding before it stopped or at least lessened to a degree that was no longer noticeable.

some women experience it more than once: once around the 3-4 month mark post partum, after ceasing breastfeeding, and when their periods return.

i'd just be gentle with your scalp right now by not wearing too-tight pony tails or other styles that put stress on your scalp. maybe loose, medium-size 2-strands.

good luck. i know this isn't a fun stage.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • freshkinkycutfreshkinkycut Registered Users Posts: 111
    I know your hair is not beaking off but I used Aphogee to stop my hair shedding....worked the first time.

The product is called: http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/product_view.php?itemCode=NHPB220107KE0230

Here are some FAQs about it: http://www.aphogee.com/ask.cfm

Follow up with a deep conditioning regimen similar to what you would do after using henna. This product is also very very drying but it works like magic!
    Hairveda convert for 2009! :wave:
    http://public.fotki.com/freshkinkycut/

event.png

comic-p.jpg
  • JuanitaJuanita Registered Users Posts: 27
    I washed my hair yesterday. During detangling, I shed at least twice as much hair as I usually do. The hairball was somewhat larger than the photo posted by suburbanbushbabe. Most of the hairstrands were entire strands, not broken ends.

I was freaking out, looking for a possible culprit: was I too harsh with my hair? Did I wait too long to wash/detangle (1 week since last wash/detangle)? Was I using a bad product? Could the end of summer with colder days happening lately in my area have anything to do with it? Am I not eating right?

Seeing my hair accumulating down the drain made me realize how I take my curls for granted sometimes!

I came here looking for answers and advice. I might try the garlic recipe posted earlier. Just reading through other people's comments calmed my nerves. I will give it a bit more time before going into a full-fledge panic, since it might just be a temporary thing, and things might get back in order in a few days. I hope!
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    Juanita wrote: »
    I came here looking for answers and advice. I might try the garlic recipe posted earlier. Just reading through other people's comments calmed my nerves. I will give it a bit more time before going into a full-fledge panic, since it might just be a temporary thing, and things might get back in order in a few days. I hope!

Ya, the shedding is cyclical. For the last 2 years in a row I've gone through excessive shedding once spring gives way to summer. Just crazy amounts of hair. I was getting very disturbed at the daily amount but I remember my hair didn't grow very much from Jan. to about May. so maybe it was a dormant phase and now a new growing cyle is beginning.

I did incorporate extra conditioning into my routine to cope - I always need to shampoo but followed with a cheap watery condish mixed with FSG and then followed that with a high quality condish. I wanted no tangles whatsoever and it worked. :smile: I still had shedding but less.

Eta: My shedding lasted about 4 weeks.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • Flower princessFlower princess Registered Users Posts: 608
    Juanita wrote: »
    I washed my hair yesterday. During detangling, I shed at least twice as much hair as I usually do. The hairball was somewhat larger than the photo posted by suburbanbushbabe. Most of the hairstrands were entire strands, not broken ends.

I was freaking out, looking for a possible culprit: was I too harsh with my hair? Did I wait too long to wash/detangle (1 week since last wash/detangle)? Was I using a bad product? Could the end of summer with colder days happening lately in my area have anything to do with it? Am I not eating right?

Seeing my hair accumulating down the drain made me realize how I take my curls for granted sometimes!

It is probably seasonal shedding for more infro read this:http://www.keratin.com/aa/aa015.shtml

http://www.hairinformation.com/hair-growth/hair-re-growth.shtml

i wouldn't be worried if thinning doesn't occurs and stops after some weeks.
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    Oh no, SBB! Sorry to hear you are going through this. The only advice I can offer is the TJ's garlic pills - I take 2 a day. My hair has started shedding more since I began using Mega Tek, but it's not as bad as some have reported, and I think it's b/c I have been taking garlic pills consistently since I BC'ed in Dec.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ellepixie wrote: »
    Oh no, SBB! Sorry to hear you are going through this. The only advice I can offer is the TJ's garlic pills - I take 2 a day. My hair has started shedding more since I began using Mega Tek, but it's not as bad as some have reported, and I think it's b/c I have been taking garlic pills consistently since I BC'ed in Dec.
    This is a 2-year old thread. I'm good for now.
    comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file