Why is it so hard to wear protective styles?

keke28keke28 Registered Users Posts: 135
is it just me or do others have a hard time wearing their hair in protective styles? I always say that I am going to wear my hair in two strand twists, or coils, but the next day I just end up taking them out and wearing my hair out. I read somewhere that wearing protective styles more will keep the hair more healthy especially in the winter but I just can't seem to do it....:cry:

For those of you that do wear protective styles what are your favorite ones, and how long do you keep them in your hair?

Comments

• missmoniemissmonie Registered Users Posts: 920
    I really like coilouts and two strand twists and when I have the energy to spend 3 hours doing the style, I keep it for about one week. the only reason that I don't wear them more often is because my SO doesn't really like my hair twisted or in coils.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • keke28keke28 Registered Users Posts: 135
    missmonie wrote: »
    I really like coilouts and two strand twists and when I have the energy to spend 3 hours doing the style, I keep it for about one week. the only reason that I don't wear them more often is because my SO doesn't really like my hair twisted or in coils.

I really love the way your twist outs look, mine don't seem to look as defined, but maybe that is because I don't keep them in that long....:confused:
    keke28 wrote: »

I really love the way your twist outs look, mine don't seem to look as defined, but maybe that is because I don't keep them in that long....:confused:

thanks! my twistout pics are from twists left in over night so you should be able to get the same effect. i think the trick is making sure you twist your hair pretty tightly and use a good setting or holding product.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
    missmonie wrote: »

thanks! my twistout pics are from twists left in over night so you should be able to get the same effect. i think the trick is making sure you twist your hair pretty tightly and use a good setting or holding product.

I have been using BB Curls Styling Butter and some Fantasia IC the blue kind, what do you use?
    i use curl styling butter for twists as well when i want to leave them in for a week. for a twist out, i've tried Fantasia Gel (clear) Giovanni Mousse and Miss Jessie's [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Meringue-p-576.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-meringue]Curly Meringue[/buylink] (great hold, but lots of mineral oil). i also get good results when i do flat twists instead of individual twists.

comic-p.jpg
  • maracasbeachmaracasbeach Registered Users Posts: 310
    I wear my hair in 2 strand twists for 2 weeks at a time. I find this easier than wearing my hair out because then I can leave my hair alone. I tend not to like to manipulate/style my hair on a daily basis. In the warmer months I tend to wear my hair out more often.
    I wear my hair in 2 strand twists for 2 weeks at a time. I find this easier than wearing my hair out because then I can leave my hair alone. I tend not to like to manipulate/style my hair on a daily basis. In the warmer months I tend to wear my hair out more often.

Yeah you're right it is much easier and it makes sense to wear it like that instead of having to do your hair everyday. I think I just have to much time on my hands since I'm not working right now, and I think I have hand-in-fro issues....
  • celeste821celeste821 Registered Users Posts: 348 Curl Neophyte
    is it just me or do others have a hard time wearing their hair in protective styles? I always say that I am going to wear my hair in two strand twists, or coils, but the next day I just end up taking them out and wearing my hair out. I read somewhere that wearing protective styles more will keep the hair more healthy especially in the winter but I just can't seem to do it....:cry:

For those of you that do wear protective styles what are your favorite ones, and how long do you keep them in your hair?
    I read somewhere that wearing protective styles more will keep the hair more healthy especially in the winter

Thats funny I read some where that protective styles were drying.
    celeste821 wrote: »

I read somewhere that wearing protective styles more will keep the hair more healthy especially in the winter

Maybe it just depends on who you ask...
  • celeste821celeste821 Registered Users Posts: 348 Curl Neophyte
    celeste821 wrote: »

Maybe it just depends on who you ask...

Yeah, that's why if it sounds right to you you just have to try it and see if it works for you

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file