Brushing your baby's teeth (Help...)

Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
I've been trying to brush my 13 going on 14 month old infant's teeth for a while now and I'm still having trouble. Basically, she really likes it when I brush her top teeth and she seems to take it well (probably b/c she likes the taste of the toothpaste), but anyway, whenever I try to move her tongue out of the way to brush her bottom teeth, she gets upset. She even cried today.

As long as I let her keep her tongue in the way, she won't put up a fuss and she'll continue to enjoy getting her teeth brushed. But...there's no point in trying to brush those bottom teeth if she's going to keep her tongue in the way.

So...what's the best way to handle this? Should I wait until she's old enough to have a better understanding of how her teeth should be brushed? Or, should I continue to try to work on getting those bottom teeth brushed?

Comments

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    My daughter used to be the reverse of yours...hated getting her uppers brushed. I tried another brand of toothbrush (it has Elmo on it!) and now I have no problems. Maybe if you can find one that has a cute design that she's distracted by, it might work for her.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    My daughter used to be the reverse of yours...hated getting her uppers brushed. I tried another brand of toothbrush (it has Elmo on it!) and now I have no problems. Maybe if you can find one that has a cute design that she's distracted by, it might work for her.

Thanks...I'll try that since I have another brand new toothbrush, although the one I'm using has a pretty cute Baby Einsteins design on it. If all else fails, I'm wondering if I can wash and disinfect my hands and try using my finger until she's ready to clear her tongue out of the way for a toothbrush down there?? (but, I'm not sure if that would be sanitary though, even after washing my hands....)
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I don't know either....DS doesn't mind having his (4) teeth brushed, but then he just wants to bite and play with the toothbrush. I guess that's not so bad.

I haven't been using toothpaste with him, just water. What kind and how much do you use?
    ehLB.jpg
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm using some Baby Einstein toothpaste and just a little dab...maybe the size of half a pea. She likes it. I also used the Grins and Giggles kind (I think it was made by Gerber) and she liked that too, but she hated the toothbrush that came with it. She likes to bite the brush, too. I just make sure that I brush her teeth well before she plays; otherwise, I can't get her to let me have the brush back!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use orajel training toothpaste with thomas the train on it (that part is VERY important). Our main problem is the biting and playing. I have found if we let the brush their own teeth (play) first, then just finish them off when we had enough then that helps a lot with the resisting. And they've actually gotten really good at brushing their own teeth.
    I'm using the Grins & Giggles toothpaste, but not the toothbrush that came with it since it somehow got misplaced. However, since she's over a year old I would have figured that the Baby Einstein toothbrush should be fine since it's meant for her age. She really likes the toothpaste and her face lights up when I'm ready to brush her teeth....the problem is just that she keeps putting her tongue in the way over those bottom teeth. I looks like she'll do that when I stick anything in her mouth that isn't food.

Hmmm...maybe it's b/c she's teething in the area of her bottom teeth and it just hurts her there more? (in fact, I do clearly see new teeth growing in down there unlike the area near her top teeth....)
    Cympreni, when did your kid(s) first learn to brush their own teeth? BTW, your avatar had me thinking I'm going cross-eyed for a moment there!!
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Paula wrote: »
    BTW, your avatar had me thinking I'm going cross-eyed for a moment there!!

Me too!
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    A couple of things that helped make tooth brushing my daughter's teeth easier:

-Turning her so she faced the mirror and could see herself getting her teeth brushed
    -Having her see me or my husband brush our teeth
    -Pretending to brush the teeth of her baby doll and then having her take turns to get her teeth brushed
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Paula wrote: »
    Cympreni, when did your kid(s) first learn to brush their own teeth? BTW, your avatar had me thinking I'm going cross-eyed for a moment there!!

Korbie just learned I'd say in the last 9 months, (he turned 2 in sept), Kade when he was around 3, give or take. Pretty much they wanted to do it, I didn't want one more thing to fight over, so I let them start. At first they were really bad at it, but they improved. I just made a big deal out of them being such big boys brushing their own teeth, and started showing them the proper way to brush. Then when I think they've done enough, then I finish them up by catching the places they missed, and a quick once over the places they did.

I do go through a lot of toothbrushes though, because of chewing on, and sometimes they sneak into the bathroom and take off with them.
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    I would brush the ones your DD does not like getting brushed first.

We have been brushing S's teeth 2 times a day since he popped his first, he did not like it so much at first, but LOVES it now (at 16 months).
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    brushing teeth = eating toothpaste in our house.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file