Try 11 Years of No Poo

'moptop''moptop' Posts: 438Registered Users
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"My favorite president is President Obama." ---six year old quoted by the Washington Post during a president Bush YMCA visit

Comments

• echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    Here's a good article I read today in the NY Times:
    Of Course I washed my hair...
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Interesting article. Going shampoo-less just makes sense to me. For centuries people didn't even have shampoo, but if you look at paintings of people from the Renaissance, their hair looks good. The natural oils are there for a reason, to moisturize and protect the hair, and to give it shine.

Shampoo dries up those natural oils, which causes the scalp to produce more oil. So a vicious cylce begins of oily scalp, shampoo, dry scalp, more oil, shampoo... If you throw hair products with silicones that are hard to remove into the mix, the cycle continues.

Of course for some people during puberty the oil production can go crazy, but shampooing even more can create that cyle. Water washing and gentle scrubbing of the scalp will cleanse the hair and distribute the oils down the hair shaft.

The 100 brushstrokes a day that girls and women practiced a century ago would have helped those natural oils protect the hair and add shine. Of course, brushing curly hair when it is dry wouldn't be a good idea, but brushing it when it's wet would get those oils down the length of the hair.

Anyways, that's my two cents worth! :compress: Moptop, are you still shampoo-free?
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • prettysinisterprettysinister Posts: 67Registered Users
    Maybe it's a little hypocritical to be grossed out by the first article, but... I am.

Going shampoo-less is one thing, but waterwashing just once every few months? Something I wouldn't admit to-- her hair doesn't "clean itself," and it's as unkempt and greasy-looking as when my teenage brother went through his long hair phase.:confused2:

She looks very dirty... which makes the whole article kind of look like a big joke on her :(

Edit: <a href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/archive/2006/06/15/i-never-wash-my-hair-and-it-s-as-soft-as-dog-fur-89520-17235266/">this article</a> mentions lice infestations on her kids, and her hair's 'dog fur' texture. Thank god for co-washes :)
  • MustangMamacitaMustangMamacita Posts: 7Registered Users
    Haha PrettySinister!!! I was thinking the same thing. Had she looked amazing, with luxurious hair, I might have considered doing it myself!!
    She must have to wash her pillowcases often
    Hair Type: 3B, Looking for new hair gel
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Not even water rinsing is... interesting. Doesn't her hair smell like whatever she was cooking?

Even the totally old school peeps went swimming once in a while.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file