Holy Deva Price Increase, Batman!

I know that it's not just here, but it appears that my favorite Devacurl line has gotten quite a bit more expensive lately - by quite a few dollars for each product. Since I use this stuff exclusively and buy quite a bit at once to be more economical, I find myself stalling on pushing that submit order button! :thumbdown:

First, has Deva Products done the high price increase across the board? And, second, what can I use to replace it, if I find I can no longer afford it. :cry: I have 3a hair w/ 3b tendancies (the more humidity in the air, the kinkier -- and less controllable -- my curls become). I already use a V05 conditioner to wash with daily (Low Poo once a week), One Condition daily.

Thanks so much for the help everyone (and Gretchen!). :wink:

Debbie
3a w/ 3b tendancies

Wash: Devacare's No Poo (daily) and Devacurl's Low Poo (once a week)
Condition: Devacurl's One Condition
Style: DevaCurl's Angell or MJ Curly Pudding

Comments

  • BamaCurlyQBamaCurlyQ Registered Users Posts: 213
    DebbieNY13 wrote: »
    I know that it's not just here, but it appears that my favorite Devacurl line has gotten quite a bit more expensive lately - by quite a few dollars for each product. Since I use this stuff exclusively and buy quite a bit at once to be more economical, I find myself stalling on pushing that submit order button! :thumbdown:

    First, has Deva Products done the high price increase across the board? And, second, what can I use to replace it, if I find I can no longer afford it. :cry: I have 3a hair w/ 3b tendancies (the more humidity in the air, the kinkier -- and less controllable -- my curls become). I already use a V05 conditioner to wash with daily (Low Poo once a week), One Condition daily.

    Thanks so much for the help everyone (and Gretchen!). :wink:

    Debbie

    I think I may have similar hair to yours. I use Organix Vanilla Silk shampoo about 1x a week, I use AOHR everytime I wash and then I always leave-in SheaM. For my gel, I use Sebastian Hi contrast and then I plop. I've had great results and if you are good at using the internet then you can always find deals on the products. The AOHR you can buy at your local health food store.
    HTH
    Very Curly and Thick hair.
    3a/b.
    I think I have medium hair with normal to high porosity. And I need all the moisture I can get!!

    Currently using:

    C: Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing
    S: Ouidad CQ/Pureology Hydrate

    LI: AG Fast Food

    Stylers: AG Re:coil (super soak), then CIAB and some CHS CK on top.

    **trying CCCC & Beuticurls LI

    Style: scrunch and finger curl where I see the hair is not clumping well. Diffuse.
  • MintMint Registered Users Posts: 1,143 Curl Neophyte
    Oh, geez! I just looked at the DevaCurl website and you're not kidding; the prices are ridiculous! I liked Angell and everything, but it's unlikely that I'll pay $17.95 for it. :angry7:

    Anyway, a good detangling (but not too moisturizing) conditioner is Suave coconut. Right now I'm searching for a heavier conditoner so I'm going to try AOHR soon. I use Organix shampoo for my cleanser every other day. As for a gel, got2b spiked up and Herbal Essences Body Envy have been my favorites.

    Good luck! :)
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I have a couple of unopened bottles of OneC I'm willing to sell for cheap. PM if interested.:)

  • rejoicingcurlygirlrejoicingcurlygirl Registered Users Posts: 654
    you should keep an eye on the swap board, sometimes you can get the products there.
    3A; I have HG products!
    Curl enhancer: Mop-C curl cream
    DT: Deva Heaven in Hair; JC WDT
    Gel: B&A; Arc Angel
    Conditioner: Deva OneC; JC too shea
    Frizz fighters: CK, JCS C&S
    PW: curlynow
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    We apologize for having to pass along this increase.
    Deva uses very high-quality ingredients in their products and has been under-charging, as I understand it. I think they're trying to catch up with what making the products actually costs.
    I know it's a bit of a hike, but at least you know you're getting well-made products.

    Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

    You are beautiful!
  • EndlessKhuEndlessKhu Registered Users Posts: 9
    This is really bad. I went to buy my products at two different stores and I turned around and did not buy anything. The increase is too much. I'm really upset because I've been using these products for a while now and love them, but sadly I'm going to have to find something else that won't be so ridiculously expensive.
    Long black 3B hair.
    Using DevaCurl products.
  • hmkennyhmkenny Registered Users Posts: 1,467 Curl Connoisseur
    Salonsavings.com has some cheap Deva products.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • kola626kola626 Registered Users Posts: 117
    I know what you mean DebbieNY13, I have to condition daily and using a product that cost a whole lot is not in my budget, so I was going to switch from Ouidad to DevaCurl but after looking at her prices, no way!! I am currently looking for other products that I can afford to buy more often since I have to condition everyday.

    Currently trying out : Trader Joe's Spa Conditioner , its kinda nice I'm not "WOW'd" about it but I am willing to finish the bottle before I judge it, since its $2.50 I want to give it some time to impress me!! :toothy7:

    Still searching for a leave-in conditioner to replace the Ouidad Balancing Rinse leave-in.

    Still looking for a cheaper: Leave-In Conditioner, Deep treatment.
    HairType: 3A & 3B Fine hair w/color.
    Shampoo: Giovanni TT Poo
    Condish: Suave Color Care
    Condish Method: HEHH
    DT: Virgin Coconut Oil
    My hair LOVES Proteins!!!!:wav:
    Love head massages
  • a_pala_pal Registered Users Posts: 1
    I too was dismayed to find that the Deva products I love had gotten considerably more expensive. I did some shopping around, and this website: www.cosmeticmagic.com has the best prices. Yay!
  • JLRcurlyJLRcurly Registered Users Posts: 245
    I know I love Deva's one C, low poo and Angell.

    I just save my Ulta coupons for when I need a bottle. and try to use what I have sparingly.

    Other products I use on my 3bs with good results are Suave Naturals, AOHR and FX Fixative Gel.
    JEN :hello2:3b, currently bored with my hair.
  • StruttsWifeStruttsWife Registered Users Posts: 819 Curl Neophyte
    Gretchen wrote: »
    We apologize for having to pass along this increase.
    Deva uses very high-quality ingredients in their products and has been under-charging, as I understand it. I think they're trying to catch up with what making the products actually costs.
    I know it's a bit of a hike, but at least you know you're getting well-made products.
    It is upsetting, but from what I understand, it was unavoidable ... they truly have been under-charging given the quality of their products.

    If you look at other salon professional products of the same caliber, like Goldwell or Alterna or Bumble & Bumble, you'll find it is not uncommon for these companies to be charging $30 or even $40 for the same type of product :shaking: Even with the price increase, Deva is still a great deal when it comes to high-grade professional products.
    - Tiffany
    Hair Stylist and Curly Hair Specialist - St. Petersburg, FL (Tampa Bay)

    Blog: Live Curly, Live Free
    Facebook fan page: Live Curly Live Free

    Sulfate- and non-water soluble silicone-free since 04/22/2002
    3B, brunette: medium texture, low porosity, high density

  • shellynotshellynot Registered Users Posts: 1,140
    eh, i haven't tried all the products, but i definitely wasn't impressed with one-c.
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album


    "Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

  • Miss KittyMiss Kitty Registered Users Posts: 91 Curl Connoisseur
    I love Deva products especially ArcAngell, it is the only product that works great for me on its own so the price increase is disappointing :cry:

    After some searching the cheapest I've found it is here: http://www.spiralhaircase.com/products/haircare/deva-care/index.html

    Anyone familiar with this site??
    3A & at the bottom of my shoulder blades

    CG since '04
  • EndlessKhuEndlessKhu Registered Users Posts: 9
    hmkenny wrote: »
    Salonsavings.com has some cheap Deva products.

    Thanks. I did try them and I received my products super fast. I'm really impressed with their service so far.
    Long black 3B hair.
    Using DevaCurl products.
  • rmiro13rmiro13 Registered Users Posts: 63
    I've been trying different products because of the price increase in Deva products (I believe it's something like $6 in a few months).

    I'm using Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioner to co-wash. I'm just being good about doing ACV rinses every week to remove any 'cones. I like Tresemme Bouncy Curls gel. I'm a 3b so it's not too heavy for my hair, but I know someone who's about a 2b and can't use it.

    I went for a cut today and my hairstylist told me about the new Naked Naturals line at Walgreen's. I'm going to give that a try next week.

    I order my stuff at CosmeticMagic.com. At least they have free shipping when I order >$40, but my salary hasn't gone up in proportion with the Deva price hike so I have to cut down on their products.
    3b
    www.fotki.com/rmiro13 (PW: goodcurls)
    CG since January 2006
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    here is my take on the price hike and more expensive products in general...

    if the products are tried and true for your hair, why not save and still purchase the products?

    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]Arc Angell[/buylink] is $17.95---Trying five new gels at $5 each is more than buying one bottle of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]Arc Angell[/buylink]. And from all of the threads about gels not working, it is not too difficult to try five gels and have not one work. Even trying cheaper bottles of gel add up to wasted money.

    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]Deva One Condition[/buylink]er 32 oz is $37.95---Trying a liter of Elucence is $20 (may not work), a bottle of Blended Beauty Quenching Conditioner is $18.50 (again, may not work), so now $38.50 has been wasted...enough to buy a bottle of the Deva Conditioner.

    happy shopping! :)
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • EndlessKhuEndlessKhu Registered Users Posts: 9
    Windflower wrote: »
    here is my take on the price hike and more expensive products in general...

    if the products are tried and true for your hair, why not save and still purchase the products?

    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]Arc Angell[/buylink] is $17.95---Trying five new gels at $5 each is more than buying one bottle of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]Arc Angell[/buylink]. And from all of the threads about gels not working, it is not too difficult to try five gels and have not one work. Even trying cheaper bottles of gel add up to wasted money.

    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]Deva One Condition[/buylink]er 32 oz is $37.95---Trying a liter of Elucence is $20 (may not work), a bottle of Blended Beauty Quenching Conditioner is $18.50 (again, may not work), so now $38.50 has been wasted...enough to buy a bottle of the Deva Conditioner.

    happy shopping! :)

    You have a very good point there. Except, once a person finds a product that works for them, they can stop wasting money and start saving more! :)
    Long black 3B hair.
    Using DevaCurl products.
  • SableSable Registered Users Posts: 109
    I use Deva products everyday, I hate the price increase as much as anyone, but it's still a lot less money than I was spending searching for products that work. I have to buy much less products for great hair now with Deva, so for me it's still very much worth it.
    3a/3b/F/ii
    Current Favorites:

    Mixed Chicks Shampoo
    Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner
    Mixed Chicks Leave In Conditioner
  • curlsgirlbrazilcurlsgirlbrazil Registered Users Posts: 234
    I use deva products and I love it.
    But for me the price is expensive:thumbdown:
    I live in Brazil and it is more expensive to buy in the naturally.:cry::cry::cry:
    Please Gretchen put discount coupons!!for us!!
    TIA
    :thumright::love1:
    3b/a


    I like my microfiber towel and plopping

    http://clubedoscachos.blogspot.com/
    No comb,blow-fried, sulfates,silicones detangle Only the [/SIZE]fingers!!
  • alwaysaangelalwaysaangel Registered Users Posts: 55
    So how often do you guys find you have to get more of you Deva products. I'm thinking of switching over when I get my Deva cut but it is really expensive, plus no one near me sells them so I'd have to order online or drive 50 miles. Is this like a once a month thing? More? Less?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ECCurlyECCurly Registered Users Posts: 285
    So how often do you guys find you have to get more of you Deva products. I'm thinking of switching over when I get my Deva cut but it is really expensive, plus no one near me sells them so I'd have to order online or drive 50 miles. Is this like a once a month thing? More? Less?


    I usually buy the liters when I replenish my supplies and they usually last me 3 months. I find it's cheaper that way (especially if you can find a place with free shipping on orders ~$40 and up...cosmeticmagic.com has this offer).
    VERY fine 2B/3A hair
    Chin-length - growing it out...again.
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Registered Users Posts: 264
    Instead of One C, I started using Back to Basics Pomegranite condish. I ended up loving it way more than One C and it's cheaper. Plus, the liter bottle lasted me close to a year and I have really long, thick hair!
    3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

    My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
  • DebbieNY13DebbieNY13 Registered Users Posts: 21
    Thanks! I've never tried that before. So, this is better than the Coconut Mango (Rich Moisture) and the Jasmine Curl versions?

    Price does look better. I just wish I didn't have to buy this stuff online. Why can't we see the really good stuff for our curly hair in a regular store! All the "salon" products that they do carry have never worked for my hair anyway. :sad8:

    Now, if I could only find a cheaper and more accessible way to purchase [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink]....

    Debbie

    Instead of One C, I started using Back to Basics Pomegranite condish. I ended up loving it way more than One C and it's cheaper. Plus, the liter bottle lasted me close to a year and I have really long, thick hair!
    3a w/ 3b tendancies

    Wash: Devacare's No Poo (daily) and Devacurl's Low Poo (once a week)
    Condition: Devacurl's One Condition
    Style: DevaCurl's Angell or MJ Curly Pudding

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file