I've never heard this circ reason before

iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
Sterile urine samples
When you see a young baby that has a very high fever, one thing you immediately think of is a UTI. To rule it out, you need a sterile urine sample. A circumcised penis gives sterile urine naturally, but because of bacteria under the foreskin, an uncircumcised penis doesn’t. So, for a proper workup, you need to tranquilize the baby and pass a tube in, and it becomes an invasive procedure just to get a sample.
(link)

Is that true?
3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Comments

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    WHAT. I don't know but I find it suspect.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't think that alone is reason enough to circ someone. And why would you need to tranquilize a baby to cath him? But yes, there can be a lot of bacteria under the foreskin.

• iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I don't think that alone is reason enough to circ someone. And why would you need to tranquilize a baby to cath him? But yes, there can be a lot of bacteria under the foreskin.

Right, but there's a lot of bacteria naturally living in a woman's genitals and doctors don't need to cath us to get a urine sample and test for UTI. It just doesn't make sense to me.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My son was cathed twice when he had a UTI, and they didn't even mention tranquilizing him. If they did, I probably would have turned right around and walked out the door. Besides, there isn't any bacteria under a foreskin that's still adhered. It's like saying there's bacteria under your nails (where they're attached). And there's bacteria on the tip of ANY penis, so even a sample of a circumcised penis's urine would be contaminated some where it touches the opening where urine comes out (whatever that's called).
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    From the same "article":
    UTIs aren’t bladder infections; they’re potentially fatal kidney infections accompanied by high fevers and bloodstream infections.

Um, no... they only develop into kidney/bloodstream infections if left untreated. They did a full workup on Dylan, and he had no infection in his blood.

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oooooo...I get to use my BS smiley:

bs-smilie.gif

That is total BS. Germs live on the tips of circumcised peni also. If you want a sterile sample, you need to catheterize...snipped or not-snipped. I've cath'd plenty of circ'd little boys to get a sterile sample.
    If you read the rest of that guy's answer, you'll find lots more BS smiley-worthy goodness. Like how it prevents STD's as well as an immunization.

I also love this part:
    Sex is very complex -- it starts with hormones in the brain, and it just wouldn’t make sense if the foreskin had anything to do with it.

So because sex starts in the brain, that means the penis isn't involved? :lol:

• iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I know! I thought that guy's whole piece was bull! It was ridiculous. I don't think I've ever heard such absurd, pseudo medical defenses of circ. I liked the part that a UTI is not just an infection--it's a fatal kidney infection!!! Whatever.

RCW, I'm glad you got to use your B.S. smiley :)
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I just noticed that the author is a Pediatrician (emeritus) at UCSF, which is where my son was hospitalized for his UTI (in his case it was a kidney infection) and all subsequent tests/care.

Thank goodness we didn't deal with him! In fact not one person we saw suggested that my son's condition necessitated that he be circumcized. I flat out asked the urologist (she sees baby boys with UTIs day in and day out) and she said there was no compelling evidence that circumcision should be recommended as a prevention of UTIs.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    I don't think that alone is reason enough to circ someone.

That's what I was thinking too. I might get an infection in my pinkie finger someday in the future, would that be easier to diagnose if i just chop it off now?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file