CurlTalk

While You Sleep...

msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
Do you sleep with your hair "out"? I usually do this when I wear braidouts.
"It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."

Comments

• Curlee QCurlee Q Posts: 523Registered Users
    My hair is shorter now, so this may change as it grows out but I actually sleep with a satin scarf and on a satin pillowcase. It goes back to the days when I used to wear a wrap, when I sleep with a scarf on it seems it keeps my hair more moisturized than when I dont.
  • CheleighCheleigh Posts: 552Registered Users
    Since I've been transitioning, I've been sleeping with my hair braided and rolled. I may do a braidout or twist out the next day, but I still rebraid it at night. I think this works well for me, given my tangle issues, and unless I happen to wear my hair straight one day or already have it in a style, I'll probably braid it and roll it nightly after I'm natural (when I have enough hair to braid, that is). I also either wrap it in a satin headscarf and/or I sleep on a satin pillowcase.
    Natural pics: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpicturetrail.com%2Fshelacious" class="Popup
    pw: kinky
    Hair type: Spongy & kinky texture. Coily & curly strands.
  • NegroHair101NegroHair101 Posts: 9Registered Users
    Yes.

It doen't help to try to do anything because one side of my head will always be flat when I wake up. When I wear twists I can just add water to un-flatten them.
  • lalapixielalapixie Posts: 242Registered Users
    i like to sleep with my hair out if i'm doing braidouts i re-braid but i havent done that in a while just for that reason i prefer just redoing a wash and go from scratch in the morning or shingling which lasts 3-4 days
    violently happy
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    i sleep on a satin pillowcase and tie on a satin scarf
  • kdwhitkdwhit Posts: 23Registered Users
    What is shingling?

Also I'm assuming "braidouts" or "twistouts" is when you braid/twist your hair for a specific period of time, then undo it without comb/brushing?

Thanks.
  • jcce23jcce23 Posts: 91Registered Users
    I don't manipulate my hair at all. I simply cover w. a satin scarf. :)
    1 yr 4 mths natural; type 4a CF iii
    121806-2.jpg
    My hair pics!
    BC: 8/6/05
  • lalapixielalapixie Posts: 242Registered Users
    shingling is described on the curve website and in several threads here but for the record i've returned to braid/twistouts check the routines thread for more info
    violently happy
  • wilykatwilykat Posts: 108Registered Users
    how does the satin or silk help? i use it sometimes but my hair still is dry in the morning.

wilykat
    4a with some 3c around the edges
    .png
  • msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
    It helps me because my hair doesn't get matted. I've been lazy using it lately so today I'm gonna have to detangle for a loooonnnnggg time!
    "It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."
  • wilykatwilykat Posts: 108Registered Users
    no matter what i do my hair gets matted. i'm sleeping on a satin pillow case now but only because it's black and my dh's pillow case is black as well and the bed must match! :wink:

wilykat
    4a with some 3c around the edges
    .png
  • rosewater2rosewater2 Posts: 43Registered Users
    95% of the time I sleep with my hair covered and in some kind of protective style. My hair gets tangled if I don't.
    Recently cut off 4-6 ins of chemically treated hair.
    My hair is a type 4 with precious little coil definition, and it is off black and almost completely virgin.

I have been around NC.com off and on since 1999.
  • DocDoc Posts: 367Registered Users
    I almost always sleep with my hair twisted and covered with a scarf. The only time I sleep with it out is if I know I'm going to wet it the next morning, and then I still wear a scarf.
    Dense kinky-curly; healthy and growing strong!
  • princess8907princess8907 Posts: 6Registered Users
    I always sleep with a satin scarf...the only problem is is that it tend to fall off as I sleep.
    4b natural
    transitioning
    goal of bra strap length hair
  • KnottyKnotty Posts: 164Registered Users
    I'm transitioning and I sleep with my hair in 2 braids.
    3c/4a
    event.png
  • susususu Posts: 767Registered Users
    I usually sleep w/ my hair out. Wouldn't necessarily recommend it, though!
  • gia0202gia0202 Posts: 50Registered Users
    i put it n four cornrows and rub some ojon deep treatement into it... after i finger comb it, then wear a silk scarf. i thin ktht routine is what is standing between me and a bird's nest.
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users
    Nope, It's either in a puff or an updo of some sort. I cover it with a satin scarf or bonnet and go to bed. If I wore it 'out' to sleep, I'd get tangles.
    Big Chop: 12/15/08

Shampoo: As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo
    Conditioner: As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner &
    Tresemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner
    Leave-In Conditioner: As I Am Leave-In Conditioner & Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner
    Moisturizer: As I Am DoubleButter Cream Rich Daily Moisturizer
    Oils/Butters: Coconut Oil & Castor Oil
    Gels: Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~
  • Infinity12Infinity12 Posts: 34Registered Users
    I made silk pillowcases but it'as kinda useless since I sleep in a hat...it's just too cold to sleep bare headed. My silk scarf keep safalling off. Do you recommend pinappling or braiding?
    Infinity
    2c/3a
    Infinity
    www.pianolessonsnj.com
    3a fine i
  • darlingdivadarlingdiva Posts: 64Registered Users
    I sleep with a silk scarf or a satin bonnet. My hair is usually in twists or pinned down if I've worn a twist-out.
  • anonymous_26815anonymous_26815 Posts: 65Registered Users
    when
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users
    Infinity12 wrote: »
    I made silk pillowcases but it'as kinda useless since I sleep in a hat...it's just too cold to sleep bare headed. My silk scarf keep safalling off. Do you recommend pinappling or braiding?
    Infinity
    2c/3a
    I would braid it to minimize tangling.
    Big Chop: 12/15/08

Shampoo: As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo
    Conditioner: As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner &
    Tresemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner
    Leave-In Conditioner: As I Am Leave-In Conditioner & Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner
    Moisturizer: As I Am DoubleButter Cream Rich Daily Moisturizer
    Oils/Butters: Coconut Oil & Castor Oil
    Gels: Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~
    honey3 wrote: »
    when my natural hair was short i would do about 15 loose bantu knots and cover the hair with a satin scarf. then sleep on a satin pillowcase.

now that it is longer, i loosely band my hair into 4 or 2 places. then pin it up. put on my satin scarf and sleep on my satin pillowcase. Roots are loosely banded to avoid alopecia.

my mother used to band my hair as a kid and i found out as an adult that it is an easy way to stretch out natural hair and keep it from tangling at night.

What is a Banto knot? And how do you make one? (or several)? Also, what does loosely banded mean? I don't know what banded is, tightly, loosely or otherwise. I am already overcome with Alopecia and going bald, so I'd really like to avoid further hair loss!

Darlingdiva, where do you buy your satin Bonnets? I've been searching the internet over for a silk, or at least satin bonnet. I can't even find a pattern or I'd make one (which would be my first choice, since I have the fabric and a machine...but I'll gladly buy one ).

Also, what is a braid out? How do you wear and make a braidout?
    What is shingling?
    So sorry for all the questions. perhaps there is a glossary on this website I can refer to?
    Thank you, All! Happy New Year of Curls!
    Infinity
    Infinity
    www.pianolessonsnj.com
    3a fine i
  • forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
    Hey Infinity,

Here is an example of bantu knots:
    YouTube - Natural Hair: Bantu Knots

You can find a lot of tutorials on youtube.

Banding is a tutorial used to stretch tightly coiled hair so that you can reduce tangles. You basically section off your hair, take a bunch of ponytail holders/hair bands and apply some to each section, like in this video:

YouTube - Banding: Stretching Natural Hair Without Heat

You can find a lot of videos on this also. And "lightly banded" just means that you don't make the elastics as tight, like how you're not supposed to make tight ponytails because they'll cause you to lose your hairline.

Satin bonnets--I found mine at a beauty supply store but I have also seen them in drugstores.

A braidout is basically when you braid your hair and then take it out the next day (or whenever you feel like taking it out). You don't comb the results, usually the result is a sort of wave.

Here is an example.
    YouTube - Braid Out

A hairstyle with a similar concept is a twist out, where you just do two-strand twists instead of braids.

I've noticed that your curl pattern is a bit looser, so maybe pineappling might work for you. I've never tried it because it wouldn't do anything for me. Lol. But I have also seen twistouts and braidouts done on looser curl patterns too and they look fine, so you can still do it if you like.

Ummm I don't really know much about shingling, but here is an example (I believe she is a member here):
    YouTube - Airdry & Shingling, trying something new

If you have any more questions, you can just ask! Or run a search if you haven't already.

Happy new year!
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
    Thank you, Forbee!
    I just spent an hour watching Youtube tuorials. Thanks for all the info and links!
    I really like the bantu knots idea. I also want to try twists. I think doing twists might be easier on my arms than doing bantu knots. Do you have a favorite instruction link for making twists? Is there such a thing as a twist out? Or is it just a twist in?
    Thanks! Infinity
    Infinity
    www.pianolessonsnj.com
    3a fine i
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Not Darlingdiva,

But you can find silk hair coverings from this site, Pretty AnntoiNet's. I have the loc tube (but don't have locs) and really like it. It stays on through the night with no problems. I may eventually buy a bonnet.

Darlingdiva, where do you buy your satin Bonnets? I've been searching the internet over for a silk, or at least satin bonnet. I can't even find a pattern or I'd make one (which would be my first choice, since I have the fabric and a machine...but I'll gladly buy one ).

Thank you, All! Happy New Year of Curls!
    Infinity
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
    Thank you, Forbee!
    I just spent an hour watching Youtube tuorials. Thanks for all the info and links!
    I really like the bantu knots idea. I also want to try twists. I think doing twists might be easier on my arms than doing bantu knots. Do you have a favorite instruction link for making twists? Is there such a thing as a twist out? Or is it just a twist in?
    Thanks! Infinity

Hi Infinity. Glad I could be of help.
    I agree that twists would probably be easier on the arms, but I'm biased because I used to stink at bantu knot-outs whereas I was always fine with twists and twistouts. I'm sorry, I don't actually have any favorite links because I have always known how to do twists.

And there is such a thing as a twist out. It's basically the same thing as a braid out except you use two or three strand twists.

The concept of a two-strand twist is pretty simple but here's an example of a three-strand twist (which is actually really easy to do):

YouTube - Easy Three Strand Twist Tutorial
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.