Teething bites

shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
River is getting in some new teeth. These will be his 5th & 6th! Poor little guy threw up the past 2 mornings and has diarrhea & has been very clingy & tired. I called the pedi. for a telephone consult & talked to a nurse. We talked about whether it was food related, a virus or what. I have ruled out a virus b/c he had a virus last month & it just doesn't seem the same to me as it did when he had the virus... No changes in diet either. I told her he was teething.
She said that medically speaking, her books say that teething doesn't cause any fever, vomiting, diarrhea or anything. But she said, from her experience as a mom- her kids both got sick when they were cutting new teeth. Vomiting, etc. So, i'm pretty sure it is the teething. Poor baby. Just had to rant a little.
A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    shelli wrote: »
    River is getting in some new teeth. These will be his 5th & 6th! Poor little guy threw up the past 2 mornings and has diarrhea & has been very clingy & tired. I called the pedi. for a telephone consult & talked to a nurse. We talked about whether it was food related, a virus or what. I have ruled out a virus b/c he had a virus last month & it just doesn't seem the same to me as it did when he had the virus... No changes in diet either. I told her he was teething.
    She said that medically speaking, her books say that teething doesn't cause any fever, vomiting, diarrhea or anything. But she said, from her experience as a mom- her kids both got sick when they were cutting new teeth. Vomiting, etc. So, i'm pretty sure it is the teething. Poor baby. Just had to rant a little.

There are an uncountable number of viruses in the world (billions? trillions?), and they are not going to act alike. A kid who has diarrhea is probably ill, not teething. I just never found teething to cause something pathological like diarrhea. That's not to say that diarrhea is necessarily dangerous or that it always requires a doctor visit. The body is very good at getting rid of illness in it's digestive tract, and nothing should be done to stop a child from pooping if he's having mild diarrhea, as long as he's well hydrated and it doesn't go on for more than a few days. Better-out-than-in, as they say.
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    Shelli-
    S is the same way when he cuts teeth (thankfully we just cut our last one last week). runny stools, vomiting ect, fever, ect. We would spend the days cuddling, everyone would tell me he was getting sick, then pop! a tooth would come in.

Hugs for mommy and baby!!!!!
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file