PSF Castile Soap

alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
Okay, I bought into the hype and got some. Now my face is breaking out. Is this the soap "purging" my skin? I am using this soap and a toner with BHA because I am prone to breakouts. For a moisturizer, I am mixing some of the HA Serum with an oil mixture I make at home (jojoba, apricot kernel, lavender, tea tree and a little bit of lemon). The only thing that I have switched up lately is the cleanser. I felt yesterday like my skin had a sunburn almost. I know that I don't because I have been on night shift the past couple days. Any input??? TIA! :)
3A/3B
I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    alisons79 wrote: »
    Okay, I bought into the hype and got some. Now my face is breaking out. Is this the soap "purging" my skin? I am using this soap and a toner with BHA because I am prone to breakouts. For a moisturizer, I am mixing some of the HA Serum with an oil mixture I make at home (jojoba, apricot kernel, lavender, tea tree and a little bit of lemon). The only thing that I have switched up lately is the cleanser. I felt yesterday like my skin had a sunburn almost. I know that I don't because I have been on night shift the past couple days. Any input??? TIA! :)

What toner are you using?
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i love the cleanser!! i shouldn't have waited so long to try it. i was surprised how clean (i.e. tight) it made my face feel. your other products might be absorbing moreso hence your tight feelings.

after i apply by bha or vit c and the balancing oil w/ ha combo my skin feels balanced and healthy.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
    I am using the Mild Clarifying Lotion from Clinique.
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
    I am using the Mild Clarifying Lotion from Clinique.

Can you list the ingredients on that toner? Apparently Clinique is pretty cagey about not listing their ingredients on their website and I can't find them elsewhere either.
    Sure....but stupid Dillards put the proof of purchase sticker right over the list so I might not get everything. Conspiracy??? ;)

Water, Butylene Glycol, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Cyclodextrin, Salicylic Acid, Panicum Miliaceum (Millet Plant) Glycoprotein extract, aloe barbadensis powder, arginine, peg-10 soy sterol, ceteth-20, dimethicone, ceteth-2, bis-peg-18 methyl ether dimethyl silane, hexadecanol, methylparaben, phenoxyethanol, greenn 5 (ci 61570), yellow 10 (ci 47005) [iln30505]
    3A/3B
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    how much cleanser are you using?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    No more than a dime size. I try to only use enough to cover my face and neck without being too much. I read a lot of the stuff here about it before I bought it so I read where RCW told someone not to use too much at a time.
    3A/3B
    does your face feel dry? a dime size may be too much. try halving that amount...or use even less. i can use half a pea size and still get my face very clean.
    It doesn't feel dry really. I have broken out more than normal and I noticed the other day that I felt sunburned. I've been out of the sun so I know that's not the case though.
    3A/3B
    I'm thinking that I might try some of that DY BHA. Since I have been using it a while, should I go with the 2% or the 5%?

I'm also eyeing that Clarasonic but I don't want to over-exfoliate.

Really, I would like to just keep this all as simple as possible while being as effective as possible. I want a cleanser that isn't harsh, I like the oils that I mix for moisturizer and I know that I need an exfoliant because I frequently get white heads and blackheads. I do my best not to pick because I know this just worsens the problem.

So I guess I need a few more questions answered... :)
    3A/3B
    since you are still getting whiteheads and blackheads, the clinique toner doesn't seem to be working.

personally, i don't feel too much difference between the 2% and 5%. i have a sample of PSF 2% and a full bottle of 5%, and once i have applied them, i can't tell the difference.

so, you could probably get the 5% and be okay.

you can keep it simple:
    cleanser
    BHA
    skin oil

you may want to get a facial brush or some micro crystals to help exfoliate.
    I have tried looking for just a cheap facial brush (I used to use one years ago and loved it!) and can't seem to find them anywhere. I think it's due to the outbreak of all the newer stuff on the market...hence my consideration of the Clarasonic! :) But that's a lot of money for a facial brush...but I will also believe the "product ho" that it's not just a brush or washcloth. :)
    3A/3B
    Sure....but stupid Dillards put the proof of purchase sticker right over the list so I might not get everything. Conspiracy??? ;)

Water, Butylene Glycol, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Cyclodextrin, Salicylic Acid, Panicum Miliaceum (Millet Plant) Glycoprotein extract, aloe barbadensis powder, arginine, peg-10 soy sterol, ceteth-20, dimethicone, ceteth-2, bis-peg-18 methyl ether dimethyl silane, hexadecanol, methylparaben, phenoxyethanol, greenn 5 (ci 61570), yellow 10 (ci 47005) [iln30505]

What a nasty mix of surfactants, emulsifiers and fillers. I would bet my car that the SA in that product is not even active. It's got so many buffers in it that it couldn't possibly be acidic.

I think you should get rid of that product. Preferably replace it with a better quality SA, but even if you don't replace it, at least stop using it.
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have tried looking for just a cheap facial brush (I used to use one years ago and loved it!) and can't seem to find them anywhere. I think it's due to the outbreak of all the newer stuff on the market...hence my consideration of the Clarasonic! :) But that's a lot of money for a facial brush...but I will also believe the "product ho" that it's not just a brush or washcloth. :)

I found a great, cheap facial brush at Ulta. It's by Earth Therapeutics. It's about $3 and it's made a world of difference for me.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • Brooke789Brooke789 Posts: 415Registered Users
    Do you guys think that you need a separate cleanser for removing make-up. Or do you think the castile cleanser is enough?

I've kind of been filling like I need to buy something else to use in the afternoons (when I wash my face to remove make-up). Just wondering what you all think.
    That's what I figured you would say. But I think I'm going to get the 5% one from DY that you've recommended to others and see if that makes it better.

I was going to ask why I all of a sudden broke out after using the new cleanser. And then it dawned on me. My skin usually has small blemishes so that SA probably really wasn't doing a whole lot! Does this mean that there's a possibility to have skin without blemishes??? Who ever knew that existed?!?!

Thanks again for your help! :salute:
    3A/3B
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Brooke789 wrote: »
    Do you guys think that you need a separate cleanser for removing make-up. Or do you think the castile cleanser is enough?

I've kind of been filling like I need to buy something else to use in the afternoons (when I wash my face to remove make-up). Just wondering what you all think.

if i have on foundation/powder i take off the makeup w/ an olay no water needed wipe then i cleanse with my psf cleanser. it works will. i don't like trying to clean my face with my good products with my make up on...
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural

I use an oil to get my mascara off and then follow with the castile cleanser. The castile cleanser is enough to clean the rest of the makeup, but waterproof mascara needs a little extra something.
  • funkediscofunkedisco Posts: 130Registered Users
    I recently switched over to DY wheat germ too and I am breaking out too. I have developed a couple of large 'undergroud' pimples which I haven't had a problem with for a couple years with my old cleanser (Cetaphil). I have been moisturizing with jojoba for night and a sunscreen moisturizer combo for day that claims to be non-comedogenic.

I don't wanna give up on the wheat germ...I ordered some salicylic 3%, hyaluronic, and retin-a but is it normal to get more acne just by changing cleansers?
    2a-3a
    Modified CG
    Suave Lavender Co, Tigi MM, CK, Fuzzy Duck/FX Curl

:) Take up a course in happiness :)
    funkedisco wrote: »
    I recently switched over to DY wheat germ too and I am breaking out too. I have developed a couple of large 'undergroud' pimples which I haven't had a problem with for a couple years with my old cleanser (Cetaphil). I have been moisturizing with jojoba for night and a sunscreen moisturizer combo for day that claims to be non-comedogenic.

I don't wanna give up on the wheat germ...I ordered some salicylic 3%, hyaluronic, and retin-a but is it normal to get more acne just by changing cleansers?

Cystic (underground) pimples are in production for about 2 years before they surface. It's probably just a coincidence.
    Wait...I take it back...I looked at my sunscreen/moisturizer product again and it doesn't claim to be non-comedogenic. I'm stop using it for a few days and see what happens..
    2a-3a
    Modified CG

• helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    funkedisco wrote: »
    Wait...I take it back...I looked at my sunscreen/moisturizer product again and it doesn't claim to be non-comedogenic. I'm stop using it for a few days and see what happens..

I actually had to switch my daily sunscreen/moisturizer ever since I started using DY's WGC. I was using Oil of Olay's complete SPF 15 moisturizer (have been for years) but I noticed that I was still getting some clogged pores. I read the ingreds list and found a silicone in there. I'm not a fan of cones in my hair or on my face. I've since switched to Banana Boat Faces Oil free SPF 30 and my skin is much happier.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
    I've never found a sunscreen that doesn't break me out. I limite my usage of such products and rely on mineral makeup for incidential sun protection and only use sunscreens when I'm spending a day in the sun and then wash it off as soon as I can.
  • Brooke789Brooke789 Posts: 415Registered Users
    I have some of those Ponds Make-up remover at home. Would it be ok to use say in the afternoons (using castile & sa am & pm)??
    ingredients:
    Water, Mineral Oil, Isopropyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Ceteth-20, Triethanolamine, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Carbomer, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, PEG-4 Laurate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Butylene Glycol, Cucumis Sativus Extract (Cucumber)
    I have some of those Ponds Make-up remover at home. Would it be ok to use say in the afternoons (using castile & sa am & pm)??
    ingredients:
    Water, Mineral Oil, Isopropyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Ceteth-20, Triethanolamine, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Carbomer, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, PEG-4 Laurate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Butylene Glycol, Cucumis Sativus Extract (Cucumber)

With the mineral oil and glycerine and a drying type of alcohol and detergents, I wouldn't use it on my face.
    Update:

I found the culprit of my acne. It wasn't the wheat germ cleanser...it was def my moisturizer. I have been using Neutrogena Healthy Defense daily moisturizer SPF 45.

When I was using it after my old Cetaphil cleanser, I think the stuff stripped my skin so much I didn't break out as much but I still broke out some....it become really bad when I switched to the gentler DY cleanser.

My skin is now clearing (sigh of relief). :grommit:
    2a-3a
    Modified CG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file