How can i convince my mom...

~SPONTANEOUS~~SPONTANEOUS~ Posts: 20Registered Users
Hi, I have type 3B 3C curly hair and my mom wants to brush it every day! I get into it with her almost every day because she says that a "normal"person brushes their hair and i tell her that I brush it in the shower and she just acts like she hasint heard me! I am REALLY getting sick of this. So I thought if a whole bunch of people emailed her and told her the truth about curly hair she would get off my back. PLEASE PLEASE can you help me???
Amanda

Comments

• Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you have the Curly Girl book? Maybe if you showed her some of the information published in a book it would help?
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    I don't think a mailbomb campaign would help.

What I do think would help is assembling information on curly hair care and presenting it calmly and rationally. Think of it sort of like a business presentation or school presentation.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    You could also show her some of the fotikis here...there are lots of 3b/cs who have gorgeous, unbrushed hair. If she could see how pretty they look, maybe she'll back down a little.

Does she have straight hair? I ask because my mom does, and she didn't have a clue what to do with my hair when I was a kid.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • RachCurlzRachCurlz Posts: 60Registered Users
    When your having a great hair day, that you haven't brushed, snap a picture. Then brush your hair out when dry, and take another picture. Show your mom the two pictures and ask her which looks better.

I know my hair looks absolutely horrible when brushed, hopefully you can show her the difference. I also recommend showing her the CurlyGirl book, it is very informative. I think I recall seeing a thread on here where people posted pictures of brushed hair. Try doing a search on that. Basically, just show her how much better your hair looks unbrushed vs. brushed, and hopefully she'll get the message. HTH
    3b with 3a & 3c shoulder length curls.
    Mostly CG.
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i agree with the other recommendations. i have a bunch of frizzpics in my fotki--i usually include one in each album. i am probably OLDER than your mom and used to iron my hair in the 60s. she is welcome to contact me if she wants to talk w someone who is not a teenager. if i brush dry the hair goes way out east west and undefined. i had to have someone do it a few times when my arm did not work since it got very tangled. what a nightmare! good luck--
    banjocurl
    [email protected]
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just show this to your Mom. If that doesn't help convince her...

This is curly hair NOT brushed:
    x52rgl.jpg

This is curly hair brushed:

rua054.jpg

I'm not a 3C, but you get the idea. :blob3:
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • curlygreekcurlygreek Posts: 231Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    my parents used to ALWAYS know when i combed my hair in the shower... they'd just look at the drain. Comb your hair, finish your shower, get the hair from the drain and say "look mom... if I didn't comb my hair, how did all this hair get off of my head?"

I doesn't sound like your mom has curly hair. Mine didn't... and she did used to brush my hair every day. Because her's was only wavy (and she didn't really style it that way) she didn't understand quite how to treat my hair. But the first time I clogged up the shower drain b/c of all my hair.. my parents KNEW I was brushing it. It had to come from somewhere... right? ;)
    "The crazy starts deep within and just comes spiraling out the top!" ~ best curly hair quote
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users

x52rgl.jpg

rua054.jpg

Wow! Pictures really are worth a thousand words.

Those are some amazing curls.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Hee hee! I don't know why but I love that you are not smiling in the unbrushed pic and smiling in the brush pic. Fierce!
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    Hee hee! I don't know why but I love that you are not smiling in the unbrushed pic and smiling in the brush pic. Fierce!

I was laughing at myself for taking the pic. :laughing8:

Sadly, I looked like that through all of Jr High and much of Sr High. I didn't know any better. My Mom was very into me brushing, so I can relate to the OP.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • ~SPONTANEOUS~~SPONTANEOUS~ Posts: 20Registered Users
    Sorry it took me so long to reply but my computer was going hay-wire. But THANKS a lot for the replys, im going to send all of this stuff to my mom. And yes, she does have wavy-almost-straight-hair.
    xoxox
    Amanda
    Amanda
  • Readi2BcurlieReadi2Bcurlie Posts: 35Registered Users
    wow I guess we both have those old fashioned mothers- "100 brushes a day to grow your hair"- not for curlies ma!- my mom does this with my daughter, I just simply told her she wasn't allowed in her hair anymore if she couldn't follow my wishes. how old are you? maybe you could do the same, just ask her in a respectful manor to respect your wishes and trust that you've done enough research to know, she may hate it at first and even try to make you feel bad by saying your hair is ugly and nappy, but just ignore that because once she sees YOUR method works just fine, she'll leave you alone about it.
    http://public.fotki.com/readi2bcurlie/
    type 4a/ daughter type 4a/3c/newgrowth=2b
    aiming for 12 inches of new growth and 7 inches before the big chop.
  • Melanie_LinnMelanie_Linn Posts: 457Registered Users
    Redcelticcurls
    I think the second pic looks like crazy 80's hair metal, gone really bad.well worse then normal any way.
    3c/4aMCiii normal/low porosity med elasticty

Shampoo- JC Hydrating Invigorating poo, Alaffia Shea & Virgin Coconut Enriching Shampoo, CV poo bars
    Rinse out- Natures gate hemp, GSAS
    Leave in- GDLI, Beautiful Curls Curl Activating Leave in
    DT- Still working on that
    Styler- Ecostyler Crystal, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme
    Sealer- castor, Shea butter,jojoba oil

I don't know how well I'll keep it up, my blog The Lions Mane
  • JournalistJournalist Posts: 366Registered Users

x52rgl.jpg

rua054.jpg

My problem with my mom isn't as much a "you must brush" but a, your hair NEEDS shampoo! You guessed it! She's got the thinnest straightest hair ever :) I'd really ask your mom to let you go a week or so and have her see that you can take care of your hair, and that you can make it look good too. A week isn't too much to ask, and sooner or later you're going to have control of your hair and she won't be able to really do much about it- why not get her on your side while you can?
    3a/b
    Protein sensitive
    med/low porosity/med texture
    Baking Soda/Vinegar rinses
    Suave Ocean Breeze
    HE TT Gel
    CG since April 12th '08! (No shampoo whatsoever!)
    Fotki
    I have more pictures up! :)
    Seattle for the Summer
  • midtheory23midtheory23 Posts: 9Registered Users
    My mom always tries to brush my hair or run her fingers through it and i tell her she'll just mess it up. she never listens either
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My mom always tries to brush my hair or run her fingers through it and i tell her she'll just mess it up. she never listens either

My mom runs her fingers through mine sometimes too. Since I don't live there now, it's not often enough to bother me. But it's funny b/c she has wavy hair that she straightens, and when she was a teen in the 60s, her mom would try to crimp the waves back into her hair by pinching it with her fingers. :laughing6:
  • doesn't like volumedoesn't like volume Posts: 9Registered Users

x52rgl.jpg

rua054.jpg

how do you get your hair like that!!! it's soooo pretty. i mean the not brushed pic. lol. what type is your hair?
  • notegalnotegal Posts: 560Registered Users
    I would just talk to your mom very calm and be rational. Show her the evidence of what happens when you brush and why you shouldn't brush. Tell her it's just a big NO to brush out the curlies.
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file