Has anyone had a DevaCut?

hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
I have found someone in my area that does the DevaCut. Have any of my fellow 2's gotten a DevaCut? Was it worth it? Did it make you have more curls, better definition? Do you feel like it was worth the extra money?
Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Kasey314Kasey314 Registered Users Posts: 308
    I wish that I could actually vote twice... I've had two different Deva-trained stylists cut my hair. The first one was worth every penny, but the second cut was not worth it at all. This training seems to be v. hit or miss, so one needs to be v. sure that the individual stylist comes highly recommended.
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

CG since 9/06, modified since 3/07.

:coffee: <~~ Me every morning

Updated fotki 5/06/08
    http://public.fotki.com/Kasey314/

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

• hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    That is very good information to have. Though, not what you'd want to hear. I read a few review on this lady's website, and it looked all good. However, since the cost is about twice as much as my normal haircut... now, I'm wondering if it would be worth it. I guess I could try it once and see?
    CK is the one!!

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

What kind of hair do you have? My hair is a little on the thick side, and before I had my first Devacut the shape of my hair was kind of boxy, and this style of cut did really help w/ that issue. Also it helped to seperate my curls and make them lay a little nicer.

W/ this second stylist I am no where near as happy - my hair is starting to look boxy again and the curls near my face are starting to bunch up again.

You can always try it, like you said, and see how it goes. Good luck!!
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

Updated fotki 5/06/08

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

I *think* I have 2b/3a hair. I have some spirals, some waves and some frizz(don't we all). It is medium thickness and actually a little fine. It seems that some days are curlier than others, the only thing that I can determine that helps is that my best curly days have been after a DT. Seems to me that my hair needs more moisture, but I don't get good curls on days that I co-wash...maybe the condish...not sure. (feel free to take a look on fotki... tell me what you think?)
    CK is the one!!

• naisnais Registered Users Posts: 5
    I just had one for the first time and just posted this:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=495724&postcount=2

I think it was great and it makes me hair look good even when I very occasionally wear it straightened!
    2A-C Long fine colored dark brown hair
    hopetocurl wrote: »
    I *think* I have 2b/3a hair. I have some spirals, some waves and some frizz(don't we all). It is medium thickness and actually a little fine. It seems that some days are curlier than others, the only thing that I can determine that helps is that my best curly days have been after a DT. Seems to me that my hair needs more moisture, but I don't get good curls on days that I co-wash...maybe the condish...not sure. (feel free to take a look on fotki... tell me what you think?)

I took at a look at your fotki - you've got great hair!! :tongue5: I agree w/ your 2b/3a diagnosis and that your hair looks like it needs more moisture. Your hair is in better shape than mine was before I started CG - my hair was literally so dry it squeeked in the shower and had no curl/wave to speak of, it was just frizzy. If you look in my fotki you can see pics of me when I was about 3 months or so into CG (they're at the end of my album), and in those pics my hair was much improved!

Co-washing and using NO shampoo whatsoever for about 6 months really helped me get my hair into good shape. What do you use to co-wash? I find OneC to be WAAAAAAAY to heavy for that purpose for me. I really liked No-Poo when I first started CG, and Suave/V05 condish are great cheap alternatives that I still use. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have this great Refresh conditioner that myself and others like, and again it's v. inexpensive.

The trick is to really scrub your scalp w/ the pads of your fingers, I spend at least 2 minutes going over and over my head. There is also a transition period w/ co-washing - I had pretty bad hair days when I first started, but I stuck to it and my hair was v. thankful!!

As far as the Devacut goes, your hair looks like it has a great shape to it already (it lays so nicely in the back!). Is there something about it specifically that you don't like, or are you just in need of a trim? I went for my first Devacut b/c i was unhappy w/ the boxy look of my hair, which you don't seem to have. But, if you are looking to improve something you're not thrilled w/, I say go for it.

GL!! :thumright:
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

Updated fotki 5/06/08

password - curly girl

Thank you Kasey314. I think that I am a little unhappy with the way my canopy doesn't want to curl. I think it is the driest, frizziest part of my hair. I honestly, do not think that a DevaCut would help until I get it back to good shape. However, I have to have my hair highlighted and low-lighted for vanity reasons (I am just not ready to embrace my grays. I am 70% gray-30 not.) However, I also read on another forum that some people are finding the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-lowpoo]DevaCurl Low-poo[/buylink] makes their hair feel dry. I just ordered some Jessicurl, so I'll see if that helps any at all. OR I'll be swapping all of it...and going BACK to Trader Joes.
    CK is the one!!

• JaxieJaxie Registered Users Posts: 1,282
    I'm a 2c/3a but I've had a Devacut and thought it was well worth it. Even if the cut itself doesn't help your canopy, it may still be worth it to get an appt b/c the stylist may have some styling techniques that would help it. That is what I really took from my Devacut!
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
    Finally, a good hair day!! I had a great hair day yesterday, and today's Day 2 hair is pretty good. I just co-washed with a light conditioner and then condished with One Condish. I used a ton of Angell and plopped. I went out last night and had 3 people tell me that my hair looked great!! I might have figured it out... at least for now. :cheers:
    CK is the one!!

Finally, a good hair day!! I had a great hair day yesterday, and today's Day 2 hair is pretty good. I just co-washed with a light conditioner and then condished with One Condish. I used a ton of Angell and plopped. I went out last night and had 3 people tell me that my hair looked great!! I might have figured it out... at least for now. :cheers:

Woo-hoo!! Gotta love good hair when you're going out for the night. :thumright:

Jaxie has a good point- I learned a great deal about how to make my hair look nice from my first Deva stylist, so that may be worth an appointment. Also, my first stylist was great at coloring my hair, and she used semi and demi-permanent color which was less damaging. Even though it wasn't permanent it lasted a v. long time b/c I was not using harsh sulfates - again the coloring may be worth a visit!!
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

Updated fotki 5/06/08

password - curly girl

Kasey314... I think you're helping to turn me into a PJ. I was in Trader Joe's and the Refresh conditioner got into my cart...I don't know how... it must have hopped in when I walked by. Seriously, I thought it smelled wonderful and was po'd when I saw a sulfate in the shampoo and body wash, neither of them made it into the cart. :wink:
    CK is the one!!

Kasey314... I think you're helping to turn me into a PJ. I was in Trader Joe's and the Refresh conditioner got into my cart...I don't know how... it must have hopped in when I walked by. Seriously, I thought it smelled wonderful and was po'd when I saw a sulfate in the shampoo and body wash, neither of them made it into the cart. :wink:

:laughing3: You know that's so weird, the same thing happens to me every time I go to Trader Joe's. That Refresh CO is v. sneaky... :laughing8: (And yeah, I was none to happy when I saw sulfates in TJ shampoos too).
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

Updated fotki 5/06/08

password - curly girl

• merebearmerebear Registered Users Posts: 190
    what is a deva-cut? I am new to this site.
    MereBear
    2B-2C - very wavy with loose ringlets

:wav:
    A DevaCut is a particular cutting method. It is outlined in the book Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey. She also trains other stylists to do the cut. Basically, (from what I understand) they review your curl pattern and then take every clump of curl and cut/trim it separately. The cut is done while your hair is dry, then your hair is cleansed and dried, and then they look back over you hair to make sure it looks like they want it, too. This is opposed to the usual stylist that wets your hair, combs it out straight and then cuts it.

Others who have had one (I haven't) or who understand this more...please feel free to chime in.
    CK is the one!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file