Salon Selectives

BamaCurlyQBamaCurlyQ Posts: 213Registered Users
This is sort of random, but since everyone on here is a product expert I thought I'd ask.

What happened to Salon Selectives??? I use to use their moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and it was so awesome. It was like one day I could find it and then the next it was no where to be found.

Anyone have a clue?:dontknow:
Very Curly and Thick hair.
3a/b.
I think I have medium hair with normal to high porosity. And I need all the moisture I can get!!

Currently using:

C: Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing
S: Ouidad CQ/Pureology Hydrate

LI: AG Fast Food

Stylers: AG Re:coil (super soak), then CIAB and some CHS CK on top.

**trying CCCC & Beuticurls LI

Style: scrunch and finger curl where I see the hair is not clumping well. Diffuse.

Comments

• MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users
    I remember that line. My guess is that it was discontinued because it seemed to disappear off the face of the earth. I never see it in stores.
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • BamaCurlyQBamaCurlyQ Posts: 213Registered Users
    I just didn't understand it. I thought it was a pretty strong line.
    3a/b.
    I think I have medium hair with normal to high porosity. And I need all the moisture I can get!!

Currently using:

Style: scrunch and finger curl where I see the hair is not clumping well. Diffuse.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    I never tried it but now I have the song from the ads stuck in my head!
    I googled it and found this website.... http://www.salonselectives.com/ it looks like they might be re-launching the product line.....
    3a/b.

Currently using:

Now I found some ingredients for the new line and there are some things that concern me. Can anyone tell me if these ingredients are good/bad???

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethiconol, TEA Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Prunus Armeniaca Fruit Extract (Apricot), Fragrance (Parfum), Quaternium 18, Potassium Chloride, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone
    3a/b.

Currently using:

• curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    I used to use this gel from them that came in a pink bottle. It was the first thing I lookd for when I grew my curls out but sadly it was gone. I really hope they are back in stores soon and that there stuff is still good : )
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    BamaCurlyQ wrote: »
    Now I found some ingredients for the new line and there are some things that concern me. Can anyone tell me if these ingredients are good/bad???

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethiconol, TEA Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Prunus Armeniaca Fruit Extract (Apricot), Fragrance (Parfum), Quaternium 18, Potassium Chloride, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

I don't know what the bolded ingredient is, but the rest looks ok -- if I remember correctly, Dimethiconol is water soluble, but I could be wrong. OMG, I love products with peach or apricot in them. Which product is this?
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cetrimonium Chloride

This isn't good. http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/Ltoxiccosmetics.htm#10
    Dimethiconol

I'm not sure why it's -onol instead of -one, but that's basically a cone.
    TEA Dodecylbenzenesulfonate

I found two sites saying this is bad and two saying it's good.
    DMDM Hydantoin

This is a preservative that works by releasing formaldehyde.
  • NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    It looks to me like there are cones in some of their products. I personally stay away from them.
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
    <SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt"><FONT face=Arial size=2>71) TEA-DODECYLBENZENESULFONATE: A moderate surface-active agent to enhance solubility and emulsification properties. Used in conjunction with other major detergent components and helps boost foam volume.

Yeah, I counted that site as one of the sites that thought it was "good" since I guess for some people, "boosting foam volume" is a selling point.

Skin Deep thinks it is good for you: http://cosmeticdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=706463

These guys think it causes cancer: http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/Ltoxiccosmetics.htm#40
    msgiblet wrote: »

I don't know what the bolded ingredient is, but the rest looks ok -- if I remember correctly, Dimethiconol is water soluble, but I could be wrong. OMG, I love products with peach or apricot in them. Which product is this?

I believe those were the ingredients off the moisture renewal conditioner. The curl conditioner seemed like it had better ingredients, but it still has that dimethiconol one it in......

Curl Hydration C (conditioner)
    Ingredients

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethiconol, TEA Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut), Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate, Fragrance (Parfum), Quaternium 18, Potassium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone
    3a/b.

Currently using:

• wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    msgiblet wrote: »

Nope, it's dimethicone copolyol that's water soluble, but dimethiconol kinda looks like a smooshed together version of that, so I can see why the connection got made.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    Oh man, stop playing! They are bringing back Salon Selectives? I used to LOVE SS when I was in HS. My hair was always so soft, shiny and smelled so yummy when I used their products. I hope this new line is just as good.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
    Oh man, stop playing! They are bringing back Salon Selectives? I used to LOVE SS when I was in HS. My hair was always so soft, shiny and smelled so yummy when I used their products. I hope this new line is just as good.

I know I loved it too! It seemed like it really worked well with my hair and then they were just gone!
    3a/b.

Currently using:

I know I loved it too! It seemed like it really worked well with my hair and then they were just gone!

Exactly! They were just phased out of drug stores with no explanation. :( They even had this hair refresher spray that would do wonders to get rid of odor from hair (like cigarette smoke and crap like that) and they had the product that would gradually add highlights to your hair. I used to love using that one.

I went to National Wholesale Liquidators and they sell the gel from back in the day there, but it has French writing on it. I guess it is still sold in French speaking countries. I wanted to try it but there were no ingredients listed on the bottle.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.

Exactly! They were just phased out of drug stores with no explanation. :( They even had this hair refresher spray that would do wonders to get rid of odor from hair (like cigarette smoke and crap like that) and they had the product that would gradually add highlights to your hair. I used to love using that one.

I went to National Wholesale Liquidators and they sell the gel from back in the day there, but it has French writing on it. I guess it is still sold in French speaking countries. I wanted to try it but there were no ingredients listed on the bottle.

If you go to that website that I listed above and then click on buy products online, it will take you to drugstore.com, but not all the products are available yet.
    3a/b.

Currently using:

• CurlyVeeCurlyVee Posts: 340Registered Users
    I loved this line back inthe day, really hope it comes back...smelt good too. Pretty pink bottles <sigh> Leave in was great !!!
    Hyper Sensitive to many things !!!
    2017 Routine: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Cond as co-wash; 365 Fragrance Free Shampoo; Aloe Vera Juice , Water and Apricot Seed Oil as leave in. :blob3:When all else fails, I run back to KCKT and KCCC :thumright: Shampoo weekly - co-wash every 2/3/4 days - just depends :compress:
  • curlycaramelcurlycaramel Posts: 472Registered Users
    I use to love this too! I remember it smelled a little like Apples?

The mousse was the first styling product I ever used on my hair and I liked it, I also remember when it disappeared I sent my mama to get some when she got the groceries and they just happened to be moving all the stuff around, she asked about it and they said they'd have it the following week...I never saw it again :sad8:

Would be interested to see if the shampoo and conditioners are the same...It really bugs me when they enhance or bring back products that are totally different, but still have the same name
    Long thick curls, mix of 3b/3c
  • hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    I can't wait to see this in stores and smell it!! :)
    Here is a question someone asked on the salon selectives site and their response about the apple scent:
    http://www.salonselectives.com/community/apple-scent
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
    I see they are coming out with a weightless foam for curly hair (when you are on the product page, if you click and hold and drag over you can see all the products) and they have some gel... woohoo! It says the foam is "infused with flax seed and apple pectin"
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Just went on their site and there was a question and answer part. One girl was going to Florida and wanted to know how to handle the frizzies. Here is their answer

Hi JulieP, lucky you! Wish I was going somewhere warm.
    First off, make sure to keep your hair well- conditioned...our Silky Smooth Conditioner is a good one. Blot, don't rub, your hair to remove excess moisture.Then use a small amount of anti-frizz serum on your hair when it's still damp. Look for products with dimethicone and / or phenyl trimethicone...these are very light silicone oils that can be used even on fine hair (just not too close to the roots) to maximize shine and reduce frizziness. There are a number of serums on the market. Ours is called Smooth & Shine Smoothing Serum. And remember: try not to handle your hair too much, as this can get the frizz going. Try using a pick instead of a hair brush.
    Good luck and enjoy your vacation.

I personally will be staying away from their products with all the cones in them. I tried to find the ingredients on their condis and other products but they don't list them.

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Here is a site that will notify you when the products are available:

http://www.teebop.com/cgi-bin/category/35SS
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    The ingredients are listed for most of their products that are out now on drugstore.com - they do have dimethiconol in mostly everything (shampoo/conditioners). I am wondering if the foam will have cones too...gonna wait to see as they don't have that one yet on drugstore.com

http://www.drugstore.com/templates/brand/default.asp?brand=7793&trx=29985&trxp1=7793&trxp2=3
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

The ingredients are listed for most of their products that are out now on drugstore.com - they do have dimethiconol in mostly everything (shampoo/conditioners). I am wondering if the foam will have cones too...gonna wait to see as they don't have that one yet on drugstore.com

http://www.drugstore.com/templates/brand/default.asp?brand=7793&trx=29985&trxp1=7793&trxp2=3

I looked at the products too and I really wish they would make it without the cones. But the old formula that I used ( the shampoo was purple and the conditioner had a purple tent to it) really made my hair feel so good and it always looked great when I used it.
    I might have one of the old bottles still at home so I'll look and see what its ingredients are. If the old one does have cones, I might still give the new one a try because apparently it didn't bother my hair.
    3a/b.

Currently using:

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    sunshine75 wrote: »
    ^^^ This is something I've always wondered about.

When companies reformulate their products or new vs. older products - are cones only a recent addition to most products or were they always there?

I hope you still have the old bottles BamaCurlyQ. I would love to know if the formula is very different. :)

I hope I do too. I feel like I might have thrown it out since I knew I couldn't get anymore of it, but I'll look this evening!
    3a/b.

Currently using:

• DebbieNY13DebbieNY13 Posts: 21Registered Users

I recall using that as well many years ago and getting somewhat good results... HOWEVER, I seemed to have gotten much better results with almost anything I used back then. My hair has really changed over the years and what worked then doesn't do a darned thing for me now.

I have had to completely change everything I've ever done to my hair to get it to look remotely healthy now. I would have never dreamed to stop using "shampoo" (I used it every day) and never even heard of micro-fiber towels (that's all I use now).

Sadly, I find that pretty much anything that is easy for me to find or inexpensive does nothing for me. :sad8:

Debbie

P.S. Why the heck did Deva have to raise their prices so much! Now, what I am going to use??? :sad8:
    3a w/ 3b tendancies

Wash: Devacare's No Poo (daily) and Devacurl's Low Poo (once a week)
    Condition: Devacurl's One Condition
    Style: DevaCurl's Angell or MJ Curly Pudding
  • MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users
    BamaCurlyQ, I used to use the purple line too! I think it claimed to give moisture. It had a nice, clean/fruity scent as I recall.

The ingredients of the new products don't seem too special to me, especially since there's an insoluble silicone in them. I liked the old bottles better too, lol. :tongue5:
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
    DebbieNY13 wrote: »

P.S. Why the heck did Deva have to raise their prices so much! Now, what I am going to use??? :sad8:

I just saw the increase today when I went to buy some conditioner. The shampoos and conditioners were $17.99!!!! I couldn't BELIEVE it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file