Shaving Tips?

SpiritAndCurlsSpiritAndCurls Posts: 75Registered Users
Alright, ya'll. Time for curly nitty-gritty time.

I get razorburn. Horribly.

Terribly.

As in, I shaved tonight, and I've never seen so much blood pouring from my pores in my life.

I don't think I need to mention just WHERE I get this little... problem... and to keep things PG, I won't.

I've tried...

BEFORE SHAVING:
Soaking in warm water
Lotion

DURING:
Shaving cream
Constantly cleaning the blade
Gentle strokes

AFTER SHAVING:
Lotion
Baby powder
Cold compress
Benzoyl Peroxide
Hydrocortisone cream

Nothing works. They say shave in the direction of the hair growth, but I never get a close shave that way. It's impossible, you HAVE to go the opposite way to get it all! And THAT'S when I have the excruciating pain and blood.

Help!
Give me [curly] freedom, or give me death!

I REFUSE TO DYE MY HAIR.

Help me
With my CG!!

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i do have the same problem and i find the only things that help are using a sharp new blade and first going in the direction of hair growth (ie. down), then doing a second pass against the grain (ie. up).

some of us are just REALLY prone to razor bumps...

:(
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I find it helps to keep up with the shaving on an almost pathological basis. Whenever I let it go for too long, I'm more prone to bumps. Also agree with Rouquinne, a new blade works best.

Never had the excessive bleeding you seem to have, however.
  • kcurlskcurls Posts: 205Registered Users
    I've read a tip from the 'pros' - strippers - is to shave using no water, just baby powder, and plan on going through at least 2 blades per session.

I've never done this myself, just thought I'd pass this along
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    kcurls wrote: »
    I've read a tip from the 'pros' - strippers - is to shave using no water, just baby powder, and plan on going through at least 2 blades per session.

I've never done this myself, just thought I'd pass this along

omigod, that sounds extremely painful and irritating! Yowza.

On the sister thread [non-hair board version], someone is saying to shave daily. I thought it sounded really intriguing. When I made my earlier post here, pathological meant 2-3x a week. Apparently, you can go all out and shave every day, something I'd never considered.

Apparently it really cuts down [sorry, pun] on irritation.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Ha, that was me and it's 100% truth! I don't think I'd want baby powder anywhere near there though!
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried Tend Skin? It's basically an AHA that exfoliates to get rid of ingrown hairs and cells that can clog up hair follicles and result in bumps. It can burn, however, if you have open sores from shaving. But once you get some control over the bumps, it works great!

Another option would be plucking - which works if you don't have a lot to pluck...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    a quick note about Tend Skin - if you are allergic to aspirin or birch/willow trees, DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!!

some ingredient in it causes an allergic reaction in people with aspirin allergies.

i found out the hard way when someone put it on my brows after waxing...

:(
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeesh, baby powder & no water?! :confused3:

When my skin is irritated, & that's putting it mildly, (always the lower legs possibly due to water retention & varicose veins that cause deep itching that makes me gouge at my skin) & yet I have to shave, I soap up, rinse & soap up again, sometimes adding conditioner to the shave mix & letting things sit in between & right before shaving.

Then after shaving I have to use straight up jojoba oil or a Bath & Body Oil (SPAlicious Macadamia Nut) I bought at Target some years back, which unfortunately they no longer sell. It contains sunflower seed oil, olive fruit oil, sesame seed oil, wheat germ oil, vitamin E, jojoba seed oil, evening primrose oil & macadamia seed oil. It really soothes the inflamed raw-like skin without burning.

GUANO/ Have you all seen the ads for the new Venus 5-blade razor? I still don't understand how 4 blades could possibly be that much better than 3 blades, and now there's 5?! :? Can someone explain this to me? Please! /GUANO
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Re: Venus razors

All I know is, I have never cut myself with one. I ALWAYS end up with cuts and bumps when I start with a new, very sharp razor. I have no idea if it's related to the number of blades, and don't think they do a better job, but it's worth paying the extra money since I don't cut myself! (I got a free one - didn't spend the money to begin with...)
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
    I've never cut myself with a Venus either. And I go really fast and sloppy. I used to excise portions of my ankles quite regularly.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    I've never cut myself with a Venus either. And I go really fast and sloppy. I used to excise portions of my ankles quite regularly.

Me, too!

Ankles and knees.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    NetG wrote: »
    Re: Venus razors

All I know is, I have never cut myself with one. I ALWAYS end up with cuts and bumps when I start with a new, very sharp razor. I have no idea if it's related to the number of blades, and don't think they do a better job, but it's worth paying the extra money since I don't cut myself! (I got a free one - didn't spend the money to begin with...)

I have two of the Venus razors. One is the Breeze, purple, & the other is the original, the pink, whatever its name is. I haven't cut myself with either, also.

I like the Breeze due to more rubber to grip than on the pink one. However, you can't leave the Breeze in the shower if it gets wet between uses or the shaving gel will wash away on its own. And when the gel gets down to a certain point, you can't use it or the plastic housing the gel scrapes your skin.

I recently decided I won't be spending money on the replacement heads when I can get disposables for so much cheaper.
    NetG wrote: »
    Riot Crrl wrote: »

Me, too!

Ankles and knees.

Me three! The last time I remember doing so was with some sort of ladies razor that was tortoise shell color. It was hard plastic, & long & narrow. It would slip in my hands all the time.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I know it sounds counterintuitive, but, for me, shaving more often means less irritation. I used to sometimes go the whole winter without shaving, and the first shave in the spring would set up a series of rashes and irritations that would last through the whole damn summer. Now that I swim every day, I shave every day, and I don't have any irritation.

I just use those cheap disposable pink razors...store brand if I can get them. That way I don't feel bad about using a new razor several times a week.

I've cut the hell out of myself with those Venus razors. I won't buy them anymore. Plus they're expensive anyway.
    I know it sounds counterintuitive, but, for me, shaving more often means less irritation.

Ha, that's almost what I wrote in the other thread last night and I even used the word "counterintuitive." :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file