fellow wavies - suggestions for washing routine?

oethereal1oethereal1 Registered Users Posts: 327
i've been pretty faithful to the CG methods for awhile now except that i've been shampooing with a sulfate free shampoo every day. i cowashed for the first time today, and am delighted by the results. i'm shocked by it, completely.

but i'm definitely going to have to do some kind of wash every day - my hair is about earlobe length and pretty fine, the curl gets mashed easily. it needs direction every morning. so, with that being said...

1- i have a conditioner that i really like, it's pretty heavy on the proteins, which apparently my hair loves. can i cowash with it every morning or will that over-something my hair? when i'm over-moisturized i get frizzy.
2- how do you know when you need to actually shampoo? i'm cone free, so i'm not going to get build-up of that type but i presume you eventually get conditioner build up. would it be smart to start out trying to shampoo every 2 or 3 days?
3- while i was searching for some answers i noticed a few people said they co/lemon wash. what is that?

any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

btw, i'm guessing i'm a 2b/3a-ish type. plenty of hair, pretty fine, very porous.

TIA.

Comments

• eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    You could try just washing with water every other day or so. Be sure to scrub/massage your scalp with your fingertips and rinse well. Then use conditioner to detangle and moisturize the length. Avoid getting it on your scalp. If you cowash your scalp every day, you could get overconditioned. Maybe use the shampoo only once a week, or instead of shampoo try an apple cider vinegar rinse. Use 2 Tb with 2 cups of water, pour slowly over your head, scrunch through, rinse well, then condition as usual.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
    When I was transitioning to shampooing once a week, I would wait until my roots felt greasy. Just experiment with water washing sometimes, co-washing sometimes, and stretching the time between shampoos out.

Co/lemon wash means mixing lemon juice and conditioner together. Lemon juice is acidic, so it's similar to doing an apple cider vinegar rinse.
  • Kasey314Kasey314 Registered Users Posts: 308
    oethereal1 wrote: »
    2- how do you know when you need to actually shampoo? i'm cone free, so i'm not going to get build-up of that type but i presume you eventually get conditioner build up. would it be smart to start out trying to shampoo every 2 or 3 days?

A lot of people find that they never get a conditioner build-up, but I find that my hair gets v. weighed-down/heavy when I need to shampoo. It's not really greasy looking, but it's something like it. For me, it's almost like my hair is no longer using the conditioner, it's just sitting there on my hair, and this causes me to loose my curls/waves. Also, I sometimes will look at my hair and it will just look dull, and if I do a low-poo it will help w/ this.

I agree w/ others that this is something you need to experiment w/. When I was first starting CG my hair was so dry that I didn't use any kind of poo for about 5 months and it was wonderful. Once my hair stopped responding so well, I began to experiment w/ low-poos until I was using one every other day. Now I play around w/ water-washing, co-washing and low-pooing. Eventually you will learn what works best for you. It does take a lot of time for some of us - I've been CG for about a year and a half and I'm still learning!!

You may find it helpful to check out the thread about "trying not to poo as often" on the general discussion board, we talk a lot about when we choose to use one kind of cleaning vs. another. HTH!
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

CG since 9/06, modified since 3/07.

:coffee: <~~ Me every morning

Updated fotki 5/06/08
    http://public.fotki.com/Kasey314/

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

• bostonwavesbostonwaves Registered Users Posts: 727
    I am modified CG, but still need to shampoo every once in a while. I don't know what builds up or why but I need to use a low sulfate shampoo maybe once every 5 or 6 weeks.

I just wait until my hair starts acting weird, then use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Volume-Clarifying-Shampoo-10-oz-p-37.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-volume-clarifying-shampoo]Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo[/buylink] followed by a deep treatment (jessicurl weekly deep treatment) and it brings my hair back to life.

Good luck.
    "What's the good of having naturally curly hair if nobody's jealous?" Freida - Peanuts

~CG 8/06 ~
    fine, wavy - 2b/3a
    KCNT and KKCC
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    Yes, it really does take a lot of figuring out. For example, I clarified on Sunday morning with baking soda and used low-poo. Then I conditioned. I used my gel and plopped. OH My...I had big fluffy, frizzy (not curly) hair all day. I did not wash yesterday, then today I co-washed, conditioned and did an ACV rinse. Used my gel and plopped...I have droopy curly waves today(better than big frizz). I've only been doing this for about a 4 weeks. It gets frustrating, some days I just don't look at my hair until I can try again. :wink:
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • SoCalWavySoCalWavy Registered Users Posts: 92
    When I transitioned from shampoo, I cowashed every day and shampooed once a week. Then I felt safe nixing the shampoo altogether and ONLY cowashing. Then I thought, hey what if I cowashed every other day, and water washed in between. That worked out pretty well, so I thought what if I nix the water rinse and shorten my getting ready time in the morning? Now I cowash about 2x a week and spritz with water in between. It's all about low-maintenance for me, but I had to gradually work my way here with baby steps. Who knows what I'll be doing a month from now.

I think if, 8 months ago someone had said, hey just cowash 2x a week, I'd have freaked out! If you're shampooing every day right now, try replacing that with cowashing, then try the water wash once you feel ok cowashing... you'll know if you get buildup -- less shine, weird waxy feeling hair, less curl. For me, cowashing gets my hair cleaner than water washing.

Kasey314 -- AOHR gives me weird build up too, it's like this heavy producty *thick* feeling. My hair looks really full and somehow straighter, but if I use GLS it goes away. Could it be from the coconut fatty acid base?
    2A/3A, high porosity, fine, normal elasticity.
    Shampoo Bar: Dr. Bronner's Baby Bar
    Condish: KBB Milk/Mop Top/TJ Nourish
    Leave-In: See Above!
    Curl Enhancer: KCCC/BB Gelee
    Hold: Fuzzy Duck(med)/BRHG(strong)
    2nd Day Hair: FOTE + Dab BRHG

Loving BB Gelee right now
    my hair likes: protein, light gels/sprays
    Fotki: pw=curly
  • missy60missy60 Registered Users Posts: 351
    Kasey314 wrote: »
    oethereal1 wrote: »

A lot of people find that they never get a conditioner build-up, but I find that my hair gets v. weighed-down/heavy when I need to shampoo. It's not really greasy looking, but it's something like it. For me, it's almost like my hair is no longer using the conditioner, it's just sitting there on my hair, and this causes me to loose my curls/waves. Also, I sometimes will look at my hair and it will just look dull, and if I do a low-poo it will help w/ this.

I agree w/ others that this is something you need to experiment w/. When I was first starting CG my hair was so dry that I didn't use any kind of poo for about 5 months and it was wonderful. Once my hair stopped responding so well, I began to experiment w/ low-poos until I was using one every other day. Now I play around w/ water-washing, co-washing and low-pooing. Eventually you will learn what works best for you. It does take a lot of time for some of us - I've been CG for about a year and a half and I'm still learning!!

You may find it helpful to check out the thread about "trying not to poo as often" on the general discussion board, we talk a lot about when we choose to use one kind of cleaning vs. another. HTH!

I had the exact same experience I had damaged dry hair from bleach when I started CG. My hair loved it I was strictly CG for months. I started noticing from middle down my hair started looking greasy and flat all the time. I started trying to use less conditioner and nothing helped. I shampooed and that immediately transformed my hair. I tried just shampooing less but I just wasnt getting good results my hair would be dry after shampoo and weighed down after CO only, there seem to be no happy middle ground. Lately I have been using a very diluted non sulfate cleanser everytime I wash and thats been going pretty good.

I would watch my hair for protein overload because I think protein can really build up and cause problems if your not shampooing at all. Protein fills in the hair and makes it stronger but when its just applied over and over without shampoo it build up and causes alot of problems.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Registered Users Posts: 3,135
    For me, it's almost like my hair is no longer using the conditioner, it's just sitting there on my hair, and this causes me to loose my curls/waves.

Ha ha, me too, Aubrey is a harsh mistress. Also, I'm usually always looking for better clumping but when I get overconditioned like that it clumps so much that there are like three clumps on my whole head.

I NEVER managed to overcondition myself in my whole life, no matter how much I tried, until Aubrey.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file