Raided the "ethnic" section at WalMart...

BotticelliBabeBotticelliBabe Posts: 1,574Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Has anyone tried any of these? If so, what's the best way to use them and did you like what they did?

-Palmer's Olive Oil (the semi-solid stuff in the tub that doesn't have 'cones)

-Indian Hemp (kind looks like coagulated butter in a clear tub with a black lid - no 'cones, and tons and tons of "good for my hair" oils)

-BB oil (pink creamy stuff in a pink and white bottle with black writing)

I used the BB oil today as a 2nd day hair saver - my hair hates the 2nd day. I sprayed water all over and scrunched so it was all damp/wet (not dripping), and then scrunched in about a quarter sized puddle all over, then scrunched in about half of my usual amount of gel on just the ends. My hair hasn't dried yet, so I can't tell you if it's a good thing or not, but it feels pretty good so far. I'm thinking the Palmer's or the indian hemp might be good to use as a hot oil DT, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
http://www.BotticelliBotanicals.etsy.com
BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

Botticelli Botanicals Meringue
Botticelli Botanicals Smoothie
Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd w/ double avocado oil and double agave
Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter

Comments

• echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    No cones, but correct me if I'm wrong, there is mineral oil and paraffin in both of those. If that's true then those are a no go for CG. Just making sure, sorry if I'm wrong...
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • BotticelliBabeBotticelliBabe Posts: 1,574Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No, you may be right. I get so excited when I find something 'cone-free that I forget to check other stuff. The pink stuff I used yesterday has castor oil - not sure about the other two. Maybe I'm better off using grapeseed and olive oils with some fragrance oil or something - I dunno yet what my hair likes. I just know that as a recovering 'cone addict, it currently hates being coated with synthetics.

Is there a link or a thread that discusses the really bad stuff like oils and waxes, aside from just the 'cones? It's hard for me to know because some oils are so good, and some are off-limits, and I'm just starting...boy - I could use a mentor! :drunken::tongue3::toothy3::binky::blob8: Sorry...11 month old loves the smilies...

So you're saying that there's really no good use for them? :sad7:
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

Well, if you're trying to avoid shampoo or reduce the frequency of washes then you should avoid mineral oils and derivatives(paraffin, pertroleates, mineral oils). These cause buildup that will eventually need to be removed with shampoo. Sorry.
    As for the thread/pages that discuss what stuff to avoid, maybe someone that has that page bookmarked can jump in here, I'm on my work computer and don't have access to all of my bookmarks on my laptop.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
  • BotticelliBabeBotticelliBabe Posts: 1,574Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hmmm...maybe I can use them and then 'poo with my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]jessicurl HCC[/buylink] to remove any buildup. Not sure if I want to do all that though.

Hopefully someone can post some links!! Thanks!
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would steer clear of the petrolatum and mineral oil. No, I would never use Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizer!

Some CG-friendly "ethnic" products that tend to be popular with White women are:
    Creme of Nature shampoo
    Sta Sof Fro (diluted w/ water if your hair is 3 or less)
    Africa's Best Herbal Oil
    Wave Nouveay Mousturizing Mist
    Fantasia ic gel w/ sparkle lites
    SheaMoisture Shea Butter leave in conditioner

Well, if you are trying to give CG a good go before you give up( not suggesting that you will give up:wink: but if you do), I would recommend avoiding the mineral oils, paraffin, petroleum oil, beeswax, silicones-xanes. These are the ingredients responsible for build up and require shampooing more frequently in order to remove the build up. Which is what you are trying to cut down on right?
    While agree that CG isn't for every one, you should really try first. Not that shampooing is the end of the world, heck I even occasionally shampoo with a regular shampoo if my hair is not cooperating for days on end. But the point is to try CG for several weeks so that you can get to the point where your scalp heals from damaging chemical and harsh treatment. A healthy scalp makes for healthy hair and when you wash away the natural hair oils you are just creating an endless cycle.
    CG is so different for everyone that's why is so difficult in the beginning. Everyone's routine is just slightly different, as no 2 heads are the same. Try looking at people's sig lines and notice their hair type, if it's similar to your own make a note of their products and try them out.
    The biggest reason why I answered your post BBabe is that our hair (except for the color) is pretty similar. In length and type. My fotki needs updating but you can get the gist from the current pics. My hair is much longer now and much healthier too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file