CurlTalk

Beach Body

malafachamalafacha Posts: 301Registered Users
See, I want to try working out at home and am interested in buying a home work out program.

Which one have you tried, what were the pro's and con's of that program and would you recommend it?
It's five o'clock somewhere! ctail.gif

Comments

• SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    What are your goals, and what do you enjoy doing?

I haven't completed any of the entire programs. I do workouts from Slim Series and from P90X and P90X+. Slim Series is effective but not what I'd call a whole lot of fun. Other people have posted that they really like TurboJam (fun and effective cardio for fat burning) and Yoga Booty Ballet.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • malafachamalafacha Posts: 301Registered Users
    I like doing stuff that's fun, tae-bo and normal aerobics don't really cut it for me. The turbo jam and power 90 are the ones that I'm currently interested in. Right now I want to concentrate on fat-burning with the home programs, since I'll be hitting the gym for weights starting March.
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    I love Debbie Sieber's Slim in Six.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beachbody.com%2Fproduct%2Ffitness_programs%2Fbest_sellers%2Fslim_in_6.do" class="Popup

It's got three different fitness levels and gives you a really great workout.
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
    Given your goals, I'd go with the TurboJam. They're supposed to have great music and be a lot of fun. The CardioParties are popular.

I think P90 is a mix of cardio and strength training. I've done 2 of the Slim in 6 workouts (Tear It Up & Shape It Up), which are aerobics with light weights. They do the job, but the music is not motivating at all and the reps seem to go on forever! I think they're good workouts, but there's no fun factor.
    formerly Castella
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users
    Castella wrote: »

I haven't completed any of the entire programs. I do workouts from Slim Series and from P90X and P90X+. Slim Series is effective but not what I'd call a whole lot of fun. Other people have posted that they really like TurboJam (fun and effective cardio for fat burning) and Yoga Booty Ballet.

I just did chest and back from P90X last night with my husband and the pain, oh the pain!!!!!!!!! Seriously, I felt good but I have never done so many push ups in my life!

malafacha - I have Turbo Jam and I like it. I don't do it on a regular basis because it is too repetitive to me and I get bored very easily. I also have Slim in 6 - effective but very boring to me anyway and have done other non-Beach Body stuff like the Firm (I have the old Fanny Lifter model and it is VERY effective when I stick with it) and Tae Bo which worked well for me in the past. As you can see, I have a lot of home workouts and despite that, I'm still fat. You just have to get something that keeps you motivated. I am just getting back into a regular routine again and am going to rotate a lot of my workouts to keep myself from being bored. I'm also using my treadmill.
    316vq4y.jpg
  • Hairblogger â„¢Hairblogger â„¢ Posts: 564Registered Users
    A friend gave me the beach body Turbo Jam ones as a gift. They're pretty good and very motivating...

But my favorite tapes overall are by Rodney Yee (yoga for abs, meditation, am/pm) and Ana Caban (pilates series).
    'Goddess Hair & Skin Recipe Book' devotee 4life!

Co-Wash: Aubrey O. HoneySuckleRose Cond.
    Poo: 1-2x ~monthly~ w/AO 'poo+Baking Soda
    DT: Honey + any Aubrey Condish
    Leave-Ins: Sheamoisture / RJML Cactus / KBBmilk!

[/COLOR]
  • TwoMoonsTwoMoons Posts: 754Registered Users
    I get all my workouts from Fit TV. I do alot of Yoga from Namaste Yoga and my goal for this year is to learn how to Belly Dance from Shimmy. I have always wanted to learn how to Belly Dance but right now I am HORRIBLE at it.
    :coffee::bunny::cat::headbang:OTAKU 4 LIFE!!!!

"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.”

I <3 Cats!
  • HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
    I have turbo jam and it's my sh*t. That little woman Chalene is great and I find myself singing the songs. I need to start doing it again. It's very fun and it works.
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMsHeatherNicole%2F" class="Popup

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users
    I also love Turbo Jam, as well as Slim Series and Slim in 6. I've heard amazing things about Power90X, too.
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,366Registered Users
    I've got a couple of friends who have done some amazing weight loss and toning with a dance program and WII - one of them lost quite a bit of weight while her husband was in Army boot and was able to shock the socks off of him at graduation. She said it was so much fun.

And we are talking at least 4 dress sizes and I am thinking 6 or more for both ladies.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Turbo Jam is great!! I have been doing Billy Blanks Taebo for a few years and tried Turbo Jam when I was visiting my sister and I was soooooooooooo sore the next day.

Speckla
  • Charming NotionCharming Notion Posts: 697Registered Users
    susancnw wrote: »
    I've got a couple of friends who have done some amazing weight loss and toning with a dance program and WII - one of them lost quite a bit of weight while her husband was in Army boot and was able to shock the socks off of him at graduation. She said it was so much fun.

And we are talking at least 4 dress sizes and I am thinking 6 or more for both ladies.

what was the program?
    and when you say WII do you mean the gaming system?
    formerly;; girl anachronism

politics is like me and my buddy going hippo hunting. we shoot a hippo and it falls on us. now, instead of using our joint effort of pushing the hippo off of us, we arue for 5 1/2 years on who's idea it was in the first place to go hippo hunting.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users

what was the program?

bump...

Interested in knowing the answer to the question too.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • CurlyfuzCurlyfuz Posts: 73Registered Users
    Windflower wrote: »

what was the program?

bump...

Interested in knowing the answer to the question too.

Well if she talking about the gaming system there is a thing you can buy for it called Wii Fit.
    You can tone up and it calculates how much you have lost,and you do tons of things.
    2C/3a
    Loving Suave :toothy7:
    Growing out.
    Trying to find a cheap alternative to CurlKeeper.
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    sariroo wrote: »

I just did chest and back from P90X last night with my husband and the pain, oh the pain!!!!!!!!! Seriously, I felt good but I have never done so many push ups in my life!

malafacha - I have Turbo Jam and I like it. I don't do it on a regular basis because it is too repetitive to me and I get bored very easily. I also have Slim in 6 - effective but very boring to me anyway and have done other non-Beach Body stuff like the Firm (I have the old Fanny Lifter model and it is VERY effective when I stick with it) and Tae Bo which worked well for me in the past. As you can see, I have a lot of home workouts and despite that, I'm still fat. You just have to get something that keeps you motivated. I am just getting back into a regular routine again and am going to rotate a lot of my workouts to keep myself from being bored. I'm also using my treadmill.
    I'm in week 7 of the P90X lean. I LOVE IT! I have a six pack, and now from all of the upper body work I have "guns" ...albeit 6" pythons but, they're there...lol
    here are my progress pics=
    Daily Plate
    I'm very pleased with my progress so far. I can do Man push ups and chin ups now!
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    I can't see the pics, but I'm excited for you! Great job!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    echokitten wrote: »
    sariroo wrote: »

I'm in week 7 of the P90X lean. I LOVE IT! I have a six pack, and now from all of the upper body work I have "guns" ...albeit 6" pythons but, they're there...lol
    Daily Plate
    I'm very pleased with my progress so far. I can do Man push ups and chin ups now!

Holy cow, lookit those muscles! You look HOT! Good job!
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
    2poodles wrote: »
    I can't see the pics, but I'm excited for you! Great job!!
    Is the link not working? I didn't want to post them directly into this thread because I can't for some reason, shrink them.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
    I think you have to register on the site where the pictures are posted, to be able to view them.

I didn't see the picture, but congratulations! I can do man pushups nowadays too (but I still hate them to pieces). I figure it will take me a year or so to work up to a full-fledged pullup. If I ever make it, it's going on my tombstone!

Good to hear you're reaching your goals!
    formerly Castella
    Oh, I didn't realize you had to register to view them. Well, in any case...they're also in my Fotki if you still want to see them. :nike:

OMG. Just wow. You look amazing, echokitten! You definitely win the beach body contest. And you've been doing that 90X workout? Are you allowed to eat anything? Does it come with a diet plan? Maybe I should look into that program. It'd probably kill me, though.
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

2poodles wrote: »
    OMG. Just wow. You look amazing, echokitten! You definitely win the beach body contest. And you've been doing that 90X workout? Are you allowed to eat anything? Does it come with a diet plan? Maybe I should look into that program. It'd probably kill me, though.
    :compress: thanks 2poodles. Love the compliments:toothy7:!!!
    Well, I do a couple of things in conjunction to get those results. First off I use the Daily Plate website to figure out what my daily calories are, you can set it to your age, weight, height and weight loss goals. I am set for losing .5 lbs week, I originally had it set to lose 1lb a week until I reached 110, once I was under 110 I reset the weight loss goal to something a little less aggressive. I have a self prescribed "clean diet" and I consume around 1500 net calories a day, which means I am allowed approx 1500 cals but if I burn off 300 cals working out I can "eat those cals back" . I know it sounds wonky, but in reality your alloted daily cal intake on that site already take your weight loss into consideration, any exercising you do is a bonus of burned cals to eat. It's a pretty good action=reward system.
    Anyhoo, no more processed foods except for my meal bars and cereal. Skim and fat free items, only for the reduced cals I don't care much about the fats. I get 90% of my protein from fish, I eat raw veggies primarily and berries and bananas instead of high calorie larger fruits and veggies. It's called "eating clean" or body builders sometimes call it "cutting". My diet isn't as extreme as some of the ones I have seen. I try to shoot for the most nutritional value per calorie/serving of what I need. I also adjust my foods to match my workouts, I eat more complex carbs on heavy cardio days and more protein on weight lifting days. But I also eat every 2-3 hours and my meals are always less than 300 cals and snacks are less than 150 cals, so I'm never hungry because I'm always eating. I try to shoot for 1gram of protein for each lb I weigh, right now 108g of protein per day.
    The P90X workout system is awesome. It's really a bunch of workouts that are designed to eliminate the body's ability to adapt to the work, which eliminates the weight loss plateau that many people experience when they adjust to a workout. It's customizable as well, because it's a lot of old school calisthenics and barbell lifting and the like. So in reality, anyone can do it. When I started, I could only do 5 knee push ups and no chin ups. I was so weak...Now I can do 20 man pushups, and if I'm feeling particularly strong I can do 5 chin ups. I am also lifting really heavy weights (for me anyway) and absolutely love the definition it gives my upper arms.
    But the best and hardest IMO is the AbRipper, 350 ab exercises in 15min. (although abs are 20% workout/80% diet--a clean diet makes fat go away, which makes the actual muscles visible) P90X does come with a diet plan, there is a book that explains it all. It says in the disclaimer though that it's for people who are already in good/fit physical condition and want more out of their workouts. But you should see some of the before and afters, yikes. I think really anyone can do it after seeing those :wink: I mean, I was already in great cardio shape, lean and did a fair amount of core stability before I started and I HATED that first 2 week period...

Echokitten - thanks so much for the detailed response. I must say, I applaud your hard work and dedication - it has truly paid off! I'm off to check out that 90X website and the daily plate site....

Here is the link...
    P90X
    DH bought the stripped down system, all you need is the DVDs and the instruction book and the diet plan book. The rest of the stuff they try to sell you is of course extra$$ for a whole lot of nothing. And although it is still expensive, I don't think I'll ever buy another workout dvd ever again, since there are 12 different dvds the possibilities are endless. I gave all my other workout dvds to my mom and sister.

I can tell you exactly what extras are imperative:
    yoga mat
    medium and heavy resistance bands
    chinup bar (get the kind that screws into the door way. it is sturdier)
    hex barbells in whatever weights you want, women usually get 3, 5, 10, 15 and 20-25 lbs.
    Or you can get barbell handles and small (2.5 lb) weight plates and adjust them according to the exercise, which is what we did.
    We got all of our extras at a used sporting equipment resale store pretty inexpensively.
    Most of the workout equip. can be found on the cheap and the P90X recovery drink/meal bars are a waste IMO.
    I just wanted to also say that Tony Horton, the dude who created this workout, is very motivating in a super dorky way, which I like.
    I try to keep up with the women in the daily workout, which is really difficult. These women are ripped and not to be trifled with!
    And, don't be afraid of lifting heavy, he says it over and over. I lift as heavy as I can for 8-10 reps and my definition came very quickly.
    My workout for today: Back and Biceps and Ab RipperX. Then cardio, cardio, cardio...because I'm a workout machine right now...:happy2:, well that and I need to burn off what I'll end up drinking cal wise in Mich Ultra tonight lol I mean it is the 4th of July!

• realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users
    guano:

Kitty your hair looks fabulous! You must PM me and tell me what's been working for you.

(And your beach body is totally hot too!)
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
    realistic wrote: »
    guano:

Kitty your hair looks fabulous! You must PM me and tell me what's been working for you.

(And your beach body is totally hot too!)
    OOHH, thanks! I have been using in this order: [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Aloeba[/buylink] as leave in, White Boots, Bioterra gel plopping for a ridiculously long time (like over an hour) and frequently air drying in the AC at my shop to avoid the Cinti humidity. I have actually been using a stash of Activate that I bought for DH, to conserve my HCC, and have been pooing about 2-3 times a week, mostly because of my super sweaty summer workout schedule.

• sundaysunday Posts: 535Registered Users
    I just wanted to also say that Tony Horton, the dude who created this workout, is very motivating in a super dorky way, which I like

totally agree.

I have Power 90 (the original). It works if you follow it. I like that the moves are simple and easy to follow and I also like the bar on the side of the screen that tells you how much time you have left. But it does get boring doing the same two workouts week after week. I turn off the sound and put on my own music, which helps.
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
    sunday wrote: »
    I just wanted to also say that Tony Horton, the dude who created this workout, is very motivating in a super dorky way, which I like
    totally agree.

I have Power 90 (the original). It works if you follow it. I like that the moves are simple and easy to follow and I also like the bar on the side of the screen that tells you how much time you have left. But it does get boring doing the same two workouts week after week. I turn off the sound and put on my own music, which helps.
    I have the P90X which is 12 dvd workouts. I have never had so much variety in a workout system ever. I highly recommend it if you can afford the $$. If you are already doing the Power 90 original, you would love the P90X.

• malafachamalafacha Posts: 301Registered Users
    echokitten wrote: »
    Daily Plate

wow...nice job! Is the power 90 for when you're in good physical shape already?
  • Kathy450Kathy450 Posts: 25Registered Users
    I find home exericse videos good fun and help me to keep (relatively fit)! Davina Mccalls are always good but that cos i like her and they are not too strenuous. I really want a Wii Fit - this is the cheapest i found not cheap enough - their are so expensive:cry: One day perhaps one day . . .